FOTESS OCTOBER~~HUNGRY AS A WOLF....LET'S TALK CHOW

canyonwind
2 years ago

Happy OCTOBER FOTESSERS!!

~~~~HUNGRY AS A WOLF....LET'S TALK CHOW~~~

Signs up through October 8

Partners posted October 9

Please send by October 23

We shall be focusing on food this month. I, for one, have been doing very little cooking but that is pretty usual for me during the hot Summer months. Good food seems to taste better during the Fall and Winter months. So here we go.......

Regarding the swap send......

*you will make your partner a card that is somehow food related.....use your imagination.

*please include two packets of commercial seeds....if you know your partner enjoys growing vegetables or herbs, send vegetables or herbs. If you know your partner prefers flowers over vegetables or herbs, send flowers. It would be a great idea, if when you sign up, you post what you prefer.

AND

Since we are talking CHOW this month of October....

Then Let's Talk Chow!!

You will be required to post here various recipes by a given date.

Please post an enticing, delectable APPETIZER between Oct 9 and Oct 13

Please post an amazing SIDE DISH between Oct 14 and Oct 18

Please post an incredible MAIN DISH between Oct 19 and Oct 23

Please post a sinful DESSERT between Oct 24 and Oct 27

The recipes do not have to be difficult or ornate. Food is so personal. There is nothing better than a recipe that talks to you and then tastes so darn good. Part of the art and joy of cooking is getting refreshed with a new and maybe unique recipe or idea. Be adventurous and have fun. You do not have to prepare the dish for show BUT............................................................LOL!

OK, that is your month of OCTOBER you little WOLFETTES.

I will have games, of course. Wolfette Annie needs to put her thinking fur on.

Happy Eve!!

Annie

Comments (340)

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    2 years ago

HINTS....there is a Beatles connection here.....did they win a grammy or not? HAHA

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Jayeanne guessed Joe Cocker. However, her post is not showing for me.

Joe Cocker died several years ago. This is a group, not a single person.

Woolfetta Margo, Zucchini Brownies and With Frosting....YUM!! These sound great!! TY!!

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener
    2 years ago

How about Air Supply?

• ruthz
    2 years ago

Choosing which dessert was hard but since it's Fall, here's one of my favorites

APPLE CAKE

4 cup peeled and chopped apples
    2 cups sugar

raisins (optional)
    1 tsp. cinnamon (or 3/ 4 tsp. cinnamon and 1/ 4 tsp. nutmeg)

2 cups flour
    1 tsp. salt
    1 1/2 tsp. baking soda

2 eggs
    3/ 4 cup vegetable oil
    1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract

1 cup chopped nuts

Mix together apples, raisins, sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl and stir thoroughly. Let this mixture sit for one hour, stirring occasionally. Juice will begin to form – do not drain off.

Mix together flour, salt, and baking soda in a separate bowl.

Grease and flour a 9” X 13” pan.

After the apples have marinated for an hour, preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix together the eggs, oil and vanilla and add to the apple mixture. Stir well, and then add the flour mixture. Mix well with a spoon and then add the nuts.

Mix and pour into greased 9x13 pan.

Bake for about 45 minutes.

Can frost or not

I have sprinkled powdered sugar, iced with Caramel Frosting or Cream Cheese Frosting

but this Caramel sauce is my favorite

Caramel Sauce

1 cup butter

1 cup sugar

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup cream

Pinch salt

2 tsp. vanilla

Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil and then simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.

Remove from heat and add vanilla

• smitties
    2 years ago

The Monkees

• ruthz
    2 years ago

The Kinks

• sandlapper_rose
    2 years ago

Time for Dessert! 3 Layer Cake

1 pkg. Butter Cake Mix

4 eggs

1/4 c. oil

1 can mandarin oranges (do not drain)

Mix and bake with batter divided in 3 cake pans at 350 degree (pre-heated oven) for 25-30 min. or until done.

Frosting:

1 (16 oz.) can crushed pineapple

1 large container Cool Whip

1 large box vanilla instant pudding. Beat & Frost cake.

(This recipe is from awhile back so it was listed for a Duncan Hines Butter Cake Mix. If that is not available, substitute. Also sizes may have changed on canned pineapple and Cool Whip so it it looks like too much, just don't use the entire container. However, this cake is delicious! Pulling the recipe out reminds me that I need to make one sometime soon.)

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I could not check on you Woolfetta's last night....internet down and I think you needed a break from this WHATEVER MUSIC stuff and ME.

Woolfetta Jeanne, 3 Layer Cake.....thank you for this dessert submission. Mandarin oranges with the liquid/undrained.......I bet this is a very moist cake. Thank you!!

Everyone has submitted there recipes.... Thanks so much Woolfetta's!!

THE WHATEVER GAME.....

Back to the Q that has been on the burner since Monday.

Woolfetta Ruth is back guessing I see....YAH!

OK, ladies some very good guesses but no banana. BUZZ on Air Supply, The KInks, The Monkees, The Rolling Stones. Now I have to say, that I was JAZZED big time to see Margo's guess of The Monkees....Hey, Hey were the Monkees. I am a big fan of the MONKEES. Possibly, you chose them Margo because of cute Davey Jones. No, crush/obsession there...LOL!

Hints....these guys became big in the early 70's......never as big as the Rolling Stones...... this group has a very loyal following......they did have a big song with a ladies name. NOT hard rock.

No disco.........

Actually, I am a bit surprised that no one has guessed this group. But that could be because you are not in to them.....understandable.

Get to it.....this Q is still worth 15 points

Whatever Game points thus far.....

Woolfetta Susan.......40 pts

Woolfetta Ruth.....36 pts

Woolfetta Jayeanne.....31 pts

Woolfetta Jeanne......10 pts

Woolfetta Margo.....3 pts

And Margo, I tried the Hickory Nuts.....YUMMY. I think is tastes like a brazilian walnut. Thanks again for sending in OBF Letters Of The Season.

• smitties
    2 years ago

Has anyone guessed the Eagles yet

• ruthz
    2 years ago

Duran Duran

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    2 years ago

BUZZ on Spyro Gyra, BUZZ on Eagles,,,,I can't remember if they have been guessed before and BUZZ on Duran Duran!

I totally forgot about Spyro Gyra and Duran Duran.....Duran Duran would have been appropriate because of there song "Hungry Like A Wolf" LOL!

HINTS....one member plays several instruments......I would not say there music is "jazz" but you might here a trumpet once in a while......they did a Christmas album in the past and on this album they co-wrote 2 really nice songs....these guys know how to harmonize beautifully

• smitties
    2 years ago

Trans Siberian orchestra

• ruthz
    2 years ago

America

• smitties
    2 years ago

Kiss

a favorite of mine

2 years ago

I’m going to say The Bee Gees

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    2 years ago

OH MY GOODNESS WOOLFETTA'S.......WE HAVE A CORRECT ANSWER TO THE QUESTION.....repeat........WE HAVE A CORRECT ANSWER TO THE QUESTION.

And.......drum roll please.......Wolfetta Ruth got it. YAH....my beloved America. I love America, the country and America the musical group! I am curious Wolfetta Ruth, what clue talked to you and gave you the correct answer????? 15 points for Wolfetta Ruth!! Congratulations!!

I will be back tomorrow. Let us see if The Whatever Game continues.

2 years ago

Congratulations Wolfetta Ruth!!!

I wanted to take a moment to thank Wolfetta Annie for hosting and everyone for sharing all of their delicious recipes. This has been a fun month for sure, and the games have been awesome too. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

We are having some amount of rain every day and that trend is expected to continue over the next few days. We are still having mild temperatures in the 50s and I am grateful because I have so much left to do outside to wrap up before winter.

• ruthz
    2 years ago

Wow, can't believe I got it. Not one clue but a combination helped.

The clues I used were;

This is a group

they still perform........no women

The group I want you to identify has never taken a break.

This group has recorded several songs with a woman's name in the title.

They have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame

• pinkiris
    2 years ago

Yay! Ruth!!

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Good Morning/Afternoon Woolfetta's....

Good Work Ruth!!

Well, we are going to call it a day on THE WHATEVER GAME. You have all been great troopers in your play! You need PEACE!!

Our final tally....THE WHATEVER GAME

Congrats Ruth!! YOU WIN A PRIZE!!

Woolfetta Ruth.....51 pts

Woolfetta Susan....40 pts

Woolfetta Jayeanne.....31 pts

Woolfetta Jeanne....10 pts

Woolfetta Margo....3 pts

NAME YOUR COOKBOOK

Congrats Ruth and Jayeanne!! YOU EACH WIN A PRIZE

I will say, it has been a pleasure wolfing with you FOTESSERS this month.

GREAT GROUP!! Thank you. And I so appreciate your outstanding APPETIZER, SIDE DISH, MAIN DISH and DESSERT recipe postings. THANK YOU very much!

Since you are all so wonderful, everyone is a WINNER this month, regardless if you won a game or not. So Wolfetta Ruth, Wolfetta Susan, Wolfetta Jayeanne, Wolfetta Jeanne and Wolfetta Margo, you will each receive "an appreciation prize".....just for hanging in there, just for playing silly and sometimes, (well most of the time) time consuming guessing games and for being punctual and on time in your recipe/cookbook postings and sending/receiving of swaps.... Wonderful WOOLFETTA COMMUNICATION skills for sure...very much appreciated...........RRROOOAAARRRRRRRR!

I will let you Wolfies know when prizes go out. I will not doubt get to that until November.

Thanks much Wolfetta's.....over and out!!

Woolfetta Annie

• ruthz
    2 years ago

Forgot to say, Margo it's awesome that you have a tree and sent Annie some Hickory nuts. Do you know the variety? I remember eating two different kinds in Georgia. A small lighter color one with a thinner shell that tasted better than the larger one.

Thank you Wolfetta Annie for a fun and entertaining month. Playing the games is prizes for me.

2 years ago

Thank you so much Wolfetta Annie for providing such great entertainment. I had a great time playing the games and posting and viewing all the great recipes.

Take care everyone.

• pinkiris
    2 years ago

Wolfetta Annie ... loved your Wolfetta FUN this month ... you had me howling with laughter over here ... Happy Halloween Wolfettas!

• smitties
    2 years ago

Wolfetta Annoe, as always, a great hostess job! Thank you for all your time and energy.

Ruth, thank you for guessing the band. I was going crazy. LOL

The hickory nuts are from our shagbark hickory trees which we had no clue about them til last year. My hubby has been collecting the nuts and putting them in the freezer for a future dessert to be determined. Did you know the shells can be used in a smoker for a hickory smoke flavor?

Thanks again Annie!

• sandlapper_rose
    2 years ago

Annie, thanks for being hostess. It was a fun month and I know it takes lots of time to keep planning the games and all. I must confess i don't do much cooking these days and what I tend to make is very simple, but I think once the time changes and the temperatures get cooler, I will get back into it.

• ruthz
    2 years ago

Margo, I believe shagbark are supposed to be the best kind. I think that's what I ate when I was young. Hickory nut cake is rich and awesome. I did not know about using the shells in the smoker. We gave our smoker away but we don't have hickory nuts anyway. I believe they do grow in East Texas but I don't know if anyone sells them.

2 years ago

Happy Halloween Wolfettas! I have already started practicing with some of the recipes. I made a variation of Jeanne’s 3 layer cake, just one layer, in a 9 x 13 pan. It looks and smells great. Family coming over early this afternoon so they will be my taste testers. Have a Happy Halloween 🎃 everyone!

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Woolfetta Margo and Woolfetta Ruth....oh darn, I dumped the hickory nuts shells. I could have used them in my smoker. I really enjoyed these nuts!!!!!!! I am gathering there are several different Hickory varieties...Curious, if you buy these in the store or maybe at a Summer road stand, what do they charge per lb??

Woolfetta Susan...Enjoy the cake....Enjoy your family today!!

Happy Halloween Wolfetta's....

• smitties
    2 years ago

Wolfetta Annie, we had never heard of hickory nuts til we moved here and realised we had shagbark hickory trees. There are other types too. I am not even sure of where you can buy the nuts or if you even can. They would be quite expensive shelled since they are so hard to unshell them.

Wolfetts Susan, that looks delicious.

Our Halloween was low key. Not enough houses here for trick or treaters but I still enjoy decorating.

• ruthz
    2 years ago

Wolfetta Annie, when I was growing up in the N. Georgia mountains Hickory trees were everywhere. In the fall you could walk thru the woods and gather as many nuts as you wanted. I'm pretty sure I ate a ton. Now it's much more populated and I doubt they are as easy to find. I've never seen them for sale. Hickory nuts and black walnuts are much harder to shell and were not as popular as pecans.

We had about 16 trick or treaters. I thought we would have more.

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Woolfetta Ruth and Wolfetta Margo, interesting about the the Hickory nuts. So there is no such thing as a HICKORY NUT FARM??? Heck, I thought there was farm for everything...LOL Thanks for the info. Well, I sure enjoyed my nuts!! TY!!

No trick or treaters here....no surprise!!

Happy November FOTESSERS!

Woolfetta

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    2 years ago

OK Wolfetta's Ruth, Jayeanne, Jeanne, Margo and Susan, your "APPRECIATION" prizes for playing during the month of OCTOBER will be en route soon. No big shakes here....small little prizes. I needed them, so you are getting them too. I ordered from Amazon and delivery will be direct to your home.

Woolfetta Susan.....delivery est date Tues., 11-9

Woolfetta Ruth.......delivery est date Tues., 11-9

Woolfetta Margo......delivery est date Tues., 11-9

Woolfetta Jeanne.....delivery est date Wed., 11-10

Woolfetta Jayeanne......delivery est date Sat., 11-13

Woolfetta Ruth and Woolfetta Jayeanne, RE: your game winning prizes (Ruth x 2....cookbook and whatever game and Jayeanne x 1.....cookbook).....well my prize plan did not work out so I have to refocus. I will get to it this week sometime and keep you posted. Soon....Soon....Soon!!

Happy weekend!!

Woolfetta Annie

• smitties
    2 years ago

Thanks Wolfetta Annie will let you know when it arrives. Thanks again for the great month.

2 years ago

Thank you so much Annie. I will keep an eye out for it and let you know when I receive the prize package.

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wolfetta Susan and Wolfetta Margo, I have received Amazon notification that you will probably receive your little something tomorrow......a day early.

Happy Eve!

Wolfetta Annie

2 years ago

Thank you Annie. I will keep an eye out for it.

• smitties
    2 years ago

Wolfetta, i did receive my prize today and thank you so much. I was very much needing these so great thinking!

Great swap too and thanks again. Margo

2 years ago

Wolfetta Annie. I also received my very wonderfully thoughtful prize, and it is something I really needed too. Thank you so much! Great prize indeed!

Thank you again for hosting such a fun month of October. I had a great time with everything, especially guessing the musical groups. I just about lost my mind looking them up and ALL of them seemed to be in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame lol.

• ruthz
    2 years ago

Annie, ditto to everything Susan said above. The games are always fun and the prize will certainly come in handy. Thank you so much.

• sandlapper_rose
    2 years ago

Annie, what a perfect prize and it came in yesterday's mail. Love how you addressed the package! Thanks so much.

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wolfetta Ruth and Wolfetta Jayeanne, your game prizes will be on the way SOON.

Wolfetta Ruth....2 prizes....will be delivered to you direct from KOHLS.....they may not ship together.....will let you know when I know. Delivery should be between the 16th and the 20th.

Wolfetta Jayeanne....1 prize.....will be delivered to you direct from KOHLS. Delivery should be between the 16th and the 20th.

I will update you when I hear that they have shipped.

Happy Evening!

Wolfetta Annie

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wolfetta Ruth, your 2 prizes have shipped.....looks like they will be delivered in one package. It is not stating a est del date yet.

• pinkiris
    2 years ago

Wolfetta Annie ... THANK YOU for the wonderful surprise just came in today's mail.

You must have read my mind, how' d you know I needed these, lol. Many thanks for everything and for hosting such a FUN month!

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wolfetta Ruth.....delivery of your 2 game prizes from KOHLS......looks like Tuesday.

Wolfetta Jayeanne.....your game prize from KOHLS has not shipped yet....will keep you posted.

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wolfetta Jayeanne, just received an email notice that your game prize from KOHLS has shipped.....they are saying delivery is Thursday, November 18.

Happy weekend! Wolfetta's!!

• ruthz
    2 years ago

Wow, Wolfetta Annie, got home from an errand and found a big package on the porch. I won't post pictures in case someone else is getting the same thing, but they are beautiful and awesome. And unexpected. Hubby really likes them too. Thank you so much.

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wolfetta Ruth....always good when hubby likes them...LOL!

• pinkiris
    2 years ago

Wolfetta Annie.... WOW. just opened up the game prize package, I absolutely love it, its going to find a forever home in my dining room. Love this! Very much appreciated, many many thanks.

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wolfetta Jayeanne.....glad you liked!

Happy week to all!