SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
rosecanadian

Fall Into Spring Seasonal Thread

rosecanadian
last month
last modified: last month

Well, I thought the title "Fall Into Spring" was appropriate since we have people experiencing fall and spring here on the forum. :) :)

Fall Into Spring, we're doing our thing.

Good-bye and hello to gardens of bling.

Orange Leaves and Bottlebrush at the same time

Northern leaves Southern and steps into rime.

Fall into Spring, Spring into Fall

We're here together, friendship to all

Lauriza Streptocarpus

Mom's Plant - Streptocarpus

Comments (688)

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    2 days ago

Magpie, while I'm thinking about it, we have had some of our best family vacations in your state at Lost Valley Ranch in the Rockies. We've gone as a family, with friends, and taken our kids' friends. It's a combination working and guest ranch. Our son spent one year working there before college. One of the best years of his life.

rosecanadian thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

@Diane Brakefield I don't think Kitty is in the city, I think she's upstate. But I don't know for sure.

I'm at 39.3845° N

@flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA I don't know about Joey's season being longer than yours. I mean maybe, but idk. Latitude isn't the end all be all of determining growing season. I know altitude has plenty to do with it too, because it can make the temperature drops happen much faster. I'm sure many factors matter. Does anyone know where in WY Joey lives?

rosecanadian thanked Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
  • Related Discussions

FALL is upon us... "seasonal thread"...

Q

Comments (402)
    Flowers, I've had Russian sage in back in crucial spots, but I usually combine it with boxwood and lavender, along with butterfly bush and four o'clocks, slightly toxic like morning glories, to deer. None of this is much deterrence, though I think deer hate boxwood the most of all. It smells like cat pee. The deer here (mule deer) seem to be only interested in roses and occasionally tomatoes. They go for the blooms, buds, and growing tips of the rose. For some reason, they went beyond this typical damage when it came to Eglantyne, and they reduced her size a bit, and left a half dozen leaves on the poor rose. Any other flowering plant or shrub they don't seem to care about with two exceptions: a certain dianthus (Raspberry Surprise) that they wouldn't leave alone, and pumpkins, which they tried to bite. Mainly they just marked up the pumpkins with their teeth. I suppose if I had a lot of hosta and tulips they would destroy those. Thanks for your nice comments on Eglantyne. I'm not doing right by her, leaving her out in back to the deer. Noseo, your Russian sage is quite gorgeous. And you have the perfect home style for it and lavender. I just don't have any room anymore for R sage or lavender, so they end up down the slope. This helps with soil erosion, plus the deer, but it's a rip roaring mess out there on the slope. When I see what you have done with your sage and lavender, I am so jealous. I do have some roses blooming, but nothing like a flush, except for Julia Child, perhaps. It warmed up several days ago, and voila new buds and a few new roses. This will all end on Nov 6--the last day for photosynthesis here. After that, the sun will not be shining long or strong enough to promote new growth. Flowers is even farther north than I am, so her last day is a little earlier. You are south of us, so you have more good days left. Now I am jealous of you! Thanks, Sheila and Jim. Sheila, I'll bet you still have some wonderful R sage and lavender growing. Diane
    ...See More

FALL is upon us... "seasonal thread"... PART 2

Q

Comments (197)
    Diane, Thank you for your nice comment. I love love the English language ( all languages really). It has been such a wonderful thing to be able to learn to communicate in English. I am going to take some time to post today as I am just on call at work and studying coagulation. It is good to have some days to just seat and catch up with my studies. I have heard path boards are brutal. My parents came to the US when I was 7. Since the political climate in Cuba is so tense it took several years for the legal paperwork to go through, and I was able to come here to start high school at 15. It sure was a shock when a week later my mom dropped me off at a over 3k student school in Miami, Florida. I still remember my first classroom number (245), because I had to ask a girl on the hallway how to get there. Of course I found one of the very few kids in the school who wasn’t bilingual so she couldn’t understand me. I knew how to count to 10 so I tried again ( two, four, fife “with an f” ;) and she kindly showed me the way. Those were interesting times to say the least. My mom who was a hairstylist at the time, drove me to school every day, then went to work until 2. Then took me home and returned to work.This is some feat in Miami traffic. My dad took care of taking me to Saturdays extra English and reading lessons as well. My parents wanted me to attend a good school with lots of advanced classes, and they made a huge sacrifice so I could have all the opportunities only this country offers. I am so grateful to them for supporting me. I feel so bad about your poor little Dianela now. I hope she ended up doing well in school even after all of those set backs. Having parents that care is such a critical thing for children of any age. I am glad she had your daughter as a friend to positively influence her. I understand you so much, as a young 20 something my friends would call me at 11pm when they were heading to the nightclubs in Miami and be surprised I was at the cadaver lab studying. They didn’t understand if I wanted to pass those Monday exams I couldn’t spend the weekend dancing. Well that was a very long winded post to answer your question lol. Yes I lived in Florida Miami and Fortmyers until I went to TN for medical school. Met my now husband during med school and it seems North Alabama will be our forever home. I am enjoying learning all the southern ways now. Thank you for telling me about the manure. I am going to try and spread some over the winter in my beds. That will make me feel like I am doing something to prepare for next spring. I wish we were closer so I could go help you with yours and see your garden in person.
    ...See More

FALL is upon us... "seasonal thread"... PART 3

Q

Comments (179)
    Nice pic titian1! It snowed a bit here last night...windy and cold today...Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Nanadoll, I hope your doing ok... Please let us know when you get the chance... The Bloomstrucks have been crushed with snow & ice...
    ...See More

FALL is here! Seasonal thread part 1

Q

Comments (157)
    Diane, looks like Houzz let Joey post a pic, but I'll try, too. These are for testing purposes only because you've seen them. We may lose the red maple. It's a mere shadow of itself this year. The arborist said he doesn't think it's pests or diseased, and we should wait a year before having it removed. I would miss it as it's the better of the two, but, on the other hand, removal would make it possible to grow something in the front. I love it in the winter the most. Joey, that's not just a dusting! That's a good snowfall. Do you do anything to protect your roses? Geeze, April seems so far away. I'm adding the Queen to my spring list. I'd never given it a thought until I saw yours and read your recommendation. Can't pass up on a rose that beautiful and that hardy. Kristine, I've had roses do that because of snow, never rain. I'm so sorry. Beverly was one of your most gorgeous, but Marc C will be a beautiful replacement.
    ...See More
  • Diane Brakefield
    2 days ago

Flowers, I'm glad you never tire of it, because if I don't shut up about latitude, all of you will ban me from this thread. If you happen to have a globe, you can more easily see why a flat map is distorted, and that it doesn't seem intuitive that, for instance, Boise is just as far north as Toronto. My mother was a teacher and very precise about lots of things, and when I disputed her, as a grade school student, about Idaho being as far north as Maine, she put me in my place. So thanks for being such a good sport about this. Of course, there are many factors that will make one area much colder than another, even though they are south of us. My daughter and son in law returned from a trip to Minnesota a short while ago, and Samantha mentioned that we were farther along in our fall colors and leaf drop than Minnesota was. Yet, Duluth, MN, is one of the coldest towns in the US in any given winter. Now let me look up Duluth's latitude. Diane

rosecanadian thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Diane Brakefield
    2 days ago

Magpie, Kitty is upstate in Geneva, NY, I believe. Geneva's latitude is 42.9 degrees north, farther south than Boise. I just mentioned NYC because they can have some snowy cold winters, yet be quite south. I went to school for a while in upstate NY at Syracuse. Really nasty winters there. Diane

2 days ago

I imagine elevation plays a part, too. And, being surrounded by lakes changes things, as well. I think the subject is very interesting. As a gardener, I should have paid more attention to things like this because we could have landed anywhere, it didn't have to be here, although, in other ways, it's a great place to live.

• Melodye Sartori zone 10a Melbourne
    2 days ago

Carol, Mitsouko is moderately fragrant according to HMF, Fruity, raspberry raspberry, spicy and violet. I do not find it that strong, and I miss the raspberry, but the rest is there., By the way, I’ve discovered what my Bella Rosa perfume reminds me of, Crimson Glory I have several buds and flowers on my desk and the fragrance justs wafts over. I moved my mingy little CG which did nothing much for several years, into the front garden, and it suddenly threw out a 7’ cane with lots of buds. I had to cut it back the other day because it bloocked the Gas Meter Reader. Humph! So I managed to save most of the buds and flowers.But CG is back to being a mingy little thing. I hope it keeps putting out larger canes. just not that big.

Oursteelers, Crimson Glory is just the rose for you.Dark red and fragrant. If you do not mind the odd 7’cane :-)))

Magpie, just google the falcons of 367 CollinsSt Melbourne. The article has short videos. and there are some on you-tube as well, I think there is a clutch of 3 or 4 eggs this year. We must hope they all make it. There is a policy of no intervention. They are just observed by experts.. I do not think they band the chicks any more, either. Beefy 409 has some you-tube vids as well, I believe. The ravens he showed yesterday were beautiful, so sleek and shiny. .

kristine I love your morning sky. Those birds look very interesting but I would not want to tangle with one. There are pelicans in the River Murray towns which chase tourists for food scraps, just like seagulls do. Very scary. As my Mum used to recite; Did you ever hear tell of the Pelican? His beak can hpld more than his belly can! 😀

Ashley, I love your cutting garden, I want one too. Your ? rose looks like Sweet Juliet or Jayne Austin, very similar roses, lovely. I have Bolero on my Wait for release list. Life of the Party resembles Mitsouko when it is fully open

Kitty, The Aged Homecare Package allows me to have a gardener once a week to get things back under conirol, then every 2-3 weeks to mow and maintain. I prefer to do most things myself, I know where Ive got things planted and I can weed witthout losing a treasure. But I do appreciate the help. I get tired. I doubt I could brickedge the garden beds or lay paths like I did 5 years ago so it is good that I did those things at that time. The gardener will be able to use the gas weedeater to clear the paths and driveway without poison, it is too heavy for me to manage now, so I count my blessings and give thanks.

Flowers, I wish that my roses would lose their leaves. It would make pruning so much easier and quicker, if I did not have to manually strip the leaves. I always miss some and go nuts when I see them among new growth looking so old and ratty….. Melodye

rosecanadian thanked Melodye Sartori zone 10a Melbourne
  • oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 days ago

Melodye, I will have to look into Crimson Glory-thank you. I’ve never done red before so this is all new to me.

I love the latitude talk, so interesting to me.

It does explain why some of you still have bloom after bloom but even though I’m in a mild location my garden is done. Too cold and wet, what buds there are can’t open.

Honestly I’m okay with that. There is SO much leaf work to do right now that is all I can think about.

rosecanadian thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • Diane Brakefield
    2 days ago

Oursteelers, I'm glad the latitude talk wasn't too boring. If you're near Seattle or thereabouts, you are very far north. Places like Victoria and Vancouver, BC are really north but zone 8 like you, and seems so weird, I know.

Melodye, that's so interesting about having a gardener as part of home heath care. But you probably prepaid for it. I thoroughly approve of all the benefits you can get, but I was just reading a few days ago that Australia has the second highest taxes in the world behind Sweden. In this country, the rich aren't taxed enough--they paid way more in taxes in the 50s-60s than now, and so the awful gap between the wealthiest few who control about 40% of US wealth, and the middle class just gets worse by the year. Here I am again, on my soapbox.... I have never heard of the perfume Bella Rosa. Does it smell like real roses? It seems like none of the so called "rose" scented perfumes smell anything like a rose. I need to check Bella Rosa out. I've enjoyed your latest photos of roses, the blackbird, and the gorgeous path you made. For years I made fun of the American robin's scientific name, Turdus migratorius. Then I learned that Turdus means thrush, which our robins are. Your blackbird must be a thrush, too. We get (not so much anymore) the Red Winged Blackbird here. The males are particularly beautiful in spring, and very aggressive, flying at great speed in competitive pairs at times. The world's fastest plane is The Blackbird. I'll go into this more later, but Boise is not far from the World's Center for Birds of Prey. We have, or had, peregrines nesting in one of the downtown buildings year after year. There's a video camera recording the birds which I've viewed a time or two.

Well, I picked a nice plonk yesterday and took photos. The Prince is currently about the blackest red you can find, so he, Wild Blue Yonder, and Rouge Royale made up the bouquet. I got busy this evening and didn't get end of season photos of Augusta Louise. She's in fall colors, which are not my favorite, but the blooms are enormous--6-7 inches in diameter. Tomorrow starts a week of rain, accompanied by wind. This will wreck everything, so not happy about that, but we really need the rain. Diane

Some planks below from spring/early summer.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 days ago

• Diane Brakefield
    2 days ago

• titian1 10b Sydney
    2 days ago

Melodye, I googled 367 Collins St., and love it. Thanks! Over 600 people were watching as I was - live cam. The babies are so fluffy. You might know, but in the UK a number of years ago, they had a camera in an urban fox's den that was very popular. Crimson Glory is a rose I used to fantasise about having - such a wonderful colour - and fragrant. I'm amazed you had 300 roses - and probably not much less than that now. I have less than 20!

My 'home help' put the pavers in place today. They've got to be dug in yet, but it's looking good. My son is keen to fence that whole area of garden off from the dogs to create a sanctuary for native birds and animals. It's a thrill to me to see how interested he's become.

rosecanadian thanked titian1 10b Sydney
    2 days ago
    last modified: yesterday

My daughter apologises for the poor quality of the photos,she took of a pair of Rainbow Lorikeets down the back this am.

She says she heard a Kookaburra laughing at the Reserve when she was walking Harry early, the first for ages. She also saw a Rainbow -Bee-eater but was too slow to get a photo. you can google it. There are lots of Kangaroos down there as well, and Bunnies. The Rangers have put up the snake warning signs too which means there have been sightings.uuggh!

Kitty, I forgot to mention we are on a suburban block, rather large by today's standards it is nearly a quarter acre. It is a funny shape, because we are at the rounded top end of a court. it is sort of like a crooked coffin but with a pointed top. We have a road directly behind us at an angle along one side of the point and 3 neighbouring blocks along the opposite side and one block on the remaining side.

Diane, Thanks for the latitude info. I wasn’t very good in geography class when that was part of the lesson. My kids tell me I can be very pendantic about some things, when I am interested. But I liked researching things as a child and it got to be a habit.. I would have loved google then, instead of lugging those huge volumes of Encyclopedia Brittanica around at the library. probably more accurate than Wikipedia though.

Melodye edited to add photo

• sara_ann-z6bok
    yesterday

So many gorgeous pictures everyone! Melodye you have some beautiful roses and garden, amazing that you have 300! I love the color of your Reine des Violettes! I had one really good year with that one, I think in 2014. Hasn’t done that great since!

Kristine, adorable picture of Azalea, she’s such a cutie! Your sunrise pictures are amazingly beautiful!

Nothing for me to brag about as far as blooms right now, but here is one of my favorite pictures of Poseidon, I think from 2020.

Kathleen Harrop, one of my favorites!

Orchid Romance was so tiny the yeár I planted it!

rosecanadian thanked sara_ann-z6bok
    yesterday

Oursteelers, do you rake leaves as soon as they fall, or leave them to look beautiful on the ground? I love the look of colorful leaves on the ground, but Mr. W mows them up and with the shredding, they become mulch for the lilacs, and the chickens love a fresh layer in the pen. He says if they mat down on the grass, it will kill it. So much for esthetics. He is the practical one.

Diane, I love all those colors on your roses. Our week of rain starts tomorrow, too. Grandson arrives tomorrow. We've had bad timing this year.

Trish, how wonderful your son is such a big help in the garden, and best of all, he's enjoying it. It's so satisfying when our kids show an interest. It's amazing how strong they are and can lift and carry things I can't even get onto the dolly.

Melodye, your daughter has nothing to apologize for!!! Those are fabulous photos. You have amazing birds in Australia. Most are so colorful. Love the lacy look of the foliage. Watch those snakes! My grand puppy was bitten by a rattlesnake on a walk in a neighborhood - not a rural area - and had a terrible time. Couldn't administer the anti venom until they got her blood pressure and other vitals back to normal. The snake was in some rosemary she stuck her nose into. Poor baby had a very swollen nose for awhile.

yesterday

Trish, I’m glad your son is taking such an interest in your garden and wild life. I have been following Robert E Fuller on facebook He is a conservationist and nature artist farmer in Wales I think . He has set up nesting boxes with cameras for his local birds … owls at present Its fascinating to watch them. There were falcons a couple of months ago. So many people do follow and watch. I have told my family I would like a pair of binoculars so I can see our birds clearly. If I lived in the UK I would be a ”twitcher.’

Diane, those plonks are absolutely gorgeous. It is drizzly at the moment here;. Where is our warmer sunny weather?

We used to get on that soapbox too, but now we are reaping the rewards for all the taxes we paid. Health care is another big gripe for a lot of people. But when I had my stroke I was admitted as a public patient and got the same care as a private patient. We do have private medical insurance, so I chose to use it to help the hospital. I got a letter from the insurer saying they had paid out nearly $20000 dollars on my behalf. When I think of the thousands we have paid in to them over 50 years I think that I did the correct thing. But the public hospitals do provide urgent treatment without cost to the patient because of Medicare which comes from a special levy added on to our taxes. So looking at the costs involved it is worth it. Elective surgery is a bugbear, because in the public system, there are waiting lists, which is why private insurance is also useful.

Off my soapbox… Melodye

• sara_ann-z6bok
    yesterday

Diane, i didn’t see your beautiful arrangements above before my previous post, they’re very lovely!

• titian1 10b Sydney
    yesterday

Ditto, Diane! And i have no problem with you and soapboxes.

Melodye, I'll have a look at Robert E Fuller too. Thanks.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    yesterday

sara_ann, beautiful bush shots. I hope you've put them on HMF. There are far too few bush shots on there. (Here that, Diane and flowers?!) I had Zepherine Drouhin briefly (BS magnet here), and adored the bloom and the fragrance, so I imagine I would love your Kathleen Harrop.

Aloha, new this year, has produced a bloom. I'll take a photo tomorrow morning. The colour really surprised me. I love it.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    yesterday

Just nipped down.

Aloha

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    yesterday

I was sent a Kathleen Harrop instead of a Tea rose starting with K I wanted (Kaiserin Freidrich), Merlena, and it is very pretty. I like it better than ZD. Yours is lovely.

rosecanadian thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    yesterday

Sara-ann, your Poseidon is beautiful I think it is te same rose as my Npvalis, which is not very prolific,too shaded, needs moving ASAP. Kathleen Harrop is one I’ve never grown. Orchid Romance is as beautiful as its name, not here yet

Flowers, oh,poor puppy. I've seen dogs bitten by our brown snakes, and the effort needed to stabilize them, but a rattler. I’m terrified on the other side of the world. Yes the Eucalypts have good foliage at present we’ve had lots of rain. They are flowering at present which is why the Lorikeets have arrived. The Fruit bats are back I heard them last night in the neighbour’s yard and the possums have been snarling at each other during the night. Isn’t wildlife wonderful? We have to fish our neighbours leaves out of the pool and straight into the recycling bin to go to the council recycling centre. they make the compost and sell it back to whoeve wants it.….

Oursteelers , Oklahoma, Papa Meilland, Charles Mallerin Chrysler Imperial, just a few that come to mind. Mr Limcoln isn’t one of my favourites, Often opens a rusty looking purple, here.

Melodye

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    yesterday

Thanks Melodye-the closer we get to winter the closer I get to research time. I LOVE that part of gardening!

Flowers, I try to get to the big leaf maples right away. They are so big they just mat together and create a perfect haven for slugs and I can’t have that. There are so many of them I have two mulchers plus we use the lawnmower. Mostly they all go back to the flower beds but we always leave some on the grass.

The japanese maples are so much smaller and are so beautiful I let them go a couple weeks before I mess with them.

rosecanadian thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    yesterday

Kristine - lovely pictures!!! Your view is so pretty!! Thanks!! What a lot of work you're doing just so my curiosity can be satisfied. :) :) Thank you!! If they don't answer back...then that should be enough. :) :) Oh, you found the bird!!! I googled it and found a video of it calling...it's really loud and sounds a little like a rooster...with more "cha-cha-cha-ing. :) :) I also saw a blue one!! Really lovely!! I thought that with those long legs they might eat snakes...but they like berries and such. :) Thank you, Kristine!! I really enjoyed that!

Kitty - I must have missed that....Melodye has 300 roses?!!! Wow!! I can't even imagine!!! :) :) That many roses would be exhausting...but glorious!!

Ashley - thank you for the pictures! My favorite is Earth Angel!! Beautiful!!! Yes, you're getting some cooler weather, that's for sure. :) I'm glad you included pictures of your cutting garden. :) :)

Melodye - oh, Mitsouko does have fragrance. I can appreciate medium fragrance. :) Oooh!!! you have a perfume that smells like Crimson Glory??!!! WOW!!!!

Oh, I can't imagine pelicans chasing tourists for food!!! That would be scary!!! Paging Alfred Hitchcock!!

I really wish we had anything like the Aged Homecare gardening help!!! What a great idea!! :)

Diane - yup, I'm the winner of the dubious honor of living at the highest latitude. Boooo :) :) I didn't know that about Australia and it being the 2nd highest tax paying country in the world. Really? Your AL blooms are huge!!!!

I love bee eaters (not that they eat bees though)...I googled the rainbow bee eater...and they're sooo beautiful!! They look so clever too! I can't imagine having Rainbow Lorikeets in my backyard!! Seriously, every bird here is brown...except for the beautiful magpies.

Flowers - ahem...zone 3b. :) :) My roses are in the garage since we had some really cold nights and all of the buds were too soft to open.

Edmonton (3 hours north of Calgary) used to have (may still have) peregrine falcons nesting downtown. I grew up in Edmonton. I didn't realize they lived in Australia too!

Diane - oh my goodness!!!! Not only are your roses exquisite...but you have such lovely rose accoutrements!!! Your Evelyns are to die for!!!! :) :) :)

Trish - YES!!! Your son is really helping you and is getting into gardening. :) :) Score!! Oooh!!! I love your Aloha bloom...it reminds me of Alchymist. Gorgeous, gorgeous!!

Sara Ann - Holy Hannah!! Those are beautiful roses!!! And the bushes are stuffed with flowers!!! So many!! I think my favorite is your Poseidon...although it's a tough call. :) :)

Flowers - did your puppy have a fear of shrubbery after this?

yesterday

Trish I love your Aloha, It reminds me of why I put it back on my replacement list. It didn;t survive re-fencing. Those sunset colours are delightful.Papi Delbard gets that same look sometimes

Todays plonk. Crimson Glory eked out with Brindabella Bouquet CG has been plonked for a couple of days, BB is fresh

Oursteelers, I adore the colours of Japanese maples . If I want to grow them I’ll need to learn Bonsai.. Rsearch time is good fun. Melodye

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    yesterday

I've never heard of Brindabella Bouquet. It's lovely!! Such a beautiful soft pink. :)

• titian1 10b Sydney
    yesterday

Melodye, I've never tried any of the Brindabella roses. BB is gorgeous. How is it disease wise?

yesterday

Trish I’ve bought afew over the years. I find them excellent roses. They are bred to deal with the Quld climate, they do well down here

Brindabella Raspberry tiger is the only photo I can find. I think the rest were on the phone that Harry ate. I have B. Swirl a cream and pale salmon pink splash and stripeH/T, B. Flame a medium red H /T, almost the same as the above pic. and finally B. Swoon, which looks a little like ‘eyes for you’ medium mauve blue in summer, but darkens to a deepish purple in winter. That one is covered in buds at present so should open soon, and I will have pics to show what it is like. Swoon has always got buds and flowers even in winter, like Bouquet. I looked at the web-site the other day to see what there is coming up. some nice dark reds and more Tigers. so I think I might be placing an order for winter. They sell potted plants the rest of the year. RT and Swoon I bought potted, not cheap but I wanted to get them in place before the bare root season. Garden Express sells quite a number of Brindabella roses also. I got Swirl and Flame from there. Melodye

yesterday

I forgot to mention I went past the local florist the other day, she had bunches of peony buds, I was very tempted but they were $49 per bunch so, no thanks. Melodye

• sara_ann-z6bok
    yesterday

Thank you Trish, Sheila, Melodye, and Carol!

While I like them both, I do prefer KH over ZD, they are both fragrant, which I enjoy.

Sheila, I love your Tea Roses, they are lovely

Trish, lovely picture of your Aloha!

Melodye, yes Novalis and Poseidon are the same rose. Your Papi Delbard is beautiful!

Carol, Poseidon is one of my best roses, that’s why I have two of them.

I cut these flowers this morning

yesterday

Sara-ann, beautiful Zinnia and cosmos, lovely arrangement.I love the sort of scalloped look novalis gets on its petals. Herkules is one of my favourites too. I do not think it has been released in the US yet. it is a Kordes shrub rose with flowers that vary through white and shades uf lavender, sometimes cream with a hint of greyish brown. not much scent . I think it might proliferate in our unsettled weather, it is very ull petalledf. but come summer it will be OK.

Sheila, I looked up Kaiserin Freidrich, she would be on my waiting list,( I’m a sucker for teas), but like so many old and found roses, she hasn’t migrated over here. She reminds me of my late lamented Gloire de Dijon. I’ve tried growing that rose so many times and the longest one survived was 3 years. I had better luck with E. Veyrat Hermanos. ( similar colours )it was growing beautifully hiding my neighbours ugly brick garage wall. We had a strong northerly gale force wind that sheared of all the fasteners and as E. Veyrat fell he snapped off at the bud union. and none of the cuttings I took survived. I was really upset about that one. Another favourite is Souvenir d’Elise Vardon (now known as Mlle Franziska Kruger) which is about to open 2 buds, but it poured overnight so I don’t know if the flowers survived. As Ned Kelly so famously said ‘Such is Life!’ Melodye

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    yesterday

I love hearing your Tea news, Melodye. I too, love MFK here. I love her constant blooming, heat tolerance and beauty. I have no rose that blooms more constantly. My GdD has suffered this hot Summer. I hope it carries on. I might try E. Veyat Hermanos too. My having taken some trees out might allow a few more Teas to be planted. All my Teas are own root here. I'll have to look on the rosepetals and rosesunlimited websites.

This was the Fallish MFK flush. It is amazing in our heat this Summer.

rosecanadian thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    yesterday

Melodye - yeah, that sounds a bit expensive...but I'd have been very, very tempted. :) :)

I looked up Brindabella in hmf...Brindabella Burgundy Tiger is one I would buy in a heartbeat!! Brindabella Flair is so sweet looking!!

21 hours ago
    last modified: 21 hours ago

Oursteelers, the matting together is the reason my husband likes to get the leaves up as quickly as possible. He is particular about his lawn. We had two large maples in the front, so there were tons of leave. Now, with just one maple, the job isn't quite as hard.

Trish, is your Aloha a climber by any chance? Is the full name Aloha Hawaii? The color looks the same as the Aloha Hawaii I'm trying to grow. I am crazy about that color and how it looks like an old rose.

Carol, I don't think Siberia could be any colder than your zone. Good thing you're used to it. You have my undying admiration for trying to grow anything, especially roses. I'm sure Shelia can relate. Growing up in SoCal, this is about the most winter I can handle.

Sara Ann, I always love seeing your Poseidon and marvel at the size and number of blooms. Mine struggle. They're definitely trying to tell me something. I'll try something different next year.

Sheila. I'm at a loss. You know I love your teas. E. Veyrat Hermanos and Kaiserin Freidrich are two of my most favorites. I tried growing them, but, of course, it was silly. I could look at your teas all day.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    19 hours ago

Sara Ann - your lavender Zinnia is so beautiful!!! Lovely posey of flowers!! :) For sure, I can see why you have 2 Poseidons!

Sheila - goodness!!! Wow!!

Flowers - Yeah, I could stand for the weather here to get a little bit warmer. LOL I do like winter though.

18 hours ago

Flowers, forgive me answering for Trish, Yes our Aloha here is the climber Aloha Hawaii, Fabulous colours, It reminds me of Alchymist. Papi Delbard is a very similar rose also a climber, and I’ve found, a more reliable bloomer. but thy are both good roses.

Carol, Brindabella roses were bred to be disease free in Qld’s warm tropical climate. The humidity up there is a killer for roses. Burgundy Tiger is on my list as is Pastel Tiger.

Brindabella Swoon today. looking a little bedraggled, It rained heavily all night and pretty much all day today. the Blue Emotion is off my own root plant. The grafted one is just getting itself started

Sheila your MFK is stunningly gorgeous. I hope mine will look like that again one day. She was slashed within an inch of her life last year. The two buds I talked of yesterday were the first since then. I should have cut them yesterday, they had shattered when I went out after lunch. There are more to come though. It hasmbeen too cool for the colours to develop, she was still showing yellow flowers.

lacking MFK, we have Gold Topas, Tamora, and Blue Emotion. The BE open flower is the worse for wear, but the buds were nice. Harry ate the Mitsouko flower, hen I dropped it, so I’ll show an old photo instead

Mitsouko

Melodye

18 hours ago

Sheila, ypur MFK is breath takingly gorgeous. I can hardly wait for mine to look like that again. She was slashed within an inch of her life by a ’gardener’ last year. The two buds I wrote about yesterday had shattered when I went to cut them, sfter lunch. They were still yellow though. It has been too cool to develop the colours that come with hot weather.

Flowers, forgive me for jumping in for Trish. Aloha here is the climber Aloha Hawaii, fabulous colours. It reminds me of Alchymist. Papi Delbard is another similar climber, which I find a more reliable bloomer. They are both good roses.

Carol, Brindabella roses were bred to be disease free in Qld’s warm tropical climate The humidity is death to many regular roses there. So, they do well here in Vic.also NSW I believe. I think some of the HMF photos are from Sth. Aust and they do well there in drier heat.

Brindabella Swoon today, somewhat bedraggled from constant heavy rain for nearly 20 hours.

There is a Victorian breeder, Bruce Brundrett from an old family of rosarians, who is having a lot of success with his roses. I have one My Yellow. sorry, my photo is gone, but HMF has some good ones

LackingMFK, we have Gold Topas, Tamora and Blue Emotion. The open BE looks worse for wear, but the buds were nice. The BE sre from my own root plant. The grafted one is still getting into gear. Tamora needs more sun to develop her colour. There was a Mitsouko but Harry ate it when I dropped it, so Ill show an old photo instead.

Mitsouko

Melodye

• titian1 10b Sydney
    16 hours ago

Melodye, I love Harry! And you, for never getting mad at him! I love all Teas too, and I think I tried MFK - I have killed so many, or they have not liked it here. EVH is another I have lusted after. I don't know what to do with Aloha. She is presently in a bed with Mme Lombard and Renae, and definitely cannot stay there. She was supposed to go against the house, but my daughter persuaded me that a grevillea should go there, and as I'd previously had Westerland there, and removed it because it was a total dud, I agreed. I'm blowed if I can think of a suitable spot for Aloha, and I must find one because I am in love. It may well be that Papi is better, but I'll probably never know. I have been looking at the Brindabella roses today (not the first time), and lusting after a few of those too. Your BB is top of my list. I have a quarter acre block too. How do you fit 300?!!! I'm obviously without talent.

13 hours ago
    last modified: 13 hours ago

Trish, why do you think I call myself the Victorian Queen of pots? Carol can’tnhave it all her own way, she can grow hers in freezing cold. Mine grow in Melbourne’s 4 seasons in one day. Many of my roses are planted closer than recommended, and they do OK. Ive crammed them in where there is a vacant space and the dimensions given seem to fit.

Where I’ve had to remove a rose I dig out old soil and line the hole with thick cardboard, then replant using good soil mixed with premium rose potting mix. It works for me! As I’ve said before i water with Seasol and CharlieCarp. both good for strengthening and encouraging root growth and also aiding disease resistance. My feeding is Blood and Bone with added Potassium early spring, again in early summer and late summer. I use hose-on liquid tomato feed every 2-3nweeks. For Pots I use recommended doses of Sudden Impact, plus Seasol hose on every 2 weeks. I mulch with sugar cane mulch and that is pretty much it.

The cardboard trick for replanting I learned from an srticle in one of the gardening magazines, by a South Aussie gardener who grew for showing and constantly changed roses. I used the same trick for starting roses under trees. but the box does not get fully buried because of tree roots then mulch sround the exposed part. By the time the cardboard has broken down, the roots should be down in the ground and the rose should be established.

Ive lost enough roses over the years that I would need to replace all the soil of the whole block, to avoid replant disease. Sometimes I plant something else like dahlias for a couple of years , then use the space for a new rose or transplanting one of my potted roses. Nobody seems to believe me when I say Iam a rose-aholic😢 Thanks for the info about Westerland, it has been on and off my list for years. Melodye

ps you love Harry! you want him? he’s yours M

• sara_ann-z6bok
    12 hours ago

Thank you Melodye, Flowers, and Carol!

Melodye, I looked up Herkules, I wish it was available here, it’s beautiful! Lovely arrangements!

Sheila, that’s a gorgeous picture of your MFK rose, I can never see too many of those!

I need to figure out what roses I’m going to get for next year. I lost so many last year and I miss having them. I had close to 100, which is a good number for me. I need to start slow, i get too carried away sometimes. I love some of the hybrid teas and floribundas from the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, like Peace, Tiffany, Pink Peace, Perfume Delight, etc. They did good for me for several years, but their vigor seems to wane after time. I do plan to get more of the Kordes that have done good here, the ones i can find anyway! If I ever get another Crazy Love I’ll need to be careful about placement, that rose really clashes with other colors when it’s in full bloom! It is a pretty rose though!

CRAZY LOVE

Close-up

• Kitty6aNY
    12 hours ago
    last modified: 11 hours ago

Melodye, Your rosrs are sensational & property of 1/4 acre seems good for 300 roses, but I would be overwhelmed. You are so ambitious & generous to share with us! I am in total awe of your blooming mania right now! And planting technique…. you described! Very cool way to plant.

I will comment more later today… too much has happened in just a day…. you guys!

Ashley, Sara, Diane, Trish Your photos are gorgeous! beautiful roses! What a delight waking up to every morning!

I have lots of home business, working in still having delivered the new car, setting up a new computer for a job, flute & gardens not to mention T is still working on plumbing & door eoodwork! Oh, I have 6 roses sll deliveted-Generous Gardener came-may olant some today. Looks sunny, 51F But looks very pretty outside.

rosecanadian thanked Kitty6aNY
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    11 hours ago

Sara Ann. Crazy Love is a wild color for sure but I bet I could find a place. Is that one you lost ? Did you like it when you had it ?

rosecanadian thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    9 hours ago

Melodye - oooh!! I love your Mitsouko!! I love the colors in your bouquet...and I love the vase!!

Yes, I agree :) :) You are the Victorian Queen of pots!! :) :) I think your cardboard method is a great idea!! :)

Sara Ann - good golly Miss Molly!!! I have lusted after Crazy Love for so long...but I won't buy it due to its lack of fragrance. But I can enjoy yours here!!! GORGEOUS!!! It certainly loves your care of it!

Kitty - you are always so busy!! You're living your life to the full! And you're still getting new roses!! Fun!!

• titian1 10b Sydney
    9 hours ago

Sara Ann, I didn't realise you had so many roses. Sorry you lost so many, but fun to choose replacements. Yes, I can see Crazy Love would clash, but I like it. Kristine, I bet you can find a place too!

Melodye, so Harry doesn't eat the Blood and Bone? And he's a Labrador! I gave up using it because any dog I've ever had went around hoovering it up. I use Sudden Impact too - must spread some very soon, and alfalfa tea. Westerland might do fine for you. I had one a few years ago that was doing well, but it had to be removed for underpinning. I've read on here that there's a better rose that's similar (can't remember the name), but it wasn't available here when I was looking. I looked up My Yellow on HMF. It's a beauty. And how nice that there is a new Australian breeder.. Lots of photos by Curdle, who used to post here.

I just heard a channel billed cuckoo. I feel so sorry for the poor birds that have to feed their young. They are massive!

I wonder if Ms Tillier varies in colour with soil. I had one in my Tea circle that reliably had the lovely coppery tone, but another in a different spot is much redder.

Do you have Jean Bach-Sisley? I love her spring colour. I almost got rid of it a few months back, as the poor plant is very diseased, but she had a stay of execution for the spring show, and this year the blooms are much fuller than before.

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    8 hours ago

@titian1 10b Sydney are you thinking of "Above All"?

• sara_ann-z6bok
    7 hours ago
    last modified: 5 hours ago

Thank you Kitty, Kristine, Trish and Carol!

Kitty, you and Melodye both seem very ambitious to me!

Trish, around 100 is about the right number, plenty for bouquets to enjoy. In a good sesson the blooms are plentiful.

Kristine, I didn’t lose Crazy Love, I am consideriing duplicates or triplicates of some of my best growers, Crazy Love is one of those, it’s been a good one for me!

I received my Edmunds Catalog this morning, and here’s a new Meilland Rose that I immediately decided I want, and it wouldn’t clash with anything, TOP CREAM, this is Edmunds photo. Carol, they describe it as very fragrant!

• titian1 10b Sydney
    7 hours ago

Magpie, thanks, that's probably it. I see it has Westerland as a parent, and according to HMF, is still not available here.

7 hours ago

Melody, yes! Aloha reminds me of Alchymist, too, and I was going to say that, but forgot. I have my fingers crossed for my pitiful little sprout. I'm telling myself he's just putting all his effort in a good root system and will burst into a proper climber when he's ready. Trish, I hope you come up with the perfect spot for yours. I don't know much about Brindabella roses, but I like what I see in your pics. Mitsouko is stunning!!! I hope Palatine will offer it again someday.

Sara Ann, no kidding about placing Crazy Love. Mine is more coppery than yours, and does take some thought about who he goes next to. What colors do you like with it? I have another band to plant in the spring. Yours has been my inspiration.

Kitty, take a nap, girl! Your schedule makes me tired. Maybe I should take the nap. Where does all that energy come from??

• sara_ann-z6bok
    3 hours ago
    last modified: 3 hours ago

Thank you flowers, i consider that a compliment. I didn’t put a lot of thought into this one, however it is fairly close to Poseidon, which doesn’t look too bad with it. Maybe a light/medium yellow would look okay too, or a warmer pink, I’m not sure

Julia Child

Poseidon

Aloha (Boerner)

• Bc _zone10b
    2 hours ago
    last modified: 2 hours ago

I love seeing everyone’s photos of their roses and other plants. Excited for next Spring when more roses are available. Here are a few of my new ones (all in pots)

Hopefully I’ll get a few more next season, but excited to have found these since they’re new varieties to me-

Jude the obscure....so far he's producing the most repeats(Abe is close 2nd)....and the smell is something else. Lives up to the hype.

Lady of Shalott with an Abe bud...hopefully LOS gets more orange/red......

Abe Darby...really like the scent and how long he last in vase.

Teasing Georgia -smell seems more intense after cutting. I like it. Waiting to see if I like her more than Bathsheba. Bathsheba seemed to have more color variation.

1 hour ago

Sara-ann, Like Carol I have lusted after Crazy Love for a whle now, it is on my Waiting -for-Release list. I’m looking forward to seeing your choice of companions. It seems to blend nicely with Poseidon in the photo next to it. I looked up HMF to see Top Cream and it is not listed, so I googled the Meilland page. They do not mention it, but I saw some Yummy roses I want, Ivory Yves Piaget, White Yves Piaget, to mention just a couple. The trouble is names often get changed by the releasing company in a country, I ’m on the look out for La Villa Cotta, the other name for Crazy Love, I’m hopeful that it will be on the new year release list from Treloars.in January, for next winter. Wagners here list their new releases earlier as do Knights, and they’re more likely to have Meillands. I’m looking for more creamy toned roses. My Cream Dream succumbed to lack of water last year. It was a good rose, lots of repeat bloom. Thanks DH!

Kitty I’m exhausted looking at your schedule,

Flowers , I’ll take that nap for Kitty! I find the best thing about growing in pots is that one can change the position of awkward colours. your Crazy Love sounds more like what I’ve been expecting with coppery tones like the‘cotta ‘ part of its other name.

Bc- you’ve got a lovely selection there, your Abe shows darker colours than mine ever does, mine still lives in a pot too. LOS usually starts the season off , quite pale , then darkens as the weather warms, a bit like Tamora in my flower plonk above.She is almost the same colour as your Jude right now.…. Melodye

Sponsored
Grow | Life Outdoors
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Loudoun County Landscape & Design Swimming Pool & Patio Construction