SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandra2911

Need advice on new color scheme

Sandra
2 years ago

Hello,

I need advice on a new color scheme for my new front door and the shutters on my house. I like this gray that I picked out for the shutters but I'm having a hard time finding a good color for the front door. I'm going for a more modern/contemporary effect for the house, not so traditional. The gray is called "Serious Gray" from Sherwin Williams. The shutters are kind of a burgundy now.

Thanks!

Sandra

Comments (52)

• chloebud
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I might go darker for the shutters. Agree with a bright color you like for the door. Lots of options in your case. If you like yellow, it would be another option that works well with gray siding..

• calidesign
    2 years ago

Deep blue, periwinkle, burgundy, eggplant, marigold, and emerald green would all work with the gray. What colors do you like and what colors do you have inside? You might choose a brighter or deeper version of a color you have indoors so when the door is open it coordinates with your entryway rug.

2014 Parade Home - Lehi · More Info

• Related Discussions

Need Advice on Furniture and color scheme for my Loft

Q

Comments (16)
    You are on the right track, I love what you have done so far! I have almost the identical sofa, it’s a contemporary classic! I think bar height is good in this space but do think people should face each other when dining. I would do a rectangular bar height glass table with funky chairs, not too big of cours, quite narrow, custom made, iron legs. TV should be across from the sofa, enclosed if you can, I don’t like to see tv’s, I like them behind doors, in cabinets. they tend to take over rooms, but not everyone agrees with this.. When we entertain these days, sit down dinners are either crazy big family dinners and we serve Buffett or friends where people eat on their laps or standing at the bar etc. So I agree there is no need for a traditional seating area if it doesn’t suit your lifestyle, and I don’t think it suits the space.
    ...See More

Exterior color scheme advice needed

Q

Comments (9)
    Thank you so much for the suggestions. I do like the idea of going with a softer trim color such as Linen. Would the house benefit most from a light trim or a dark trim? Any thoughts on using SW Urbane Bronze for trim and/or front door.
    ...See More

Need advice on furniture/color scheme for furniture

Q

Comments (1)
    This photo isn’t quite your mix, but the example for you to go a bit darker with upholstery to balance the fireplace stone/brick/tv.
    ...See More

need advice on rug in this monochromatic color scheme

Q

Comments (12)
    Beautiful room, nice calm feel. My DIL recently bought this pretty jute rug in the color "natural" Venice Jute Rectangular Rug
    ...See More
  • nester44
    2 years ago

If you want a more modern, contemporary effect, and not so traditional, I suggest removing the shutters. And when you settle on a paint color, I would paint the vents at the top of the gables the same color as the body of the house so they do not stand out. If you remove the large round shrub at the left side of the entryway, your porch area and front door will not look so hidden. Perhaps some new, larger, less traditional-looking lights above the front door and next to the garage door. Lots of possibilities for colors, landscaping, etc.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

here are a bunch of other blue grays. get some samples and try them in person

wrought iron on the shutters and Adagio on the door might look nice. you need some contrast.

what about the garage door?

consider upgrading your lighting. the white ones you have now add nothing.

Sandra thanked Beth H. :
  • Sandra
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions and I have tried all of the colors you all mentioned but nothing seems to look right. I'm thinking I'm just going to go with white as it matches the trim of the house, see this picture. What do you think of just white? It actually has a tint of gray in it and it seems to work.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Prime the door white and it will be ready when you find a color you love. The lantern above it should be 1/3 the door's height. Try living without the shutters for a while to see if you don't think it looks more modern/contemporary. They're a bit colonial looking. You'll want to loosen up the landscaping too. Formally trimmed shrubs are colonial looking too.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

white for the door? no.

white on the shutters? no.

is your siding white? it's hard to tell if it's white, pale green or blue.

Do you have an actual photo of your house w/the garage door closed? all we're seeing is the photo on the app. Not helpful.

Post a larger size photo from the same angle, garage door closed, and I'll play around w/some colors for you

in any case, pick a color that gives some contrast. you have a black roof, so go w/deep charcoal on the shutters, and one of those blue grays on the door. or vice versa.

• Molly D. Zone4B
    2 years ago

No white on the door…Love to see better photo of the home/ garage and actual colors.

• Sandra
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Attached is a picture with the garage door closed. The house is a blueish/grayish house. Thank you for all of your help! I feel like the whole house just needs to be painted a pretty yellow but don't want to do that right now and not for a while.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Put bigger house numbers above the garage door and enlarge your lantern lights for a good start on the upgrade.

• chloebud
    2 years ago

It's a very cute house. A nice change would be a garage door with windows. Paint the garage door the same color as the siding to give it less focus. Still think dark shutters would work nicely. The charcoal and blue/gray combination Beth suggested would be nice.

• Sandra
    Original Author
    2 years ago

WOW!!!! Thank you so much, Beth!!! I love it!!! That is a tough decision now! I sent you a private message.

• calidesign
    2 years ago

Your house and roof color are great and work well together. You can add the yellow you like through landscaping. Golden euonymus, forsythia, and daylilies are all easy to grow.

Sandra thanked calidesign
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

you wanted some paler yellows, here they are

i looked up this door color and it said it was SW lemon Twist. when the sun hits it on the bottom is really lightens up the color.

I also really like the darker color around the jamb. it's a nice contrast against the white trim.

Icy lemonade, or Daffodil are both pretty.

these middle two are a yellow/orange shade (or a yellow w/a bit more gold to it, or a yam color)

This Sundance and Wrought Iron are pretty together. (I used wrought iron from BM on my own home). I think the iron on the shutters and sundance on the door (with the iron on the door jamb trim) would look great.

Here is wrought iron on mine. ( and the iron hardware on the garage door I mentioned to you)

check out this link and read her info.

https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/paint-colour-review-benjamin-moore-wrought-iron-cheating-heart/

these shutters are painted Wrought Iron.

some other yellow shades.

don't forget your samples!

we spoke about some craftsman elements. This one is definitely a craftsman look. (w/the Haint Blue porch ceiling!) The color here is Hale Navy.

I don't know if you could do something like this over the walkway to the front door, but I kind of like the portico w/the beadboard wood ceiling!

tried to photoshop a diff one onto your porch (with the yellow door)

it has a gabled peak, so I don't know if it would work w/your roofline. looks kind of cool though, huh?

And, You could choose to use a deeper navy color for the shutters. or, you mentioned painting the siding. I kind of like the dark blue

you mentioned painting the house yellow, but honestly, I like the way it is now w/our changes, or, redo the siding in the navy blue w/yellow accents.

Sandra thanked Beth H. :
  • Sandra
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I absolutely 100% love this look and I'm going to try to match up the colors of this for my house. Thank you so much, Beth!

• Sandra
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hey Beth, is there anyway you can tell me what color the front door is on the attached photo?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

Looks like that daffodil color

or, look at Daisy:

Sandra thanked Beth H. :
  • Sandra
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ok, so here are the updates to my house so far. The shutters were painted a dark blue but the front door isn't the right yellow so I have to have it painted again. The shrubs were removed from the garage and still working on the garage hardware and light fixtures. What do you think of the shutter color?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

looks good. big improvement so far.

and yes, a brighter yellow is needed. (didn't I say go for the canary???! lol)

• Sandra
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yeah, lol....but then I saw this other yellow and thought it would look nice but to no avail. :( I'm going to have it repainted.

• Molly D. Zone4B
    2 years ago

Which yellow are you going to do? Daffodil?

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Need a stronger yellow for the door. SW Daffodil will make the front door more noticeable. I personally would have preferred the Wrought Iron shutter color.

• Sandra
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I'm going to go with Afternoon by Sherwin Williams, it is very similar to Daffodil

• Molly D. Zone4B
    2 years ago

I am not a designer but when I look at Afternoon it leans orange for me. It is your home so you need to choose a color you love. Personally, I have seen Beth’s recommendations on here and she’s usually spot on. Just my advice, but if she’s given you actual color names I’d go for one of them….

Sandra thanked Molly D. Zone4B
  • Sandra
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ok, so Beth and Molly and anyone else, do you think I should go with Daffodil? That's the one that Beth said originally would match the picture I like.

• Molly D. Zone4B
    2 years ago

Let Beth chime in…i think the color you chose may be similar in intensity, but dont forget about the undertone. To me its going to be ” Goldie” vs what I think of as canary. Yellows are tough…The door is small in comparison to your home, but its going to have big impact.

i hope i dont sound critical…you have done a nice job thus far!

• Molly D. Zone4B
    2 years ago

Also, what actual color is the body of the house? Light blue or gray? Give the actual color.

• Sandra
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I talked to several people at Sherwin Williams this morning and showed them the big print out of the picture of my house that I liked and all agreed that I should go with Afternoon so I'm really distraught. I hope it's afternoon, Daffodil seems too light to everyone.

The house is a blueish, grayish color, sometimes it looks blue, sometimes it looks gray, hard to tell.

• Molly D. Zone4B
    2 years ago

Beth may say its fine…I would just wait for her blessing…

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

lol.

Afternoon has a lot more orange in it

Afternoon is a nice color, but it's more like orange sherbet. I think a brisk yellow would look better.

I like daffodil although, it still leans a little golden/spck of orange in it.

If you want a true yellow, go w/a canary yellow

L to R, Canary, Afternoon, Daffodil. I don't care for the orange tones

Go to Home Depot and spend 2.99 on the behr sample pots. ahve them color match your SW colors (or look at their yellows) take them home and try them on your door. it's cheaper than spending 8 bucks a piece on the SW samples (and their samples are huge. you could paint your entire door w/their sample jar!)

Here are 5 Behr colors (And I like their paint. try some of these samples) I'd use a semi-gloss for an exterior door. it will last longer than a flat or satin.

Bicycle Yellow:

This is English Daisy (shown w/the blue) on the backs of these cabinets. It's a nice, solid looking yellow that works perfectly w/the blue. Get a sample of this one

• Molly D. Zone4B
    2 years ago

Sandra-

i vote for the Canary.

Do u need to use Sherwin Williams?

• Molly D. Zone4B
    2 years ago

Love the English Daisy!

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

I like the SW Daffodil. (Now we have all made you crazy!). Don’t go too light, whatever you do. The door needs to be an exclamation point.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

PS - Trust Beth over the guys at the paint store, please…. 😊

• Sandra
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I really don't know what to go with. All I know is that I want the front door to look like this picture attached. It really looks like afternoon is the closest match to it when I print this picture out. It is a yellowish/orangish shade.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Buy a quart of Afternoon and some poster board. Paint the poster board with two coats and hang on your door for a few days. If you love it, paint the door. If you’re still unsure, get another one of the stronger yellows,and repeat the test.

• Molly D. Zone4B
    2 years ago

The mock up picture to me looks different from your update picture. The update looks more light blue with a brighter blue shutter. Red Ryder is right…get some samples and tape them up.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

If you are thinking of windows for your garage door, as has been suggested, first check out the manufacturer of your door (check the side of the door for that info). They can often just remove the top panels and change them out for windows. It can be a quick fix. Good luck!

• Molly D. Zone4B
    2 years ago

Beth’s mock up with the 3 swatches is with the newly painted shutters and your house there is in the shade which accounts for the different appearance. I’d use that.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

Also…because you have a storm door on your door, it is obscuring the color and muting it. Another thought…in the mock ups, people have provided you with better sized shutters. Measure yours. They should each be HALF the size of your windows so that they would appear to actually cover them, if closed. A bit wider and a bit taller might give them more presence. Just a suggestion…

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Is the storm door obscuring the main one? If you need a storm door, then a solid glass rectangle with a paintable rim would be worth the money. Then the whole area will be yellow and prominent.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

just try Canary, Daffodil, Afternoon, and English Daisy! get the little Behr samples! not a big deal.

you could even mix some of them to make your own color

• Sandra
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That's a good idea, Beth. I think I will just get 4 poster boards and paint all 4 of them using those 4 colors and tape it up and see which one works. Thanks all!

• Sandra
    Original Author
    2 years ago

More updates, the shutters are a darker blue now and the door was painted in "Afternoon". The storm door really needs to go but I need the gable built first above the front door. I love the color though, I think this is it.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

It looks great! Good job!

Sandra thanked ptreckel
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

looks good from here

Sandra thanked Beth H. :
  • RedRyder
    2 years ago

The door color works. You can see it better now.

Sandra thanked RedRyder
  • Molly D. Zone4B
    2 years ago

Great improvements you have made!

Sandra thanked Molly D. Zone4B
  • Mark Rokster
    2 years ago

Well, whatever you do try to avoid bright vibrant colors for your facade