SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patrick_lam32

Help me redesign our kitchen layout

pkp
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We just bought a home that has a kitchen layout that we think is okay, but I'm wondering if others here have ideas about how we might redesign it. Any ideas are welcome, regardless of cost. Also would welcome thoughts if you think this is truly the best design possible. As a primer, we like more contemporary/modern open floor designs.

Here's what our kitchen looks like right now:

Note that to the left of the fridge are two doors that lead to two separate pantries (one walk-in) and then next to those is the doorway to the formal dining room.

Here's what the kitchen layout looks like from an overhead view (kitchen is the tiled area with dimensions):

Here are some things that I don't love about the area, but I'm at a loss for how it can be improved:

• I don't like where the fridge and ovens are right now. Even though it seems like it completes a square with the counters, it makes the kitchen seem more crowded and blocks the pathway from the formal dining room door.
  • I also don't like the location of the pathway to the formal dining room door. It seems to limit how much counter space we can have.
  • I would slightly prefer the kitchen island be oriented horizontally versus vertically, but there doesn't seem to be enough width in the kitchen to do that.
  • There's very little distance between the breakfast table and the kitchen island as it stands now. There's actually almost no room to put a chair between the island and the round table, so the way it's staged now the chairs are placed strategically to avoid that. But the reason the table is there is because the ceiling, light fixtures, and walkways/windows are placed in a way that it designates that specific space to be a dining area.
  • We'd be open to combining the two pantries into one or even moving them, but they currently occupy a space that is outside of the kitchen square.
  • I generally don't like how narrow the kitchen/dining area/great room seems. The dimensions are 15 feet by 40 feet approximately, but I prefer spaces like this to be wider.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Comments (6)