SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferlovejoy

Help with kitchen layout - Suggestions Please :)

jenniferlovejoy
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I am taking out walls and creating an open concept kitchen and family room. I am working with an architect and designer but I haven’t been happy with the plans, so I am redrawing them myself. I’d really like feedback with the functionality of the layout I came up with, how much counterspace I planned, and if there are any things I should be thinking about to improve the space.

- island— The island is 10’x5’. The architect originally drew it 11’5”, so it lined up with the fridge. Huge sounds great in theory, but I thought it wasn’t balanced with my family room, so I scaled back.

-range/ oven— The plans include a 48” range and I’m hoping a standard counter depth slide in fridge will look ok next to it because SZ just doesn’t seem worth the price. I considered a rangetop and double ovens but the aesthetic of the 48” range is just such so beautiful

- bar— There will be a wine/ beverage fridge in the bar area. I put a tall cabinet next to the bar just to create another zone (not necessarily because I need it).

- sinks— I have contemplated switching the prep sink and main sink, but the main sink in the island just seems to layout better.

- microwave- I currently have a microwave drawer planned in the island but it could also go in the appliance garage, which would open up more drawers where I am cooking.

- family room- I haven’t decided how to layout my furnitire yet. That’s a whole different dilemma.

What I am used to…I have only ever had a 30” range, OTR microwave, and toaster oven, so it’s hard to anticipate everything I will need and use. I definitely want a second oven as it is very difficult to host at the holidays with just one and counter space is very important to me. I could put a convection oven with microwave above it where the appliance garage is, but I’m not sure if that’s overkill. We are a family of 4, and we host a lot. I have not been cooking elaborate meals over the last few years, as this season of life is crazy busy. However, I would like to plan ahead for future needs.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (45)