SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teddyneedshelp

Help with a floorplan

Teddy S
2 years ago

https://floorplanner.com/projects/108513315/editor?token=eyJhbGciOiJFUzI1NiJ9.eyJhY3Rpb24iOiJtYW5hZ2UiLCJtb2RlbCI6IlByb2plY3QiLCJpZCI6MTA4NTEzMzE1LCJpYXQiOjE2MzI1MzYyMjQsImV4cCI6MTYzMzc0NTgyNH0.vVUwiJIjBfQhiBKKgx5P2i9lpa_gQuvkj6AuK-NSXUVW9nM3oUJY0dKqRVeiJiBXWOUAM0RGeSXusS_PBGQxvg

I want to completely redesign the space linked above. I did my best to recreate the current space in FloorPlanner. I'd like a much more open space, preferably with a kitchen island. I'm just having a really tough time figuring out which walls to take down, how to lay out the new kitchen, how to use the space in front of this very awkwardly placed fireplace, etc. This fireplace has a TV already mounted above the mantle, so it would be nice to have enough room to have a couch that's far enough back so that we're not looking up at the TV, but fitting that and an island has been difficult. Any ideas are welcome.

The house is a ranch, so there's not much above this that we need to support. The unmarked room is the foyer. The living room on the left is staying as is. It's a nice projector room. The area above the "fence" in the projector room is actually stairs going down to the basement. The hallway going to the right leads to the bedrooms. The "horizontal" wall in the middle between the hallway and kitchen is a load bearing wall, so taking it down will cost a bit more than any other wall, but I think would be worth it with a proper support beam, and again, it's a ranch, so we don't have to support a 2nd level. My dad is a construction worker and my brother a civil engineer and they both looked at it and said it wouldn't be a problem. I'm definitely willing to open the dining room up too with the right design. The foyer has a sloping, raised ceiling, so I'm not sure if a completely open design would work. It'd probably be fine with the headers, though?

Comments (6)