SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
sdumart

Should I stain the brick a different colour?

sdumart
28 days ago

Comments (33)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    28 days ago

I think the brick is one of the best features…

sdumart thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • sdumart
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Okay! What do we so to refresh the exterior look! change colour of eaves/windows/door?

• Related Discussions

what color should i paint the brick and trim?

Q

Comments (2)
    You should look at this product. It is a brick stain which will last a lifetime and comes in a variety of colours. Depending on where you live, you may be able to hire them to do it. http://permatint.com/
    ...See More

What colour should I paint brick exterior on house?

Q

Comments (22)
    Instead of painting the brick, if you still don't like them after having them sand blasted, consider staining them rather than painting them -- that would be a mistake. Seriously consider extending the deck the full width of the house -- better for use and resale value. alternately, build a covered porch from the deck and wrapping around the corner of the house, stopping at the chimney. If the deck (or a porch) were extended all the way to the end of the house, the higher ground would mean you'd only need a couple of steps to reach a patio on the end of your home. justgottabeme has the right idea with painting the foundation and window frames and siding already painted; however, you might consider using CWF or a dark, absorbant stain on the deck top and rails, painting only the posts (even with the foundation) rather than painting the actual deck or using a "solid stain" that looks like paint and, in my experience, doesn't hold up all that well..
    ...See More

Should I add shutters? Paint shakes and siding different colors?

Q

Comments (14)
    I think what your beautiful house is missing is some potted plants by your entry door and a bench and some planters on the side porch, landscaping would really bring your property to life! The house below is painted Benjamin Moore Exterior – Smoke Embers AC-28 & Trim – Simply White OC-117 Credit: life on cedar lane https://www.lifeoncedarlane.com/cedar-lane-paint-colors/
    ...See More

Help! What color do I paint my house. Also should I stain the rock or

Q

Comments (2)
    Yeah I posted it twice. I couldn't get it to upload a pic from my phone so I did it on the
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

I wouldn't.

But I would paint the trim a darker, better looking color. I'd do the ceiling, the door, and bring in copper tones to the landscaping. (and more autumn colors w/plants/flowers)

maybe stain the cedar a slightly darker tone (right now they disappear into the brick)

Here's my quick mock up. (I'd have to do something w/the white trim around the windows too)

and the porch. (see below for that ). right now I gave you darker stained posts, painted porch ceiling a pale blue/smokey gray, door-darker gray/blue, copper address numbers, copper plant containers, and warmer plant tones.

here's the same photo w/a black door. black, copper, orange all look great together. instead of a bright white, you could try a warmer, creamier white that pairs better w/the warm tones.

for example, see the stain color on these doors? paired w/the warmer charcoal siding color? These two options would look better w/your brick.

similar brick color. Either of these bronze colors, great choice. bring in copper accents, darker wood tones. the blue or the rust (or green) are great complimentary colors

same type of brick and similar ranch house (but this brick is on the yellow side) and you can see how the darker tones work. This one is BM Kendall Charcoal. Also an option w/your orange brick.

and , perhaps doing a porch paint for the cement porch, AND painting the ceiling of the porch. That white ceiling stands out like a sore thumb.

Ditto the white door. paint it.

These greens and the blues look great w/orange brick

sdumart thanked Beth H. :
  • sdumart
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Thanl you so much for all your suggestions

• sdumart
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Beth - one more question. would you paimt the evestrough?

• RedRyder
    28 days ago

You can see how well. your dark grey roof plays with your brick. You need more contrast and no white. Look at ivories for any trim you need to keep a light color (but consider the darker color anyway). @Beth H gave you a ton of colors that will make your brick look prettier. Do not paint it.

sdumart thanked RedRyder
  • tozmo1
    28 days ago

Your house has a real Frank Lloyd Wright vibe to it. Don't paint the brick or the stone. Many FLW houses had dark trim. Google Frank Lloyd Wright houses and check out some images for inspiration.

sdumart thanked tozmo1
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    28 days ago

if you mean the roof fascia, yes, I'd do that in the charcoal. anywhere you have that current reddish brown trim color.

as for the window trim, it's hard to tell w/o better photos.

• acm
    28 days ago

Uh, I'd just paint the door and window trim to better match the tones of the roof. Then a colorful door to draw the eye. :)

sdumart thanked acm
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    28 days ago

What can be painted? If everything I would paint ALL the trim one color- I prefer dark off blacks like Sherwin Williams Black Fox but lots of options. Then great color for the door. Basically you have the body color (warm brick), a trim color, then two accents- the stone and the entry door.

• Kelly
    28 days ago

A gray brick could look really fresh and modern if that’s your look! I think you can do a pigmented limewash so you don’t deal with the peeling of paint. Staining the wood a little darker and maybe adding some lodgey trim to the posts would add some character.

• Kelly
    28 days ago

Painting the porch ceiling would also be a nice pop of personality!

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

Beth has given you excellent suggestions, all of which would really elevate your curb appeal and style that FIT the home.

• felizlady
    28 days ago

Stain the porch supports. Painting brick may cause years of required maintenance if not done by a professional.

• RedRyder
    28 days ago

Yes, to what @felizlady is saying. Painting is not the same as a lime wash. Paint will be easier to get on and will, of course, be easier to fall off. (Read: maintenance forever). A limewash is a permanent change and takes a lot of work and is expensive to have done professionally. I don’t think your brick needs to be covered to “up” the look of your house. Don’t take on the work a paint job represents.

• sdumart
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Thank you to all! i have chosen SW IRon Ore for the trim colour and will first use it on the roof fascia.

Not sure if I should also do the porch celing that colour as well, and the window trim. Woild that make everything too dark?

OR paint the porch ceiling (all soffit area) and windows SW Alabaster?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    27 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

lets start w/the trim.

it's hard to find your color brick. (can you take a closer pic that shows the colors?)

here are similar brick colors w/dark trim

(I love the dark porch w/this one. and the dark gutters)

are you planning on painting the door?

staining the posts?

what about the porch?

the porch ceiling can be dark, light, blue, antique copper, whatever works.

But right now the large white window, white ceiling and white door are detracting from what you want.

test some colors. it's only paint.

I actually love this combo. the copper pot color, or something in that range, would be a nice accent color. maybe the ceiling? the door? the two neutrals are nice too

You can have porch paint tinted any color. even a semi transparent. (or solid) I like the Baked cookie shade, or caramelized for the porch/steps, maybe distance on the door, or even the iron ore. for sure I'd bring in copper planters.

porch posts:

if you want a full update, all will need to be addressed.

• tozmo1
    27 days ago

Here's the FLW houses that give me your vibe. They have dark trim but the porch ceiling/deep soffits are very creamy, not white. There's nothing particularly interesting about a porch ceiling (unless it's in the South and it's haint blue but that's not your house), so make it blend with the house not stand out. Don't do Alabaster. Do something a that blends.

Personally, I think Iron Ore is too black but that's me. You do you. I like what you have now and would do that around the windows and make the porch ceiling a much lighter version of that.

sdumart thanked tozmo1
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    27 days ago

IMO the windows should have been a bronze finish.

sdumart thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    27 days ago

Do all the painted surfaces (and the columns) dark. If you wanted the soffits lighter I can see that ( but I wouldn’t)

sdumart thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • sdumart
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Thank you to everyone. So appreciated! Excited to update the exterior!

• Dingle Berry
    27 days ago

Maybe a pale gray stain on brick. Also, color on door is beautiful, but just doesn’t work. Perhaps repaint with a bright yellow door to brighten things up.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    27 days ago

Keep us posted!

• RedRyder
    27 days ago

Yes, you have a lot of us invested in the outcome now!

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    25 days ago

Paint LARGE samples on poster board of the colors recommended by Beth above (whichever ones float your boat). Also paint the storm door to match the front door.

The iron ore looks really good. Will you paint the soffit a softer color?

sdumart thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • motupeg
    25 days ago

Looking good!

sdumart thanked motupeg
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    25 days ago
    last modified: 25 days ago

wow. that's looking great! now for sure you need to paint the porch ceiling something other than white.

so here are a bunch of color doors. see what you like.

found a picture of similar brick color and this peacock/teal door color

This door is actually Iron Ore, but the photo was taken in full sun, so it looks a lot lighter

the color would be closer to this one. looks nice w/the same color trim.

I also like this yam color, but couldn't find a modern door painted that color.

closest I could find is this one

I think the yam w/the iron ore would really look striking together. and since your door is mostly glass, it's not going to be overpowering.

Raisin

reddish orange hue w/a a dark trim. your Iron Ore trim would be a better choice w/this color.

I kind of like this deep blue color too. paired w/a light blue ceiling.

soft grayish blue. this color would look nice on the porch ceiling. If you decide on iron ore for the door, do this color on the ceiling.

either of these two gray/blues for the ceiling.

will you be staining the posts a darker shade?

• sdumart
    Original Author
    25 days ago

Thank you so much Beth! The porch ceiling painted a different colour means that the entire soffits need to be painted. i was hoping to not so that!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    25 days ago

ah, yes, I just noticed that.

Well, You could try just getting away w/the porch ceiling. but if you have to do the soffits, why not? If it's the extra expense, then do it as a DIY at you leisure. Get the front portion done, and then slowly do the other parts of the home.

I just can't help but notice what a diff it will make on the porch. Right now there is nothing white on the house. so that white ceiling is odd man out. I really like the soft blue/gray w/your brick and iron ore. Try it on the porch ceiling. The soffits aren't as noticeable.

Or, the other option is to replace just the ceiling on the porch w/a stained wood beadboard. it would match the posts (which I hope you're going to darken)

anyway to do this?

this one has the same color brick

Stained wood porch ceiling. Installed by Opal Enterprises in Naperville · More Info

that darker wood looks so good next to the Iron ore

these are semi-transparent concrete stains. maybe darken up the gray color a bit. you could tray and match the brick colors,,,

Or, go for a solid stain colors. the Gray color, smoke or charcoal would look nice.

• tozmo1
    24 days ago

Looking good!

Green? You have a lot of earthy tones, green works for me

I would try to do something to the porch roof. Maybe that's next year's project.

• shwshw
    24 days ago

Following…

• RedRyder
    24 days ago

It looks so good already.

sdumart thanked RedRyder