SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_bablabla75

Are fridge/freezer flex drawers good? If you have one, do you like it?

Sarah
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I'm shopping for a counter-depth French door fridge and want to maximize usable volume. I've had side-by-sides or single-door fridges all my life (and didn't really like them), so I'm already well into the range of having to imagine how it will feel to use this fridge every day. And I'm having trouble further imagining whether this drawer is a good or a bad idea.

On one hand, it sounds nice to have space that can be used for additional fridge or freezer space as needed. I can imagine myself wanting to put a sheet full of cookie dough in there to chill before putting it in the oven, or maybe storing prepared side dishes in advance of Thanksgiving or Christmas.

But I can think of some costs, too. First, obviously I'm losing some space to overhead for the mechanics and insulation of an additional drawer, and I pay that cost 24/7, whether I'm using the drawer or not. Second, I suspect that I'll use that drawer for overflow the first time I get close to running out of space in the fridge/freezer, and then that stuff will just permanently stay in there. So when I have a cookie sheet to chill or a side dish to store, that space will already be occupied. I suppose it still gives me the flexibility to "make" new space from the fridge or freezer and then shift everything around. But I'm still not sure if that's worth the overhead of losing an extra cubic foot or two to the drawer mechanics and insulation. And of course the additional cost. And it looks like the freezer is just permanently smaller.

Has anybody used one of these and liked or hated it?

Thanks!

Edit: I just saw a YouTube video where a family used it for beverages. My husband drinks a lot of canned soda and I drink a lot of bottled beverages, so that's a usage that hadn't occurred to me. Though of course that would remove our flexibility. (Video for those interested is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4iSV2agxCU)

Also, my dad points out that this would be nice until we have an external freezer, which we plan to get eventually. We could use this as freezer space when we need it, then once we have an external freezer we could use it as excess fridge space.

I'm still unsure if these benefits are worth the permanent cost of space and money, though.

Comments (24)