SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_462023248

Cedar Trim, White Door Jambs? New wood doors? Help!

HU-462023248
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello,

I have a cedar home and I've been slowly replacing the cedar trim and baseboards and doors. So far the doors have been painted 15 light fibreglass exterior doors but as I move upstairs I have four old wood interior doors that are beyond repair in some cases unless painted. I painted one already but it is still a cheap hollow door.

I'm tryting to decide if I should replace them with solid knotty wood doors or painted doors.

In this case, would you replace the jamb with new wood as well or paint the existing jambs if you did a solid knotty wood door? It seems odd to have a wood door with wood trim and painted jambs but I can't picture it to see what would be correct.

Additionally, the closet doors were beyond repair and they have painted jambs with stained qtr round trim. I'm trying to make it cohesive but I can't see what's best!

Any thoughts? Thank you!

Photo 1: New painted exterior door that is visible from the rest of the space - I want to match interior doors to this look and feel

Photo 2: Damaged door & jamb - repaired & painted - Replace painted door with knotty wood door? New jamb or leave it painted?

Photos 3 & 4: The other three doors, two old damaged dark wood, unpainted jambs, one more painted door & jamb - Replace with knotty wood? New jamb or paint?

Photo 5: There's a funky old set of double closet door with louvers there too I don't know what to do with.

Or should I just paint all the doors and jambs and trim them in cedar as well?

Photo 6: Closet DoorsWood trim, painted jambs - would you do wood doors or painted closet doors here? Maybe paint the qtr round or does it look ok?

Comment (1)