SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cristina_s37

The Smallest Container One Can Get Away With

Someone suggested I start a new thread for this question:

What is the smallest container one can get away with for a rose considered 'good-for-containers' and still expect good results?

The other day, when I took out Rosie The Riveter from her 24" pot and replaced it with Plum Perfect, the work was gruesome. That's because my containers sit on a raised deck and I had to carry many barely lifet-able tubs of soil up and down the 5 steps. Not fun.

For this reason, I can't add anymore 24" containers as they hold way too much soil that will need to be changed, and that's a lot even when you repot every 2-3 years. With several roses there (4-5), that will happen more often than I care. That's assuming all present roses works out well; it's more often when you want to replace with a better performer.

The others are in 20" diameter pots and seem to be doing fine.

Over time I plan to switch to small shrubs that grow bushy and compact like Adobe Sunrise; but for one, I have what I have, so I must make do.

My container roses are:

Easy Does it (in 18" pot, will move to 20" in Spring)

Belinda's Dream (20") - heard it being called a shrub that can be grown in container.

Plum Perfect (24") (same as above)

Olivia Rose (20") (same as above)

In reality, they stretch up and grow large and tall (maybe because they would not mind a bit extra sun).

The diameter is measured from the interior parts of the pot, not from the outside. That would make them an inch larger or so.

What do you think is the smallest container I can get away with for that raised deck?

Have people grown roses successfully in containers smaller than 24"?

I don't mean temporarily, when they wait to get their spot in the ground; I mean as a permanent home.

Thank you so much!

Comments (17)