SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nebster

How should I furnish this fishbowl of a room?

nebster
2 years ago

Hi all,

We moved into this home earlier this year, and we've made do with pieces carried over from our last place so far. But now we're ready to improve our main living area -- be that with furniture, lighting, just moving stuff around, or whatever.

This room is 16.5' by 60', but the "rear" 25 feet are kitchen. It's an open plan, and you're seeing our dining area (which is just past our kitchen island) and then our living area.

The entire living/dining area is glass: glass doors and windows throughout.

There is a wood stove in the center of the living area that needs about 4 feet of clearance into the room -- it gets hot!

We've "split the difference" for now, placing our too-large chaise lounger up against the north wall while floating our much lighter-feeling loveseat off the south wall.

This layout is ... okay? But I'd like to make things better. We could really use one or two small side tables for drinks or books. We definitely need better, layered lighting -- just two sets of LED cans on the ceiling are what we have to work with so far. (Wiring more ceiling lights is probably not in the cards at this time, given the amount of rework we'd have on the ceiling.)

I keep wrestling with whether to float everything into something cozier, which would work okay, except the wood stove really cuts into the available area and limits our options. And even if we did that, I'd still like your thoughts on how to bring in more lighting so I don't feel like I'm living in a warehouse at night.

Thoughts?

Comments (40)

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994