SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saypoint

Front entry design

I am working with a LA on designing front plantings for my new (old) house and we have a sketch that we are starting with. I did a rudimentary mockup with photoshop (my skills are not great) to get a feel for what it might look like, keeping in mind that not everything will be blooming at the same time and some of the plant sizes will be off.

The plan calls for a backdrop of PJM Rhodies on the left with dwarf Spirea and Lacecap Hydrangea in front, along with some space for perennials as I desire along some of the front edges. there was a plan for a lilac standard in the middle that I’m not keen on, and I would likely replace it with a birdbath or other feature as the area is large-ish.

The entry is flanked by Green Mountain Boxwoods. Again, I’m not a fan of conical evergreens beside an entry, especially this one, which is not symmetrical to begin with.

To the right is a backdrop of Common Boxwood, two groupings of the same Spirea, a couple of Lacecap Hydrangeas and a Hawthorne tree off the corner to hide a utility area on the side of the house. At the end of the walk, which runs from left to right, the plan calls for a green japanese maple, which I am not a fan of. I feel it’s too ”modern” looking for my colonial setting and not my favorite plant to begin with. The reasoning behind it was to have something there to draw visitors down the walk toward the entry from the driveway. I can’t think of what I’d replace it with.

Here’s the mockup of the planting, without the lilac standard.

I thought it might work to replace the pointy boxwoods with Andromeda or something evergreen but ”soft”. Or maybe more Hydrangea, which I love, even if they are bare in the winter. To add, I don’t usually plant any annuals in the ground, but might use a few containers on the steps or something. or I might try it for a change.

Am I on the right track here? This is going to involve replacing the walk, doing some drainage work, and starting from scratch with the plantings, so it will be expensive and I don’t want to make any big mistakes. Any suggestions welcome. thanks.

Comments (12)