SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
lunarocket34

October 2021 Building a House

It's October, how is your build going?

Comments (251)

• Kat
    2 days ago

So our front door was delivered. They’ve been holding it at the Professional Builder’s Supply for quite some time, but we weren’t ready to close up the house.

It’s missing the raised applied beauty moulding on the bottom panel and around glass.

I’ve emailed our builder. Lots of time still to get it sorted or remade. It actually came in prettt quickly so hopefully it won’t be an issue.

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked Kat
  • Emily
    2 days ago

Your front door is lovely, @Kat!

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked Emily
  • Related Discussions

October 2018 - New Home Build Thread

Q

Comments (247)
    Exterior paint. Its pretty blue but I think it looks good. The two houses that are closest (and finished) are dark gray and dark blue/gray. We like it a lot. These are from Monday but I guess it was painted on Sunday. The interior paint guys said it was done when the showed up in the morning. They are finishing up the inside paint but are taking their time. They did the basement Monday and part of the 2nd floor yesterday. I'm guessing it'll take them at least until tomorrow to finish upstairs and the main floor but thats just a guess. The builder did say grading and exterior stone would start before the weekend. I hope that happens.
    ...See More

2021 Building a home in Kentucky

Q

Comments (3)
    Buy a modular or go to a poll barn custom design if this is only temporary even a cabin kit.
    ...See More

January 2021 Building a Home

Q

Comments (385)
    We are so close to finish if they just get to it. They would need less than a week, again if they get to it. I told them if they get it done, I will pay on the spot. They will be paid sooner that way than going through a collection agency. Guessing they were bluffing. I can't imagine they are that stupid. Or they made some costly mistakes that they can't fix that I don't know about. I don't know what the contract says in details. I think it is pretty standard. I am guessing the contract can't address the gray area, like what is considered "consulting" and whether you can charge your client when you weren't clocking. In some ways, I am not worried. They made many costly mistakes so far and I picked up the bills not to hold back progress arguing. They are well documented. I will push to get them reimbursed if they push. That will be expensive for them. @Keepthefaith MIGirl I am practically doing the GM job myself. The contractor isn't communicating properly to the subs. I told him what they need to bring to finish the job. The GM didn't pass it on and the sub shows up without the parts. It is hard enough to get him out once. The finishing carpenters were here and they were twidling their thumb for hours because the supply isn't here. This happens again and again. The painter said they had to come back 5 times because the site wasn't ready for them. Now that I am here, I get to talk to subs. They are all nice, fun to talk to. I don't mind taking it over rather than trying to talk through someone who loses half of what I said on the way to subs. And they want to get paid for consulting! In my mind, they don't have a case.
    ...See More

April Building A House 2021

Q

Comments (455)
    Our delays are frustrating because we made selections months ago but the builder never ordered them. We are contracted on a spec house so we cannot order them ourselves. My daughter was not the one kicked by the horse. She had torn labrum/hip impingement surgery so I know exactly what you are experiencing. Best of luck to your daughter. She is lucky to have you!
    ...See More
  • doc5md
    2 days ago

@Kat beautiful!!!

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked doc5md
  • Karen
    2 days ago

@BuzzSolo- I too prefer the top floor with your cabinets, but may try to swap too a simpler Cambria.
    May be my phone screen, but seems a bit busy. Love the floor though.

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked Karen
  • di0spyr0s
    2 days ago

Doc5md - that room will be gorgeous and such lovely views!

• Buzz Solo in northeast MI
    Original Author
    2 days ago

@Karen I like busy. I love the Formica I had chosen, the River Gold which would also probably look better with the top flooring. Oddly, what everyone says about the bottom flooring who sees it in person is that it's picking up the green of the cabinet. It's hard to see in the photo I guess. I still have time to decide, still don't have heat to be able to install anything anyway Tomorrow DH is heading to Alpena, (our biggest city in the area) to try and get someone to commit to something about our heating system! It's dropping into the 30s at night this week, it's getting kind of critical!

• K H
    2 days ago

@Buzz Solo in northeast MI yes the heating is the most important. I have Berwyn in my kitchen I share some pics of our island.

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked K H
  • K H
    2 days ago

There is sparkle in it and I love that!

How busy it is does vary. But I love it because it hides everything!

Here is a piece by my stove

• Kat
    2 days ago

@doc5md that's an incredible view. Is there a deck up there anywhere? Is the viewing room kind of like a general hang out/media/family room?

@K H I love your counters. Very pretty!

• Sofia
    2 days ago

@Kat — gorgeous front door! I hope we get to see it installed.

@Buzz — I think I’m in the minority here, but I like the bottom flooring best. Nice contrast with the cabinets and the darker color just “ grounds” it well.

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked Sofia
  • Kat
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

We also looked at some painted siding samples on different sides of the house. It was funny because a neighbor stopped to talk to us and as he was leaving he said “ wait so those are different colors?” 😂

Video wont' work, but here's the photos

First two are Alabaster, White Dove,

Then Creamy, Chantilly Lace, Cloud White

and last one is Dover White.

I moved them into the shade and different areas but I honestly don’t know.

The creamy matches our brick mortar closest, but it’s the one that definitely will never look white white. I always imagined a White House but now I just don’t know.

• chispa
    2 days ago

@Kat, is the white going to be for your main siding color?

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked chispa
  • Karen
    2 days ago

@Buzz Solo and @KH, I take that back about the Cambria counter. In the larger slab it is beautiful. I swear, I have no imagination as no guts either! I can’t look at a sample and envision a larger area in my head!

@Kat, you are just a day ahead of me. I have 6 qts of paint that need to go on the exterior too. I suspect that all of those would look good. I wonder if Chantilly Lace is a bit too light for the grout? (I think I need to back and take art classes or study the color wheel ! )

The drywall guys worked all weekend at our place and should start the smooth ceilings tomorrow.

• doc5md
    2 days ago

@Kat no deck. Its really an away space. A place to get away from the kids, take in the views, read a book with a glass of wine, etc. There is no media in it, just a linear fireplace and windows.

• Kat
    2 days ago

@chispa yes, the main color.

• nhb22
    2 days ago

Buzz Solo in northeast MI - I can see the green in the bottom flooring. Go with your gut!!! After seeing KH's counter tops, she has brown with hers and it looks fine, but I now think it would look better with the gray flooring in your home. There is even a bit of the flooring color in your stained cabinet. I just like the pine flooring better, personally.

Kat - I find that the Chantilly Lace matches your mortar better, and my 2nd pick is the Cloud White. I think Creamy and Dover will look too yellow. What is the color name of your mortar?

• K H
    2 days ago

@Kat I love the Creamy(muted vintage feel). But I also love the Dover White(crisp) I think the chantilly is too white from what I see on my screen. Ive seen Dover white, Alabaster and White Dove all on exteriors in person and they all looked beautiful!

What will your trim color be? You have the gorgeous victorian right?

@doc5md forgot to post about your photos above! You have such beautiful views and you have been at this for a while now. Are you hanging in there? Did you have your bluestone installed yet? I was wondering how that turned out. I cant wait to see your trim and paint colors go in.

@nhb22 did your kitchen backsplash go in yet? I was hoping to see how it turned out.

@Emily your siding looks gorgeous! I love the dark blue. Your back covered porch is going to be so nice!

@Buzz Solo in northeast MI our cambria came in around 6k all together. I will look up our sq footage. But we do have deeper counters next to the sink and the island is 8x4 I believe. This was precovid pricing though. Not sure how much it has increased but might give you a ballpark...

• chispa
    2 days ago

@Kat, which one is the Alabaster? Is that SW or BM Alabaster?

I don't think I would use Chantilly Lace outside, it is going to read bright bright white. Color looks lighter outside.

• Kat
    2 days ago

@K H thank you. Before we started, like last October haha, I was set on Alabaster. I think it will go nice with the brick as well, but then I saw Lovehousetn and they used Creamy with Dover White for the trim and I love thier house. But if you examine their photos you can definitely see the hint of beige color in most of them, and especially the ones with snow on the ground, although overall it looks white.

I realy do like it, but I worry when it's on the entire house, I'll regret that I didn't stick to one that looks a bit more white, just because it was my original vision for it. I agree the Chantilly is a bit too stark white, especially with our brick.

Our windows are the Ocean View impact by viwinco which are vinyl and I've wanted to find a white that is the same for the trim but it's such a bright white, they all seem different when you put them up next to it, so I don't know if I should just do the trim the same color as house but in semi-gloss.

I joke to dh I want to just have one of those pink victorians, but for some reason he's just not on board...haha

@chispa the first one in the first photo is Alabaster and it's Sherwin Williams. I've heard the BM one can read more pink.

• K H
    2 days ago

@Buzz Solo in northeast MI I have about 60 sq ft of counter top

• K H
    2 days ago

@Kat

My daughter wants a victorian dollhouse that you build for Christmas. This is one of her color choices :) I believe it is a blue gray trim.

And this is her other choice!

We have BM White Dove on our interior walls and all the ”white” curtains are more white then the walls and trim; so you might not be happy with that. The cloud white is a brighter white that also looks good. Maybe go with that one! The long piece does look nice!

• doc5md
    2 days ago

@K H :) Thanks for asking about us. We are hanging in there, but decision fatigue is real. Lighting has been the worst, but we haven't discussed wall colors yet. Additionally, we have the stair case that we still have some decisions on and it needs fabricated. The bluestone is installed and looks great- I'll have to snap a picture of it.

Just so you all know, I stink at picking colors and such. DW does the bulk of that for us which is good- she will present me with some A/B choices, but that's about it. So, that's why I don't comment on color selections that you've all been asking each other about. :) lol its for the better!

• lyfia
    yesterday

@Buzz Solo in northeast MI - I personally prefer the top floor. It grounds everything and lets the other items be noticed. It does have a little bit of gray in it in some spots to tie in the counter as well. I'm not a huge fan of the bottom floor though as it is too trendy for me and seems to take over all the other items and want to be the star. I prefer my floor to be sort of the back drop for other items to stand out more and be a bit more neutral so I have more choices in furniture, rugs, cabinets, and paint colors.

@Karen - Buzz mentioned the floor in a post higher up and I just went and looked at other colors in that line.

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked lyfia
  • lisainkc
    yesterday

@doc5md I agree. I'm the worst with paint and things like that. No one on this discussion chain wants my input on anything. I'm stressing because I bought a dining room light and my DH added a wood inset above the dining room table. Now I'm afraid the light won't look good.

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked lisainkc
  • doc5md
    yesterday

@lisainkc Lighting is so hard to pick out! I totally get it... I can just wish you luck :)

• Karen
    yesterday

@lisainkc Lighting decisions are no fun! You can always do what i did in 2004. We bought very inexpensive lighting fixtures at Lowe's knowing that we would probably replace them all later. Well, we still have all the same lighting fixtures and it doesn't bother me a bit (ok, maybe once in a while I'll think, hmmm, maybe I should replace that xxxx). So, if you can't figure it out and feel good about it, just get something cheap and you won't feel bad if later when you have time and mental capacity to choose something you really like.

• Emily
    yesterday

@K H, I bought my mother, who is super crafty, one of those Victorian dollhouse kits a few decades ago! She had a blast with it, and it still sits in her formal living room on a pedestal!

Good news from the house site today: Shingles were delivered and roofers showed up! Also, additional stone was delivered for the front and back porches, in preparation for doing the slabs. Apparently there is a concrete shortage around here, but our builder is still hoping for all three slabs to be poured this week (porches plus garage). 🤞🤞🤞

Original Author
    yesterday

K H Thanks, so your Cambria was roughly $100 a sq ft. I don't have the quote yet from my KD but I was in Home Depot today getting 2 paint samples (which I put on the wall tonight and so far, not loving them, will check in the morning after they're dry) and looked at their equivalent Cambria and it's $124, So it's gone up in price unless my KD gets some kind of a break that a big box store can't get. Looks like I've got a bit over 80 sq ft. so it's over $10,000 and the Formica was only $3900. The Corian, which I do like, though it's not as sparkly (and I love the sparklies!) would be somewhere in-between.

I dragged my SIL along and just in case, because I really do love the Cambria, I found a flooring option similar to the others I showed up top that is $2 a foot cheaper, mainly because it's only 12 mil vs 20 mil wear layer. But if it's only a 25 year warranty, heck I'm 62 years old. It will last long enough for me! This will give me about 2400 more to put towards Cambria, and I can hold off on a new sofa for a few more months, too..... ;-)

• chispa
    yesterday

The fabricator and his template guy came over today to measure for all counters. I have 2 Cambria colors picked out for bathroom vanities, laundry counter and mudroom counter. He tried to talk me out of the Cambria, saying that another company had similar colors. I looked at and borrowed/bought samples from all different companies and picked the best colors to go with the tiles I used, so he wasn't going to convince me to change because he doesn't love Cambria's business style! Nope, don't want a similar color, just the exact one I put a lot of time/work into to pick out!

Hardwood sub also delivered part of the floor order while I was at the house. His guys are supposed to start prepping the slab tomorrow. Not looking forward to having to worry about other subs doing work over the newly installed engineered wood floors!

• nhb22
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

K H - Not yet. Now it looks like the floor guy is going to do the kitchen tiling at the tune of $1600 labor!!! It's either him, or my builders handyman, who would be less.

@Buzz Solo in northeast MI - Sorry about your HVAC.

Back from the house. Most of the coffered ceiling is done. Some trim finished up, but we are still waiting on some flexible trim for the arches. Stair threads are down. The fence is done, but we have several places that the dog could crawl under. Have to make a call to the fence guy tomorrow.

Pavers go where the gravel is in front of the utility door. We went to Lowe's to get them and they were all sold out. No telling when they will be back in stock. I'll have to check out Home Depot.

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked nhb22
  • Karen
    yesterday

@Buzz Solo in northeast MI I read your comment about the 25 year floor warranty and laughed so hard that if I had just taken a drink it would be on the wall across the room! I had the exact same conversation with myself this week; I'm 62 as well! When I think of it, I have never tried to get a company to honor a warranty other than for a coffee pot or some other kitchen appliance. I agree, get the counters you want, you will be squeal with excitement each time you wipe them clean!

• K H
    yesterday

@nhb22 Everything looks so lovely! Your kitchen is so sweet, gives me a quaint cottage feel :)

• K H
    yesterday

@Buzz Solo in northeast MI I think we did get a discount on the cambria because we bought our tile flooring, carpet and all the interior paint from them. I had it priced at one other store and it was 1500 higher. So maybe your kd will give you a discount too since you are getting all of your cabinets there.

• Pat DeVere
    yesterday

Dare I say we have started! This was a week or so ago, footings being poured today! Life is an adventure and this has certainly been an adventure!

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked Pat DeVere
  • Amy10N
    yesterday

Hello, so nice to read through comments, so much going on…and what day is it, goodness gracious, already the 19th.

@Buzz Solo in northeast MI guess I might not be of much help, I like both flooring choices, they just give you different looks, but your kitchen will be beautiful.

@nhb22 Your kitchen is so pretty, love the windows.

@Emily we also had shingles put on, but waiting on windows and electrician! I just cannot wrap my head around the process. Glad you are seeing some progress, though.

@Kat The Creamy has a yellow tone, but I do love that color….for more white, perhaps Cloudy White, the other seems to have a cooler undertone. Gorgeous doors, by the way.

@doc5md OMG, those views and good for you, planning a space for relaxation and wine!

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked Amy10N
  • nhb22
    22 hours ago
    last modified: 22 hours ago

Pat DeVere - Where are you building? Those mountains are gorgeous!

Amy10N - Thank you!

K H - Glad that you think my kitchen looks quaint and cottagey. That's the look I was going for, but didn't think it looked that way. It's actually a pretty large kitchen! 18 x 15. Appliances are due to be installed on Friday. Then the finishing touches like trim and finishing up the range hood. I will post photos when all is said and done.

Can y'all stand another color question? I have mentioned earlier that I was putting SW Antique White in my foyer, up the stairs, upper hallway, and into one of the guest bedrooms. Now I am seriously considering using SW Antique White for the family room, as well. I just could not commit to the more gray colors when my furnishings have more yellow tints. SW Antigue White seems to go well enough with the countertops. Although the paint will not directly be near the counters because of the wall tile (except next to the left side base cabinet from the range) I posted some photos with a Samplize sample next to countertops.

Here it is over my fireplace. The main color currently on the wall is SW Neutral Ground which turned out too blah. The color painted to the left is SW Maison Blanche which still had too much gray. And then the Samplize sample of Antique White. What do y'all think?

Here are some inspiration photos using white cabinets and trim with the SW Antique White.

My counter tops are similar to these.

If the painter wouldn't charge extra, I would like to change my ceilings to a very pale blue. Any suggestions? I thought about using the M. bedroom color (SW Niebla Azul) and cut the formula in half with white.

• Emily
    22 hours ago

@Pat DeVere, Absolutely stunning! I am envious of those water and mountain views!

@Amy10N, I am excited about shingles because our roof has been one of the delays on our project. All the interior rough-ins are done and inspected, insulation is coming soon, windows and exterior doors are in, and siding is pretty much complete. But the roof was a sticking point because we couldn't get our first couple of shingle choices due to the supply chain issues. And this after we had to nix our original idea of a metal roof due to huge price increases since last summer, when we initially signed our contract to build. So, it's exciting to finally be getting our roof, and then we'll officially be dried in. Since we broke ground nearly a year ago, this has been a frustratingly slow process, but things are finally picking up now.

@Kat, I still think we're about at the same stage, because you have foundation brick, even though your siding is not complete. We still have raw concrete blocks on the foundation, though I understand that the stone is on order. I can't really offer an opinion on your siding colors, as they look too similar on my monitor. If you are keeping your windows white-white, though, I'd probably go with the whitest of the whites you have to choose from.

@nhb22, Your kitchen is stunning! I absolutely love it, most especially the huge row of windows. I think the Antique White looks great in all your photos. Go for it, especially since it works better with your furniture. In our last house, I painted our dining room and foyer ceilings a very pale ice blue, and it looked great. The dining room had pale yellow walls, and the foyer more of a gold wall. Those colors play nice together.

• K H
    19 hours ago

Love the antique white!

• Kat
    19 hours ago

@K H I love the victorian photo of the white with gray trim. I think it would look slightly different in person, than a painted type photo does, but I'm sure it would still be beautiful.

@nhb22 your home is looking so good. You must be getting excited as you are clearly nearing the home stretch, but ouch on the tile labor cost. I think the Antique White looks really pretty.

@Pat DeVere those views are breathtaking. Good luck with everything.

@Emily so exciting about the roof. I look forward to pics. Which one did you go with in the end?

Horrible news on our tile quote yesterday. Waiting to hear back from our builder. We made a tile change based on prices given last November, and had budgeted for a substantial extra allowance but still ended up miles away from even that.

• nhb22
    18 hours ago

I feel sure the handyman's labor cost would be less, but he is the one that put the hardwood landing down on our stairs, so... 🤔🙄😏

• Emily
    17 hours ago

@Kat, I am so sorry about your tile quote! We are about $2K over on our original tile quote, but our builder found a much better tile man, as he was not happy with some of the tile work done on his previous build. This guy comes super highly recommended. Tile prices have gone up too.

On the roof, we ended up choosing the Certainteed Pro line in Georgetown Gray. And our builder texted us a photo this afternoon -- it is done! The house looks black in this photo, since it was taken in the afternoon sun (and house faces east), but you can see the roof. We are very happy with it, after all. WHEW! We had to make it without actually seeing the product in the flesh, only online. That was a scary choice! Of course, we still haven't seen it in the flesh, but I think it's going to look good. We'll see it later this week.

Original Author
    12 hours ago

@nhb22 Yeah, sorry, but my color sense isn't working too well, I am sure whatever you pick will look nice. I'm still trying to pick my great room wall color, yesterday I had 2 colors on the wall, (the 2 on the right which I though were too boring). Tonight I have 4 and I forgot a 5th so will have to go back and get another sample. But now the 2 on the right look better to me! For the other much smaller rooms I'm just winging it, bought the darker blue for my bedroom walls today. I am in love with the ceiling color I got for it, a very, very pale blue. Hard to get a photo especially at night with just my cell phone flash. (All the paints are Behr).

The ceiling below is Behr Permafrost.

And a couple photos of a sunset tonight and the house this morning from across the still filling pond.

Congratulations on getting started, @Pat DeVere!

• di0spyr0s
    10 hours ago

@Buzz Solo in northeast MI I'm so excited to see your pond filled up! I wish ours were filling as fast!

In not so fun news, Our ICF guy has been working on putting up the first floor walls. the moment he put in the kitchen windows we realized we had a problem. Several months ago we redesigned the kitchen and added base cabinets along the south wall of the kitchen. The architect updated the drawings but apparently never updated the window size. The window in question is 6'11"x6'11" and the bottom edge will be about a foot lower than the counter top. The windows were built to order and are being loaded on a boat this week, so there's no updating the size of them now. We can't raise the window higher off the ground or it will be in the ceiling.

Mildly peeved at the architect right now. I feel simultaneously as though I should have caught this error, and that it shouldn't be my job to have to catch these things. Surely this is part of what we pay our architect for?

Oh well. These things will happen I suppose. We think we're just going to make the counter deeper in that area, so it will meet the glass of the window and cover what would otherwise be a pit behind the cabinet.

Buzz Solo in northeast MI thanked di0spyr0s
  • nhb22
    10 hours ago
    last modified: 10 hours ago

Emily - Good choice on the roof color. Looks great!

Buzz - Cool that you have a pond reflection of your home.

I learned that I can not really pick out wall color without some of the other room elements. I feel that you need to make a decision on your floor color, first. On my monitor, three of your colors are leaning beige, while the other two lean more into the gray family. Love the blue ceiling!!!

• nhb22
    9 hours ago

"Mildly peeved at the architect right now. I feel simultaneously as though I should have caught this error, and that it shouldn't be my job to have to catch these things. Surely this is part of what we pay our architect for?"

I would be, also. Many people on these forums tout getting an architect, but I think they make just as many mistakes. Only human, I guess.

You know that we had trouble with our roof pitch being written wrong on our plans. Ended up with a steeper roof than our house needed. However, we did end up with more 2nd floor space.

On checking window sizes...I checked all of mine. While the window sizes on the plans were correct, with the roof change came changes for the windows. Our window rep sat down with me and we went over each one. Then, we checked and doubled checked before ordering.

• di0spyr0s
    8 hours ago

Some photos from this evening :) the sunsets out here are fantastic

• Kat
    3 hours ago

@nhb22 were you wanting to paint all your ceilings blue? I had wanted to do a little back hallway with wood and a blue ceiling, but then they went and stuck an air return in it and I figured I didn't want to draw more attention to it by painting it a different color.. Was definitely one of those little things that was a diappointment.

@Emily Your roof looks so good. Great end choice to go with your dark blue siding.

@di0spyr0s your views are stunning. Will the cabinet show from the outside with the window being lower? How will that look? Just a random thought with no clue on your layout, but any chance of doing a window seat below the window and cabinets on each side?

@Buzz Solo in northeast MI your house reflecting in the pond is so pretty.

• di0spyr0s
    2 hours ago

@Kat - yes, you'd be able to see the counter through the window. I think we might black out the bit behind the cabinet and stuff it with insulation. We'll likely have a bunch of shrubbery outside the window so I doubt we'll notice it much. I've added a picture of our current kitchen plan as well as a (slightly out of date) floor plan and the exterior. I'm pretty happy with the kitchen as planned, just bummed we paid for window area we won't be using, and that we've punched a bigger hole in our insanely well insulated walls than we needed to.

• nhb22
    59 minutes ago

@di0spyr0s - Wow - What photography...so pretty!

Kat - No, we would paint only the squares in the coffered ceiling in the family room/kitchen.

I am giving my painter final colors...again...today. 😀 Going with SW Antique White on the family room/kitchen walls.

• Kat
    35 minutes ago

@di0spyr0s lovely home. As you said, I'm sure it won't matter in the end once you landscape etc., but I understand your frustration when these things aren't caught by the eyes you have paid to catch them.

We had one window come in smaller than it was suppossed to be, but I just let it go, because it wasn't worth the hassle of sendng it back and it's only in a hallway.