FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
waterloo481

suggestion as to furniture placement

waterloo481
2 months ago

We just had cream carpets replaced w this LVP- makes everything much darker
Sofa and dr set stay - all other furniture can be moved in room or to other rooms
My plan - electric fireplace across from sofa
Front brown chair gone
Option poll- 2 chairs at front window in a lighter colour?
Another chair to left of fireplace?
I can add drapes to bow window same as front or leave open and remove rod?

I have an antique cabinet that I’d like to move into this room but where?
End wall to one side,tree on other side, mirror in middle? Then other antique table in bow window ... or
Right side of sofa beside bow window
Or left side of sofa

Thanks in advance for all suggestions

Comments (67)

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    2 months ago

My dr is across the hall

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    2 months ago

In

• Related Discussions

Great room furniture layout help

Q

Comments (8)
    I like your 3--part plan. I think the FP section should be simply for entertaining guests - perhaps a "U" with a sofa and 4 chairs. One area should be for TV (4 swivel chairs grouped around a hassock or coffee table,) and the other could be a family game/snack table near the kitchen. The area rugs may need to be larger. The one where your main sofa is should slip comfortably under the front 1/3 of the sofa and extend past its ends by 1-2 feet. Any leggy chairs should sit on it completely. Skirted or very short legged chairs can simply have their front 1/3 on it. At the game and snack table, a rug should be 36-48" larger than the table top so the chairs can be scooted in and out (and sat in) without them falling off the rug.
    ...See More

Family room furniture help ?

Q

Comments (8)
    I like the condo size sofa, but definitely try out one that deep before you buy. We bought a similar width sofa that is also deep (the seat cushion front to back) and it has not been comfortable for us. We have to use several throw pillows, slouch, and almost always prop our legs on an ottoman to have it be cozy. If everyone in you family is really tall, it might not be as much of an issue, we are both just average height.
    ...See More

Bed placement and window treatments

Q

Comments (4)
    you have a beautiful tray ceiling. paint it so that it's a feature, and lose that ceiling fan for a nice chandelier of some type. (if you really want a fan, then get a better looking one) this window layout looks like yours. see how they did the mirror between the two? but notice the tray accent and how they did a beautiful medium paint color so that it's highlighted? and a newer fan looks better than your 1985 model! you could also do a solid metallic color like they've done here, and replace fan w/a light. this layout is similar to how your windows are placed some other layout ideas if you're thinking about putting in a french door between your two windows:
    ...See More

Furniture placement in Living area

Q

Comments (5)
    Hello Trishe, Welcome to the HOUZZ tip table. Here are a couple of questions for us. Thanks for the floor plan that really helps a lot!! Can we get a picture of the room with your back to the sliding doors? Are the two chairs swivel chairs? What are the measurements of the fireplace from the floor to the top of the surround? Marcie
    ...See More
  • Angel 18432
    2 months ago

Would you be interested in chalk painting the table and chairs black?

• Angel 18432
    2 months ago

or put it in the dining room and the black set in there, in the kitchen.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 months ago

If you want to keep the black dining set and that black table here, I would remove the china cabinet and put the table there with a big piece of art 5" above it, baskets or one or two of your heirlooms underneath. You need art 5" above the sofa too, and maybe above the new fireplace. How about the white bench at the foot of a bed somewhere? I think you only have room for one additional chair though. You want it to be proportional to the sofa and two that are sized right will overpower the room again. Flank the sofa with two floor lamps. Put the ceiling fixtures on dimmers. Get art lights for the art you add. If you want rugs, one should be wider than the sofa and one in the dining room should be at least 36" larger than the table top and not run into baseboards or furniture on the walls.

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Wow such great ideas
    Angel - the oak table and chairs in kitchen have seen many a good meal and the table is worn right though in spots- we should replace as we don’t have hugs gatherings anymore. I could chalk paint a chair at the desk - I’ll research chalk painting

Decoenthusiaste
    I see your vision and like it.
    I can easily move bench
    Ceiling light is on dimmers
    In this scenario, where can I place the cabinet which I want to keep? On the left of sofa at front? On the left of bay window?
    With one extra chair that’s seating for 4 - I wondered about a small sectional w wing at front and 1 chair- the one chair on left of fireplace
    Our groups are 8 in size( all retired)

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I have art to be returned to wall.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 months ago

Can you post pix of the fireplace you're considering? What is the measurement of the two long walls in the living area? And what are the measurements of the fireplace?

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    2 months ago

A fireplace similar to this w a mantel on wall opposite sofa which is 8’ 9”
    I’m thinking about 40” wide since my ceilings are only 7’ 6”

The sofa wall is 16’9” from wall to edge of bay window

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Or like this w a motor

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Mirror

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    2 months ago

This is the previous location of this cabinet but I’ve always wanted a fireplace and I need more seating

• decoenthusiaste
    2 months ago

For more seating, your best bet is to leave the cabinet in the dining room, forget about the fireplace, and put the sofa table and two chairs on the wall opposite the sofa. Art over the sofa table and a lamp on it. Scale the chairs to be a bit less imposing than the sofa.

• Angel 18432
    2 months ago

Lovely cabinet. I agree, I think you have to forget the fireplace. Your room is not that big and something has to give.

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    last month

Hmm

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    last month

decoentusiaste -This is the sofa table kind of opposite the sofa but would have to be pushed to the bay window to be opposite. My end table gives no room to get around

Does the art over the sofa need to coordinate with the art over the sofa -I'm getting frustrated and confused

Someone also suggested floor lamps on each side of sofa

Something is still missing

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    last month

Might give a better idea of room - each square is a foot

• chachawoman
    last month

Have you ever had your sofa in front of the window in your living room? If you have room for it there, then you could place two chairs opposite the sofa. Your glass cabinet could stay in the dining room. Maybe the console table could serve as an entry table by the front entrance. Draw your furniture to scale and move the pieces around on your graph paper. I agree with others that your room is too small for a fireplace. Maybe a couple pretty hurricane lamps on your console table would give you some ambiance.

• chachawoman
    last month

I see now that you don’t want your sofa in front of the window. You could however still have a chair and lamp for reading in the corner of the living room where you originally had the brown chair.

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks I think that corner calls for a chair and a floor lamp

• KW
    last month

@waterloo481 After reading all comments I have question - why is it you don’t want sofa in front of window in LR side of room? Seems that, along with not adding fire place, would open room up for more seating. If sofa in front of window, the long wall where sofa currently sits is opened for 2 chairs & a third could be across room angled & on left side of doorway. I think that would make a nice conversational grouping & seat at least 6. Also curious how long the sofa is - can it be floated in room with back to dining table? Chairs could then be in front of window & along long wall opposite entry. I do like console table in the bay window.

waterloo481 thanked KW
  • waterloo481
    Original Author
    last month

Ok tried this - long blank wall, chair on left of doorway has big awkward space behind it .... and front window only view to roadway so everyone kneels on it to look out

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    last month

Extra chairs can always be pulled from dr area

• KW
    last month
    last modified: last month

@waterloo481 I just have to admit I got quite the giggle imagining your guests lined up kneeling on the couch to look out the window!🤣 What is the attraction out that window? If it’s just a good vantage point to see who’s at door, try pulling everything out a bit for a space to scoot back there. I do like the look of the room with the couch in front of window. What is the standing crane & floral piece in first pic behind dining chair next to bench? Can it be moved to right of vintage cabinet in DR? Arm chair with big awkward space does need things around it. Art on wall, a floor lamp & a small side table to set my drink or book on. Now it looks like a nice place to sit & read or visit & not awkward at all. You said you’re replacing this chair & the bench is going into bedroom. Means you need 2 chairs for opposite wall so maybe you can use the bonded leather chair to visualize size of new chairs. Or cut a piece of cardboard the footprint size of a chair you like to see if fits space. You might need a small drinks table between them too. Suggest another leather chair & 2 fabric print chairs to add texture, color & variety to room. Wonder if swivel chairs would work? That would make it easy to turn different directions for conversation & maybe also to look out that window! Seems like this arrangement maximixes space, creates easy walk through space & also leaves a space in the middle to set 2 chairs from dining table for extra seating without having to move any other furniture. I like it! Others will weigh in I’m sure.

ETA chairs - maybe 2 leathers & 1 print one on long wall…..

waterloo481 thanked KW
  • waterloo481
    Original Author
    last month

yes that's right -if some of them are out playing road hockey(we live behind a circle) others are kneeling on the sofa watching-grandkids are standing on it even to watch birds at bird bath

the crane was a bird bath too pretty to put outside so holds a huge candle now-I've moved beside hutch - sofa table back in window-that area is FULL.

easy to put a lamp and table beside leather chair (to be replaced) -I used to have vintage cabinet behind it.

The 2 chairs on opposite wall would need to be pulled back to dr area because of coffee table-t

he room is narrow

this is when I had it painted chocolate

• Angel 18432
    last month

Must be Waterloo Ontario - playing hockey ???

• chachawoman
    last month

I like the sofa in front of the window. It looks like it belongs there. Instead of angling the brown chair on the left side, try placing it parallel to the sofa facing the coffee table. You would actually need two matching chairs side by side with a small table in between. If this works, then you will be able to pass through your living room without going around an angled chair. I don’t know what to tell you about the grandkids standing on the sofa!

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    last month

I would them move them when we have guests to get more seating from the dr table chairs?

• KW
    last month

@waterloo481 - I like @chachawoman idea on chair placement. I knew someone would come up with ideas & I didn’t realize the 11+ feet in width was too narrow for chairs with the coffee table. The coffee table is more important than 2 chairs on that wall so I do Iike placing 2 chairs facing couch. It’s a nice division between DR & LR. I think when you need the extra seating the dining chairs can just fit on each empty side of coffee table without moving any permanent chairs or sofa. In your picture with dining chair & bench on that wall it appears there’s plenty of room between wall & coffee table. Does the decorative birdbath look nice in that empty corner by doorway& next to hutch in the dining room? I know we liked the console table in window - the room might be full but my visual is that it looks nice. I now understand the attraction of the window. Maybe you can leave enough space behind sofa for small kids to get back there to look out window. The big kids - those grandparents - they’ll just have to be retrained to stand in front of sofa! ☺️

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    last month

Suggestions then for a long 18’ blank wall?

• KW
    last month

@waterloo481 - looking at your drawing of floorplan - both the the 16’9” wall & the 9’ wall across from it need art. You mentioned you have art - does it still go with this room in new arrangement? What do you think of a large piece hung on longest wall & a gallery of art on the opposite wall between the two doorways?

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    last month

The large pieces is above above sofa.
    Should it not be anchored?

• KW
    last month
    last modified: last month

@waterloo481 is sofa not in new spot in front of window? Art doesn’t always have to be anchored to something directly below it. In this case, it could be centered on wall between couch & chairs which, in new arrangement, face each other. The piece should be fairly large to not get lost on that wall.

ETA- when you enter the LR through the doorway closest to front entry, one would see the large art directly ahead.

• chachawoman
    last month

KW I like your idea for new location of the art work on the long wall.

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    last month

-Art on the wall
    -Space on side of sofa for grandkids to get to front window
    -Extra chairs set for guests which have to be moved back to table when card games start
    Will need small arm chairs in order to access walkway to dr. From lr area
    Concerns that art in smaller wall will be knocked when trying to squeeze through
    Might be better to angle arm chairs for dr access and allow for some lighting?

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    last month

Feels squishy

• chachawoman
    last month

It feels squishy because that table is too big. If you got a floor lamp that has a table surface on it you could run an extension cord under an area rug. Then you will have light and a small surface to set down a book, a drink, etc.

• chachawoman
    last month

It is starting to shape up! Instead of the two chairs against the wall, how about that cute upholstered bench. You don’t necessarily need art on the opposite wall. Sometimes less is more.

waterloo481 thanked chachawoman
  • waterloo481
    Original Author
    last month

So a floor lamp basically in the middle of the room?
    Seniors prefer backs when they sit- we had that bench before and no one wanted to sit there

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    last month

With this layout I probably could have a fireplace where picture is -

• Angel 18432
    last month

Might just be me, but I don't like the sofa in the window. Think it would look better where you had it before, with two chairs in the bay window..

waterloo481 thanked Angel 18432
  • KW
    last month

@Angel 18432 The ”bay” window is in DR, this LR window is a large flat picture window. Small point but important for space. I disagree & think the couch looks great in front of window. @waterloo481, I do agree using the bench for seating won’t work for anyone except kids. The lamp built into a table that @chachawoman is suggesting might work but even just a smaller table with lamp on it will help with fitting. To help me visualize space for 2 chairs & table in your 11’ wide room, I measured the footprint of 2 large chairs with table between that I have in an open room. The floorspace they use is 8’ with generous space between the chair arms & table. Chair backs are 30” & 35” (large) & table is 20”. I have another chair in that room with a 25” back. I think if you had 16” wide table between 2 chairs with 25” wide backs the spacing would work. There would be 33” of space for each walkway at outside edge of chairs which could be adjusted slightly either way. Thinking about fireplace, there might be room for that if you’re thinking of a wall mounted electric fireplace. I looked them up to get an idea of sizes. Found 31” L X 21” H X 5.5”D that can be recess mounted into the wall. This would still allow space for 2 dining room chairs in front of it for extra seating! Art & a narrow mantle above would work too.

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks for all the options

• Angel 18432
    last month

Corrected - it's not a Bay.

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    last month

I knew what you meant. Some of these homes do have bays at the front and side

• Angel 18432
    last month

Just a thought. Your round coffee table takes up a lot of space and I think a long sleeker one would give you more space. Try putting that bench in front of the sofa, just to give an idea

of what a long one would look like.

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    last month

With a slim coffee table I’d need to move chairs forward so guests are not shouting at each other
    That would give a large space behind
    I’d still need to pull 3 more chairs into grouping and then move back to table for cards

• waterloo481
    Original Author
    last month

things moved again since Thanksgiving. In order to extend dining table we had to move the table in the bay window Sofa stayed at front and 3 yr old loved the tunnel behind

Big pic stayed on wall w grey bench below

2 chairs angled with opening to dining room and access to sitting at dr table

round coffee table serve its purpose for all surrounding it

Long table from bay window opposite small bench

still a work in progress but at least we were able to try it out and tweet before card group

• chachawoman
    last month

I’m glad it’s coming together! Post a picture.