SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethnatlga

Dilemma related to kitchen layout relative to where fireplace is

Beth deSousa
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Our original home design, as purchased from the draftsman's plan, shows a clear line of sight from the range to the fireplace. They are lined up perfectly. Some may say the design of the house may call for this. Prior to our final kitchen design we changed several things. We changed the cooktop to 36" inches and added a double oven. You can see this in the cabinet company's sketches. As far as cabinet design, we added two 9" pullouts (one on each side of the stove top, for spices and for cookie sheets). With adding the fridge on the left and including to the two 9" cabs, we have pushed the stove top quite a distance (maybe a foot) to the right. It will be noticeably not be lined up with the fireplace and my husband thinks this will look wrong/odd. I am looking at pictures of kitchens on Houzz and see stove tops that aren't centered in the kitchen, but I haven't not seen how that relates to a fireplace on the other side of the room. My husband is going to go to the cabinet company to redesign the back wall and he thinks we have no choice but to loose the two 9" pullouts so we can push the stove back to the left. It will still be about 6" to the right. My hope is someone will tell me that we should keep it as is and not worry about lining things up.

Notes: We are committed to the placement of current appliances like DW, Back Sink, fridge and Double Oven. Island prep sink has just been rough plumbed and foundation will be poured this week. None of those items can be changed and it is laid out the way we planned. It is just the stove top placement that concerns my husband. For those that will ask, the microwave will be on a shelf on the left side of the pantry, which is where we wanted it. Since the dimensions will probably be blurry on the floorplan, the island is 9 ft long. The doorway to the left of the fridge enters to the side of the house where the master bedroom is.

Comments (25)