SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Brainstorming ideas for 90th birthday during pandemic

l pinkmountain
2 years ago

Dad is turning 90 in 3 weeks. I don't want to do anything elaborate, but I would like to help him celebrate this milestone. He's lost a lot of friends and his wife, so he's not feeling very celebratory. He said he would be OK with an open house afternoon birthday. I want to KEEP IT SIMPLE. I'm just wondering how to invite people, how to handle the mask issue (he's vaccinated and hard of hearing, so would be good if folks who were vaccinated could go without masks), but we live in one of the highest spreading places in the state and therefore pretty high overall. I'm assuming most folks I would invite would be vaccinated but its considered offensive and rude to ask around here and the last thing I want to do is have any issues or problems at a 90th birthday. I'd hope that most would use common sense when attending a party, but who knows these days. If Dad was younger I'd just say everyone wear masks so I wouldn't have to deal with it, but the masks stress him out . . . Too cold for an outdoor gig but I doubt the house will get very crowded, not that many folks around left to celebrate with him. Open house means staggered visits.

Also wondering what kinds of fun thing might be good to do. I already threw him a surprise 70th and gave him an album of photos, so not sure about that. He might appreciate a Zoom call, he's never done one like that before. Maybe I could organize a family Zoom, that might be fun . . . if my cousins would agree.

I don't really want to do a whole big thing, just figure out how to gather some of his friends together that he would enjoy seeing. Most of his best ones are gone, and the ones left don't like to get out a lot. It's a hassle when you are hard of hearing, creaky joints, get tired easily.

Another thought I had was to put the word out and hope some folks might send cards. I have done that for the parents of some of my friends, sent birthday cards. I treasure the ones left.

Has anyone done anything for a parent's 90th that has gone over well? Ideas welcome.

For the menu, I was just thinking cupcakes, pecan pie bars (one of his favorites) cheese and crackers, hot cider and coffee. Maybe a veggie platter with ranch dip in little paper cups. And oddly, thinking about getting out Mom's old copper chafing dish and making a recipe she posted in a 1961 community cookbook for sweet and sour cocktail wieners. I do not recall her ever even making such a thing, but they are no trouble, just sausages, currant jelly and mustard, that's the recipe. I think they were more inspirational than actual for my Mom. Although who knows, maybe they had a lot of parties when I was a kid that I don't remember, or she had them at a party . . . being vegetarian they aren't really my kind of thing . . . My Dad would like them though, he loves anything sweet and sour. All this food is no trouble and any leftovers could be frozen or with the veggies, I'd make soup, so it all the time with whatever veggies are left in the fridge at the end of the week. I really should just do one of the desserts, probably the cupcakes but I prefer the pecan pie bars. Just don't seem very "birthday" like as much as the cupcakes.

Comments (25)

Sponsored