SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msyyid

Best plan to replace Silver Maples

tired
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I'm based in the Washington DC Area (Zone 7a). I have two silver maples that I want to replace. They're great for shade, about 30 feet high and 25-30 feet wide but are constantly breaking with falling branches which is a hazard. They're also extremely messy in the spring (lots of seeds).

I'm thinking of adding a Ginkgo tree (male / Autumn Gold ) and a Sugar maple (Fall Fiesta) instead. Not set in stone on those specific trees but those seem to be pretty, provide shade and aren't messy.

I'd like to retain some shade while the young trees grow. The trees provide afternoon to evening shade (South-West). What would be the best way to do the replacement. I was thinking of cutting one tree down now and a few years later after the new trees have taken off, cut the second silver maple down.

I can cut down the interior facing silver maple and have the two new trees in shade from the exterior tree or alternatively cut the exterior facing tree so one of the new trees gets full sun while the other gets shade. If the latter which would be better to be in shade for the first few years.

Thank you!

Edit: Attached image of the house / trees

Comments (19)