SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (19)

• User
    2 years ago

I don’t care for it at all; aside from the design and colors and overall feel of the property, which I dont’t like, the idea of a ”luxe barn” seems ridiculous artifice. However, it’s interesting to see what kind of house people with their own ideas about everything choose to build.

• deegw
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

VERY nice and not cookie cutter. I'm surprised that some of the rooms are so dark, especially considering they have huge window walls.

Edited to add, I agree with KSWL that "luxe barn" is a bit of a turn-off but marketing is marketing.

• Lars
    2 years ago

It reminds me of Joanna Gaines and the "Waco" look. I grew up near Waco and never liked it, but I think it is fine for those who do like it. My nephew has made furniture out of old barn wood that I thought was interesting and nice, but I never wanted any of it for myself.

I like the spaciousness of it, but it does not give me a warm feeling. If it were in a colder climate, I think it might be difficult to heat, but in L.A. that would not be an issue. Personally, I would want more walls for hanging art.

The "kitchen" looks like it is just for making snacks, and that is okay too, but not for me.

• Joaniepoanie
    2 years ago

I like some individual pieces and elements but as a whole—-no. I don’t care for this style but it’s not that so much as quite a few rooms are dark and dreary and just look depressing.

• bbstx
    2 years ago

I want an “entertainment barn.”

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    2 years ago

I want to see the silver throne chairs. hahaha

• Springroz
    2 years ago

I think that bronz-y colored velvet sofa is cute as all get out. The rest? Not so much.

• jill302
    2 years ago

It’s okay. I agree with Joaniepoani too dark and dreary for me. Looks like beautiful location though.

• Sister Sunnie
    2 years ago

Oh we have an entertainment barn…but it looks nothing like this lol according to the time of year, our entertainment

space is shared with thousand of bales of hay, or equipment etc But we love it!

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

I wonder how many years they will live in it before they sell it or rework it. Even though these houses are sometimes fairly long in the making, they seem to end up on the market on a relatively short cycle. Part of the issue here, I think, is even though this was apparently a five-year process, the interiors look very 2020+/- a la mode. It's not so very different from the Kip's Bay Showhouse in Texas in spirit. On the one had it's being touted as "very personal" but on the other hand it's very recognizable as what is happening at the high end of the market (whether that be interpreted as "barn" or as something else). It's aspirational high-end rustic, and it's well-done for what it is, but personal, I don't know...in their last house apparently a giant crystal chandelier and silver chairs was their "personal", and it just makes me wonder what their "personal" of 2030 is going to be.

That's fine. I think if I had lots of money I would design and build lots of houses in order to be able to express my design interests in a number of different ways. And most people are rather influenced by trends and such. I think what is off-putting about articles like this is that they are trying to represent these huge expensive projects as some sort of quasi spiritual journey, when really this is the house they want to live in right now, until the next time.

• Springroz
    2 years ago

What put me off was the listing of her clothes’ pedigree, right off the bat.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

Not my taste at all...dark and cold without any warmth or coziness. Only a few elements that I like...I always appreciate the efficiency of the bunk rooms for kids sleepovers. I like the free-standing tub in front of the window. But I can't get past the dark wood and the coldness of the windows...which is so opposite to how I usually feel about wood and windows. There's something about this place that just leaves me cold.

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

Now that AD has turned into an aspirational lifestyle magazine with a regular celebrity focus, they do focus on the fashions used in the shoot as well.

I have a collection of old Architectural Digests (1950s -1970s) and the change has been really interesting: the magazine used to be read by the same demographic as the people whose houses were featured. In some of the issues the only automobile advertised was Rolls-Royce. However they rarely featured celebrities and even if they were showing the interiors of a celebrity or CEO, the houses were actually fairly modest compared to now. But there was a fairly direct link between the readership and the editorial content. If you were reading the magazine, it was not unlikely that you could more or less afford to live in a house similar to those featured.

Now the magazine is a symbol of increasing wealth disparity, and skews aspirational rather than achievable. The income of the demographic has Decreased significantly and the the income of the people who have editorial features has Increased exponentially. It's essentially "poor people" reading about "rich people": the income of the readers is not bad, mind you, it's just that now the people whose houses are featured now have three Hermes handbags that would take the reader's entire salary. The whole exercise seems rather pointless to me.

• pricklypearcactus
    2 years ago

Over the last year I've been receiving AD (gift from my mother) and their house was featured there as well (a few months back I think). Like Lars I immediately saw it as a multi-million dollar take on the "modern farmhouse" / Joanna Gaines trend. Personally I love the pool, the windows, and some of the exposed roof structures, but that's about it.

Palimpsest, it's interesting to hear you say that about AD. I'm in my late 30s now but as a teen I remember thumbing through my mother's AD and really enjoying it. This is the first time I've received a subscription and I've felt some disappointment, but I couldn't quite pinpoint the reason. I think maybe you've nailed it. So many of the homes seem so extravagant and unattainable that I don't even find it inspiring.

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

I think if I had lots of money I would design and build lots of houses in order to be able to express my design interests in a number of different ways.

Yes, yes, yes to this! I have often thought it would be great to have at least 3 different houses/residences in different locations to do different design elements in each one.

• Moxie
    2 years ago

The pool is nice. Otherwise, it's not my cuppa. About 2 months ago I realized that I'm already sick of black windows.

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

And not being able to design in distinctly different vocabularies is maybe the only thing I really miss about designing for other people. I am an architectural purist pretty much so I never want to do anything attached that is not right for the house, but I am very eclectic when it comes to furniture.

• jojoco
    2 years ago

I like it. It wouldn't be what I would choose for my main residence (I like a more formal setting), but for a weekend retreat, it combines structure and elegant furnishing in a more laid-back setting. The perfect combination for weekend entertaining (if anyone does that anymore.)

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

He's an ISH; who cares.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm