SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaitlyn_larson79

Adding Height to the Fireplace Wall - Help!!

Kaitlyn Larson
2 years ago

Hi All,

Here is how my fireplace facelift began (but imagine yellow beige instead of the grey paint we used).

I painted the slate tile fireplace surround a blue that was similar to the upper left corner tile, and added white shelves to match the trim in our home.

This is the current status of the fireplace. I would really like to add some height to the focal fireplace wall since the ceilings are 9'. I think some paneling that would look like shiplap (floor to ceiling) would look nice with it being closed off with some simple trim. My husband is opposed to the idea because he believes shiplap is too trendy. I totally understand that concern. I am wondering if rather than being trendy, it would actually fit the style of our house and help accent the fireplace and style of this room. (We do have some of this shiplap paneling in our mudroom where we have hooks for coats and whatnot.) I would paint the shiplap paneling white to match the trim and shelves. Here's a picture of an example I had of this:

Another idea I had was square/rectangular board and batten as shown. I do have a board and batten coat hook accent wall in our main home entry, so it would tie design wise somewhat into that. I would also paint this white. Here's a drawing of this idea:

I do not want to paint the cabinets or mantle white as that wood and stain matches other cabinetry in our home. Everything on the walls and mantle would be put back in its place.

General thoughts? Shiplap? Board and batten? Leave well enough alone? Other ideas? Appreciate your thoughts!

Comments (61)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH