SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sergey_grigorian

Spray foam insulation in hot and humid climate

spec
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I'd like to get advice whether whole house spray foam insulation makes sense in a hot and humid climate. Most of the year AC is running, and heating may be needed only a few days a year. We will be starting new construction soon, and the builder recommends spray foam insulation in all the exterior walls and in the attic. The house will be built on a slab with 2x6 exterior walls, and with a tile roof, if that matters.

Specifically, my questions are the following:

1. In a hot and humid climate, does exterior wall spray foam insulation lead to any significant savings in energy costs, compared to standard insulation? I understand that attic insulation may be more significant in this respect.

2. Due to the climate, windows are opened rarely, so could spray foam insulation contribute to stale air in the house? Some previous threads mentioned the need for an ERV system in some situations. How would this work to bring in outside air when it's 100+ degrees outside? Would this negate the energy savings due to foam insulation?

3. Would driving a nail or a screw into a wall with foam insulation damage the foam?

I know there have been earlier threads on this topic, but I found that some are quite old and don't specifically relate to my climate zone.

Comments (3)