SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrl66

Mounting a soapstone sink

gardengrl66 z5
2 years ago

Hello everyone. So, we are doing a gut kitchen remodel, about which I may be posting several threads. This is my first one though (so be kind!) We're putting in soapstone countertops with an apron-front soapstone sink. I have both in my current kitchen and love them. There have been several threads on this site about sink mounting, but the ones I have found are either pretty old, or don't answer my specific question about how best to mount the sink.

I have seen the "sink mount kit" mentioned here several times. Sink Mount Kit I've looked at the video, which aside from the single-proprietor vibe seems like a terrific system. My question is, why has no one that I am working with heard of it?

My soapstone guy uses the 2x4 method, shown here. He is not excited about the sink mount kit, thinks the screws will eventually pull out of the cabinet side.

But I agree with many that this is not only space-intensive (in terms of how much cabinet you can put below the sink) but also difficult to adjust, should things settle or (God forbid but we live in a cold climate) there is a water leak.

My cabinet guy is recommending "angle irons" which I imagine are L-shaped pieces of metal that will go into the sides of the cabinet. Which is more economical space-wise than a 2x4...he is confident the screws will hold and says if I am really worried he can put bolts all the way through the cabinet sides. His boxes are 3/4" particle board, which he points out is actually 1.5" of potential material to hook into, if there are cabinets on each side of the sink base.

My GC has never installed a soapstone sink (small town, he seems like a generally competent and clear-thinking person but hasn't seen this one) nor heard of the sink mount kit. All three of these folks have been doing their jobs for a long time, and certainly seem to know their business!

Again, nobody has heard of this adjustable, metal mounting kit. My question is why? Is there a catch, something I'm not seeing? I would really like to use it because it will allow (I think) for the under-sink pullouts that I want to have for trash and cleaning supplies: (I copied this from a prior thread and apologize I've lost the author's name) This picture is not an apron front but I've done the math and have 10 inches to play with for the sink.

Thoughts? I really appreciate and value folks on this site but am a little intimidated to even ask, worried that I may have missed a thread which addressed this already!

Comments (6)