SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanjeanremodelmachine

Tile installers/experts, lend me your thoughts?

Mittens Cat
2 years ago

We have a two-sided fireplace that needs tile for the hearth floor (we're not going to tile the vertical surfaces). My hope was to install the tile so it's flush with the hardwood floors for a modern look. I'm curious what it's going to take to make that happen. Or if it's even possible (the floors are 5/8" thick if that helps).

The remodel demo did quite a number on our slab here, and the gray Mapei leveling material (leftover from the hardwood floor install) probably doesn't help. Do any of you tile installers/tile experts have thoughts on what it's going to take to install tile in this space? Will tilers need to jackhammer the surface, or is it usually just hand-chiseled out? And what to do about the raggedy edges of the plaster at the bottom? (see last two photos)

I'm trying to get an idea of what's involved, not only for the time/labor cost, but also because we have a very sensitive family member, who will need to be out of the house during especially noisy, dusty phases.

BTW, I'd love to install real stone, but I'm guessing thinner porcelain will be easier? All thoughts appreciated! Thx.

Comments (6)