SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aka_catherinet

New sound coming from Maytag washer

catherinet (5IN)
2 years ago

Hi all. I have a 42 year old top loading Maytag washer and dryer. They have served us well, with only a few problems along the way. We do a lot of laundry around here. Yesterday, it started making a horribly loud screeching sound intermittently in the wash and the spin cycles. If we slightly press on the top of the tub and straighten it out a smidgen, it gets rid of the sound for awhile. DH watched some You tubes about this Maytag model and it sounds like it might be the bearing at the bottom of the tub.

We could order this part (not really knowing if that's it or not), but we'd have to call a professional to install it, since DH might not be able to deal with it. I have loved this washer and dryer for 42 years. I'm almost 72 and was hoping they would last 'til I'm gone.......but now I'm not sure what to do. Who knows when something else will break down on it, and maybe there won't be parts available. Then I'd have to go without it until I picked new ones out. Plus, they're in a difficult small space.

And....I'm sure nothing we'd buy could ever be as well made as these 2 are.

Any ideas on if it sounds like the tub bearings? What would you do in my place at this time in my life?

It looks like Home Depot is highly rated for their offerings of washers and dryers. I'm thinking about the top loading Samsung. I appreciate your feedback.

Comment (1)