SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dee_kay5

priming and painting a gas wall heater cover

Dee Kay
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi!

We live in a small house that has a super efficient (heating is only $60 a month for us to be toasty warm) gas wall heater. We stripped the cover, which had dozens of coats of old paint (our house was built in 1959), and are ready to prime and paint it. I am having a hard time finding non-toxic (or the least toxic) type of paint to put on this. It seems high heat paints have high VOC levels and are not recommended for indoor use. However, they are still making these kinds of heaters, so someone, somewhere knows what it the best to use. The cover is steel, so a good primer is required I just don't know what we should use. Any ideas? I keep searching the internet and everyone wants to tell me HOW to paint it---I know that (duh), but no one will say what is best to use (I am looking at you, Bob Villa....). I am hoping for spray on, since it has two rows of tight vents going down the length of about 3.5 ft, with also the bottom cover (1 ft). Anyone have experience with this and know for sure? Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?