SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Final decisions on bathroom layout options: which is better?

artemis78
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I'm trying to make a final decision between two bathroom layouts and would love thoughts on pros/cons to each. (We are not considering any bigger design changes at this stage in the project since we are already permitted.) This is a new master bath for a small (1250 sf) 1915 bungalow; the existing bath is just outside the bedroom this serves, and does have pretty good storage.

Option A is our current plan. Pros: Toilet is set back from the door and is relatively private. Vanity has drawer space near the sink. Already permitted. Cons: Cutout alcove for toilet is a little awkward. I can't find a vanity I love that seems to use the space well--a lot is lost to plumbing. There's no other storage, and towel rack would need to be between vanity and door, a bit far from the shower.

Option B, the change I'm considering, lines up the toilet and sink on the same wall; we'd use a small pedestal sink and would instead have a floor-to-ceiling cabinet opposite it. Pros: Places toilet closer to the waste line for the existing toilet, so simpler design. More storage overall, but farther from the sink (though there will also be a recessed medicine cabinet above the sink in either option). Towel rack could be next to the door without being immediately next to the toilet. Cons: You can see the toilet from the doorway, which I was trying to avoid, though it will at least be buffered somewhat by the sink. Also, there is a cost to change the plans (though negligible in the grand scheme of things.) Some people seem to hate pedestal sinks (though we have one in our existing bath and have no issues with it).

We are spinning on circles on this. DH thinks they're basically equal--pros and cons to each. I like Option B better aesthetically, but not sure if it's really worth the grief of changing the plans. (We are still a month out from construction, so do have time to do this, but it would be nice to just be done!) I could also potentially use the pedestal sink in Option A and put a separate cabinet next to it, but it can't be taller than 30" because of the window so seems less ideal.

Any thoughts on these two variations? Are there other pros and cons I'm missing? Thanks!

Comments (20)