SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Wardrobe issues…the “in between”

Sueb20
2 years ago

Especially thanks to the pandemic, I have loads of super casual clothes, from athletic or quasi-athletic wear to jeans and tops and sweaters. I also have a handful of dressy dresses. But then the invitation to dinner at a nice restaurant comes (okay, not so much lately) or, say, a bridal shower or… you know, the in-between stuff. Last night we were invited to dinner at a friend’s country club. Not our usual arena. It was a warm and humid night, so I ended up wearing a summer cotton dress, not fancy but it ended up being an appropriate choice and I was comfortable. But I endured a fair amount of angst staring into my closet beforehand.

Summer tends to be easier for me because I have several summery dresses that can be dressed up or down. And I have some sandals that work well. But fall and winter are another story. I literally have ONE pair of black dress pants and I don’t even like them very much. I have a very hard time finding pants that fit because I’m short (5’2”) and pear shaped. I would love to find a couple of pairs of pants and maybe a couple dressier tops, too. I tend to like a slightly boho, arty look. Talbots is not me. More like anthropologie and sundance catalog, although I have never bought pants at either place. I like a lot of the clothes at Garnet Hill, too.

Any thoughts? Do my friends want to put together some outfits for me? What is your go-to outfit for occasions like this?

Comments (145)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I adore Boden too! A lot of their clothes don’t work for me because I’m short (they have some petites but not usually in their tops) but I’ve had some great dresses and sweaters from Boden.

ETA I just got this shirt from Old Navy. It was on sale at the time so it was a real bargain. I have been doing embroidery lately so I was looking for something to ”embellish.” I have to say, I love this shirt. It has just enough of an A-line that it has a lot of forgiveness, but it’s not super oversized or long (I bought a petite). And it has a bit of stretch, too. I got a flannel shirt from Old Navy last year too that I really like.

• bbstx
    2 years ago

I bought denim shirt from Talbot’s several years ago that I never wore. I only bought it because I read somewhere that it was a ”classic” and very versatile when one travels. I may have worn it once. Finally I sold it on Poshmark. I would still like to have one in my closet ”just because.” I think what I really want, though, is perhaps chambray not denim. Has anyone seen a good chambray shirt similar to the one from Old Navy above?

ETA: Maybe NOT this one for ($325 Nordstrom)

• Related Discussions

Summer wardrobe and summer plans?

Q

Comments (48)
    Are there any slim feet people here? I have to share my new worlds most comfortable sandal from The Flexx shoe company. They have a stretchy section. Love! I'll be able to do lots of miles on vacation. They have a 1 1/2" heel. Here is the link at Nordstrom. It says they fit true to size but if they fit my foot perfectly they must be at least slightly narrow. Not overly though. http://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s/the-flexx-band-together-sandal/3520349?cm_mmc=google--productads--Women%3AShoes%3ASandals_Slides-_-909074&rkg_id=h-77242275352e1500631745f06a4fef51_t-1496187451&adpos=1o1&creative=145503081341&device=m&network=g&gclid=COHMpszkmNQCFVMGhgod5ccBrg
    ...See More

New project: Wardrobe too burdensome

Q

Comments (92)
    artemis, I am like you when you stated: "I have a bad habit of not getting back to the post office in time to return things I order online that end up not fitting." Wish I could work through that issue. It is like throwing money in the trash. I worked another few minutes this morning, not quite 15. One of my granddaughters said she might have time to help me tomorrow. I have a bad back and that hampers the length of time I can work at the purging. I know that I want to get rid of nearly everything in my closets. A few I will try to sell, but most will try to find a charitable institution to donate to. Will look for a local Dress for Success or try to find an address for a women's shelter. I know we have several shelters in our metroplex; however, their addresses are very well guarded for a very good reason.
    ...See More

Walk-in Closet - or larger master bath and wardrobe

Q

Comments (19)
    Loving the thoughts, and I’ve been battling so many different ideas here. The master at the back has been intriguing, as the ceiling would be easy to vault above that side, and could open up the space as well. To the previous comments, this house has a basement that I can easily open the basements, so plumbing on the right side would remain a straight through path if I keep it aligned. The laundry room variation is a great thought, although it would make me somewhat uncomfortable as the “kids” bathroom needs to be usable for visitors needing to go... we decided against a kids bathtub, as baths are supervised while they are young, or earlier in the evening as they get older (I really don’t see the point of a bath... but my wife insist on a freestanding one). I’ll have finalized measurements on Monday, and will take these design thoughts back into a new diagram. Your feedback has been awesome!
    ...See More

Should old wardrobe be refinished or just rejuvenated?

Q

Comments (33)
    Sam: The back is fiberboard. The inside walls are not finished but it is very dirty. I haven't mentioned the odor because right now it's too coated with crud to smell it. The whole thing smells pretty musty. After I clean it a bit better I'll sand it to get the smell back. I'll try to get you a better picture of it soon. Probably some close-ups of the finished sides and the unfinished inside. Not enough light to get a good picture tonight. Maifleur: The triangular area you mentioned in the picture above the door that's loose is actually part of that door where it had broken off the side of it in the hinge area. Edited to add: Also, I talked to my husband about the possibility of the bubbling being caused by sap from fresh cut wood and he pointed out to me that if it hadn't been dried, that as it started drying on it's own it would have shrunk and left gaps between the boards. Since it doesn't have any gaps, I guess that leaves it as someone trying to remove the finish using heat. The only other cause I've read about is from prolonged direct sun exposure, but if it was that, it would have been on just whatever sides were facing the sun, not on both sides and the front.
    ...See More
  • Bluebell66
    2 years ago

BBSTX, have you tried JCrew? They usually have some good chambray shirts:

J.Crew: Clothes, Shoes & Accessories For Women, Men & Kids (jcrew.com)

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

@bbstx Sue's shirt comes in light wash (chambray).

• User
    2 years ago

I’ve been moved to look over my fall clothing; this thread has surprised me with pleasant nostalgia for the peasant / boho look of the 70’s . It’s not my style at this point but I LOVE seeing it on others!

I am not planning to buy anything new this year as my clothes were updated (and not worn much) before the pandemic —and for me that means the same looks in slightly different fits or lengths. My fall wardrobe daily wear is straight legged, slightly cropped (just below ankle bone) slacks in black, camel, gray, glen plaid and a light gray glen plaid, with fine gauge cotton crew neck sweaters that hit just past the hips, a silk scarf and Birdies shoes or (new to me) Rothy’s pointed ballet flats or suede driving shoes. I have very similar sweaters in merino or cashmere for colder weather, and the wool challis wraps in camel, black and gray (plus a few patterned ones for whenI feel wild and crazy) that i have worn for years. As it gets cooler I will wear a trenchcoat, then a black boucle mandaring collar full lemgth coat. My socks will transition from hidden sockettes / footies to knee high cotton lisle socks, which I have had to replace this year and are hard to find. I ended up paying over $25 per pair for the Pantherellas I like ☹️ Luckily I only needed black, camel, gray, navy and burgundy, and hopefully they will last until buying my socks is someone else’s problem!

I admire people who have a wide variation of looks in their closets and have the taste—- not to mention the decision making bandwidth!— to put together an outfit each day. My wardrobe always reverts to a uniform, even back in the days when I did not realize that was what it was.

• rubyclaire
    2 years ago

@User My uniform is much the same but for I probably wear jeans 90% of the time. I would love to know your source/s for good quality fine guage cotton crew neck sweaters. I have quite a few in merino and cashmere but need more in cotton given I live in Florida.

• bbstx
    2 years ago

I have ordered this one from J. Crew. Thanks, Bluebell, for the reminder to check there.

btw, for anyone who wants to shop J. Crew today, Oct. 12, there is free shipping and 40% off with code GOBIG.

• User
    2 years ago

RubyClaire, my newish cotton sweaters came from J.McLaughlin, they are similar to this one they have currently in cashmere:

although the hem on mine is a little higher and cotton knit has more body to it and drapes a little differently. Right now they seem to have mostly cashmere with a few cotton /modal blend sweaters, but I purchased mine in 2018 (yikes!}). In the past I have purchased fine gauge cotton sweaters from Talbot’s, a brand I dont recall from Nordstrom’s and even Land’s End, although all those were less tunic-y, iykwim 🙂

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    2 years ago

J Crew is one of my main go to's for clothing and I'm rarely disappointed in the quality. They have good sales too.

• rubyclaire
    2 years ago

Thank you kswl - the tunic sweater is very cute. I probably prefer the at hip length most of the time but that might be a cute option. Helps hide the baby weight. (From 1993)

• jb1586
    2 years ago

For anyone who loves Boden, there are pages and pages of sale items on Zulilly today.

• tuesday_2008
    2 years ago

Rubyclaire, believe it or not, i have several light weight, fine gauge 100% cotton sweaters that I purchased at Old Navy about five or six years ago. I think i paid $9.99 each, they look high quality and wash extremely well. Classic, crew neck, rib trim at waist and cuffs.

They were my go-to sweaters when I wore a lot of khaki during my working days. I also have some thicker cotton LL Bean and Eddie Bauer that are at least 15 years old. i have ver dry, sensitive skin and love good cotton; I canno wear acrylic or wool.

• rubyclaire
    2 years ago

Thanks tuesday - I will add Old Navy to my search!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    2 years ago

Uniqlo also has some very nice lightweight merino wool sweaters,

https://www.uniqlo.com/ca/en/search?q=merino&path=384

I've been pleased with the quality of Uniqlo products I've bought.

And kswl's post reminds me that in their new season partnership with Theory, Uniqlo has a black wool blend coat, priced in Canada at a very reasonable $160. I got a Uniqlo-Theory polo shirt earlier this year which I love, but I'm just under 5'6" and would need the coat in a petite size, which Uniqlo unfortunately doesn't offer.

I've been amazed by the quantity of gently used J. Crew sweaters available on Poshmark Canada.

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

I came back to share my new found love of the Athleta brand.. ok, most pieces are a little more casual than the "in betweens" .. but not all. I ordered a just opened a package and am in love with every single item! They are all comfy and easy to wear but a bit more refined than most casual wear and definitely well made.

I'd previously sung the praises of Beyond Yoga leggings and I am still a loyal fan-- but I am here to tell you that I like Athleta leggings every bit as much-- and they have the added bonus of coming in regular, petite and tall sizes (I wear regular so not a big bonus for me-- but will definitely help others including my mother and sisters).

It started with Sue a month or more ago when she purchased the Pranayama wrap-- i ordered one too and then placed another order! This time, I got the whole outfit below as well as a pair of black leggings. The medieval violet leggings are my favorite! Love the not quite blue and not quite purple color. It is a great break from black without being inappropriate for a chubby old woman!

Sueb20 thanked Funkyart
  • Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Thanks for mentioning Old Navy @tuesday_2008. I have not shopped there in a very long time, and usually then only for jeans. It seems everyone is having big sales right now and I got an email from old navy and decided to take a look. I ordered a cotton sweater (cardigan) and a shacket (shirt jacket - I am seeing them advertised alot) in a yummy pale pink! We have a short period of truly cold weather so I do not care for or need heavy sweaters, jackets, etc.

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Funky, I too love Athleta. Have you tried Vuori performance joggers? They fit a but more loosely than leggings, have pockets, and the softest ever. I was given a pair for Christmas last year and bought myself another pair I liked them so much. Then I bought DH a pair of lined workout shorts for the gym and he liked them so much he bought another pair. They are a little pricey (not more so than Athleta or Lulu though) but you usually get a first-time purchase discount of 15%.

• 4kids4us
    2 years ago

I love my Athleta Trekkie Hike pants. They are lightweight but I can’t really describe the fabric they are made of - it’s like a quick dry fabric. While they don’t really fit the purposes of this thread as they are ”athleisure” they are very flattering on me, and are great for running errands, etc. I especially love them for travelling because they are so comfortable. I have them in both black and birch gray.

interesting - I was just reading the reviews and several people mentioned they were too long on them at 5’4” which I thought was odd because I’m 5’3” and mine fit fine (I do not have long legs). I looked up my order from earlier this year and mine are ”petites” but apparently they only have the regular length available now.

https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=210531092&pcid=999&vid=1&searchText=Trekkie#pdp-page-content

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

I agree, 4kids, about the Athleta hiking pants. They seem to have re-designed them some since I bought mine and a pair for my very petite DGD (I bought her a pair of 2 petite for some AT hiking). I wear mind around town for errands too.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

This was a new one for me -- an oxford shirt in a knit. I bought it when we went to the LL Bean outlet last week after a Casco Bay hike, and f course they have all the other outlets too, incl RL.

So comfy, i may go back and buy the pink.

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

I have had knit button downs from jiill (though not sure where they are today.. hmm) and have seen them at Eileen Fisher. I'll checkout LLBean.. i don't really wear them but i think they'd make a nice gift.

I also looked at the pants at Athleta but I am not in the market just yet. I did want to point out that while *my* purchases were casual, there are some more "in between" items.. including both merino and cashmere sweaters. I am going to try their turtlenecks with my next order.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Boden has a knit button down too.

Continuing my shopping binge, I bought this kinda goofy sweater from Loft on sale. I love it! Very soft and cozy.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

I don't believe I've seen a knit button-down/oxford. Then again, I might not notice as that style is not something I would wear.

I don't know why all the sales this past week or so?! I mentioned above two items at Old Navy; I don't remember the percentage off but I then got an additional 15% off and free shipping. I bought a pair of pants 30% off I think and then today I bought a tunic top in a gorgeous shade of deep green for 60% off. I do need a couple pairs of pants in basic colors (navy and maybe an ivory) a scarf for a particular outfit and a necklace for above tunic top. Also a tee to go under a kimono/duster type jacket. Did I look/find any of that at the amazing sale prices??? Oh no, just things that caught my eye.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

I have a number of button downs but I so seldom wear them...I seem to like the comfort of the knit pullovers so much that the shirts just hang in the closet.

• jojoco
    2 years ago

Oh, you enablers! Just ordered this from The Loft:

• Jilly
    2 years ago

I found a couple of good deals today at TJ Maxx. My DD and I stopped in looking for a tea pot, ended up finding clothes and a very cute spoon rest (for her apt).

I like things like this that can go casual or a bit dressier …

Long sweater. Perfect for slightly cool nights, not too heavy and hot at all —

Nine West Poncho (or whatever they’re called now) —

The material on each is super soft, and cost of both was under $50.

The spoon rest. $4.99 —

• bbstx
    2 years ago

The blue chambray tunic shirt arrived from J Crew earlier this week. I used their “Find Your True Fit” questionnaire. It works! It called for a size smaller than I would have bought. When the shirt came, the fit was perfect!

Up thread, y’all had me so confused. When I saw ”button-down shirt” I was looking for a shirt with a collar that buttoned down. I finally realized what y’all are calling a ”button-down” I call a ”button-up.” Pesky prepositions!

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

Glad there are so many wins in this thread!

Jinx, i have a sweater similar to the top one -- it is a Ralph Lauren and a billion years old. It is truly so adaptable. Great find!

bbstx.. I never heard of a button UP.. so i am guessing it might be a regional thing?

• bbstx
    2 years ago

“A button up shirt refers to any shirt that buttons all the way up the front. A button down shirt means any button up shirt with a collar that can be buttoned down.” Not that Buffalo Jackson is the final word. And it might be regional. They are out of NC. Although it might be English. Or West Coast. Who knew!?!?! All I know is when I went with nephew to help him buy interview clothes, the gentleman at the men’s store told me that button-downs are NOT dress shirts. That came as a shock to DH whose only dress shirt that wasn’t a button down was his tuxedo shirt.

ETA: I hope that doesn’t sound snarky. I didn’t mean for it to be. I just fell down a rabbit hole and wanted to share my new-found knowledge of men’s shirts. 😂

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

I used it incorrectly above as I usually say button down for a collared shirts with buttons on the collar. The shirts that button up the front I call button front. Button up is something we do to our lips to keep quiet about something. But IIRC the last time this came up, button up seems to refer to shirts with buttons down the front.

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

Interesting! Of course, i was referring to women's shirts-- but even still, I never heard "button up" used for mens shirts either. Might be regional.. might be i just never heard the term (though i do have brothers, bfs etc).

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Yes, I always think of the term "buttoned down" to mean casual, when talking of apparel, or not.

My button down knit oxford shown above is from Ralph Lauren, not LL Bean. We were in Freeport and LLB's HQ and they have all the outlets there.

I had an event last weekend for out of doors, and I wanted something with layers. I had the blue shirt, but I bought the navy vest and blackwatch plaid shawl shown below. The vest was lined with a fairly large navy and white gingham, visible if you positioned the collar. I was happy with the look and all set.

Then we got 78 degree weather and sun. No way I would want to wear all that stuff or even just carry it! Back to square one.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

We were having lunch in Portland so I ran into Anthro and grabbed this shirt and some cute earrings (I didn't have a lot of clothes in Maine since I had taken my summer stuff back home for the most part). The elaborate shoulder treatment works well to balance err... generous hips, I think.

This led to the next problem. I didn't have a summer purse with me. Ran out to the Coach outlet and picked up this cute purse. I know not everyone likes logos but I do - especially in this kind of a graphic format. And even tho I am not usually a big fan of Coach I saw a lot I liked there. Question -- it is not as white as the website shows, more of a cream (see second pic) in a pebbled finish. So, is it "polyseasonal", do you think?

• Anne
    2 years ago

I as a rule dont ”wear” anything with a logo but it is a nice baf

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

Thanks for letting us know the button down is from RL. I did look on LL Bean and did not find it.

I love the plaid wrap-- and really the whole outfit! A great look I am sure you can wear soon!

Also love the anthro top. I had some from RL (purchased maybe 8-10 yr ago?) that I just loved! The fabric was a heavier knit with a similar large scale floppy ruffle but not the puffy shoulders. I think the ruffle helped balance ample hips .. I thought it was a casual but feminine and sexy look. I stained the ivory one :( but I still have the black. It was such a favorite that I intermittently look for it on poshmark and ebay.

I do still like my coach bags-- even though I know they are not "in" anymore. The ones I am carrying now are just so functional for me-- big and crossbody. I can carry folders, ipad, bottle of water. They really work well for me.

Is that the chalk color? I DO think it can go into fall but i am not sure I'd use it in winter-- but that may be because i just don't tend to wear winter whites.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Mtn, haha, we were in Portland last weekend too! Would have been funny to run into you, as I was shopping too. I found a shop called Suger that had the softest cotton clothing… and a great salesperson…I ended up buying two cardigans.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Isn't it too late in the year for a "summer" purse? I like the shape of the bag, and I will sometimes go with a very small logo/name (on a purse, never clothing), but definitely not a large one.

You didn't sound snarky @bbstx! I never use the term "button-UP" but a "button-DOWN" to me means the collar buttons onto the shirt.

• salonva
    2 years ago

I so wish I had more motivation and luck. I am trying to just get some fresh things, preferably a step up from sweats and ath-leisure, but would even be happy to refresh my lazy every day stuff. I have been looking around and so far my big purchase and only purchase has been a lilac zipper hoodie. This was from BJ's. My usual go to is Costco.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Tina, The thing was it was a hot day, very sunny, almost 80, and so my fall getup seemed weird and would have been too hot. Sometimes when we have an Indian summer day, I just ignore the Indian part.

I figured I'd use the purse for that event (the one I had was all wrong) but then I find myself really liking it. I was asking if people would wear off-white bags in winter, but now that I have looked it up I've seen lots of great examples. The creamy color looks really nice against blacks or dark browns.

• bbstx
    2 years ago

Salonva, for ”lazy, every day stuff” check out the starfish line at Land’s End. They are very comfortable and wash up well. There are several leg widths. I prefer the ”slim leg” version, although I also have leggings. FWIW, I never put mine in the dryer.

• deegw
    2 years ago

For the people who switch bags often, how do you manage your "stuff"? I don't have a large, crammed bag but when I used to switch I invariably left behind something I didn't think I would need but actually missed.

Does every purse in your closet have reading glasses, sunglasses, lip balm, tissues, etc.? Do you use an inner purse that you move from bag to bag? Or do you have an organization gene that I seem to lack?

• bbstx
    2 years ago

I bought an organizer for my Longchamps le pliage. I loved how organized it kept everything and it was moveable from large purse to large purse. However, it add a full pound to the weight of my bag so I stopped using it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

My makeup (incl lipbalm) is in a makeup kit. Tissues are in the car as are masks, pen, paper. Sunglasses are usually on my head when I go out. Switching is good because it also means you are cleaning out your purse --- i hate all those darn receipts.

All i have in purse is a wallet, cosmetic bag, small hairbrush and my phone. Not a lot.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    2 years ago

I have everything in two small bags and a sunglass case and a wallet so it's easy to grab it all

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Yes, Sue, they sell Suger a number of places in Maine. I love their fabrics but the style is too shapeless for me; always looks a lot better on the models and just like fabric on me, alas. I like shopping in Portland, almost as much as eating in Portland.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

@mtnrdredux_gw Gotcha! In answer to your question, I don't do off-white/cream bags in fall/winter. It's really not a color I'm fond of for a bag. I do have a lightish taupe-brown that I sometimes carry.

@bbstx I love the cropped starfish pants and wear them all spring/summer and am still wearing them here until we cool down. They are so comfortable! I have some of the slim legs too and I have no problem putting mine in the dryer. Some of the cropped pants I have had several years.

@deegw I do like to change out my bags but I don't carry large bags, nor do I carry alot in my bags. Wallet, make-up bag and matching smaller bag, phone. Sunglasses are in my car, unless I'm at some outside event. If that's the case, I try to not carry a purse. The smaller zip up bag has pen, tylenol, tissues,etc. My sunglasses can go in there if needed. Makeup bag has concealer, lipstick and mirror. We have a package of masks in the car, but I keep one in my purse too.

I can still remember going to the doctor with my mom - who was complaining of pain in her shoulder. The doctor walked over to where her purse sat, put it on his shoulder. He shook his head and told her "that's your problem". Mom carried EVERYTHING in her purse!

Have a great day ladies and I hope you too are having beautiful fall weather. Time to get outside!!

• jojoco
    2 years ago

Mtn, your bag is winter white. It’s a thing and perfectly acceptable past labor day Im told.

• mojomom
    2 years ago

I pretty much have uniforms for most seasons and live in a casual area. Sweaters and jeans are year round, very light weight breathable sweaters in the summer, heavier cotton knits or blends in the fall and add cashmere or merino in the winter. Leggings are also a staple as are fleece tops and tees, Lately, I have been stalked by Jenni Kane sweaters on social media, at first I resisted because they are at a fairly high price point to buy sight unseen, but I finally ended up buying two and i am very glad i did.

In about the last 10 days a new brand to me — ALP n Rock — has been haunting me on media. This week I was killing time downtown and stopped in a nice home decorating shop that also a a boutique section. Not only did they have the sweaters but also had a very few jeans on sale. They didn’t have my size in the color of sweater I wanted, but they did have a small in black so I could try on for size (reviews said they tend to run large) and from trying on the small, I was comfortable ordering an extra small. But the best deal was they had a pair of jeans in the style I like for winter and fall (skinny so i can tuck into boots) in my size at half price! Score!

I do need some dressier black pants, but will be in Denver in a few weeks and will see what I can find, probably at the Eileen Fisher shop.

• bbstx
    2 years ago

Someone else calls it a “button up.” I don’t feel so alone any more. 😂

• Anne
    2 years ago

I bought a bag organizer from Amazon that will fit most of my bags. i can just swap it over. I always carry abig tote with a small wallet with strap to run into the store unless I go to a cocktail event.

I could survive a while from what is in my bag….or at least die with my makeup on point!