SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhbabs

Need suggestions for WI drainage banks, preferably native

NHBabs z4b-5a NH
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

As a somewhat recent widow without kids, I have made the decision to move back to the midwest to be near family as I age, while I still have the energy to make the move. So after much searching I found and bought a house that meets all my requirements, just 8 doors away from my sister’s family in the eastern suburbs of Madison Wi.

In chatting with a neighbor last weekend, I discovered that the drainage corridor behind my house (but not on my property) has had erosion issues and is going to be altered to slow down the water, modifying the channel a bit and adding rock, etc. It is an area that does not have a constant flow, but sees a fair amount of water after rainstorms and during snow melt. While the band of wooded land won’t be stripped of all plants, they will need to do some removal to fit in equipment and move materials. The neighbor, who is on the town board, said that they might welcome input for replanting. The area is quite shady, though one edge gets late afternoon sun. After work is finished I expect that a fair amount more sun will penetrate. There is currently a mix of natives and invasives such as shrubby honeysuckle/Lonicera and Norway maple, with more of the shrub layer invasives and more of the trees and herbaceous plants native.

I am looking for plant suggestions to pass on for replanting in this area since it is so different from my NH property with its acid, sandy loam. Somewhat alkaline, dense clay soil, part sun to shade, tolerant of flooding and some current when the water is particularly high, but also some average to dry periods. Preferably native or at the very least noninvasive, and capable of helping hold the soil.

I have thought of Joe Pyeweed for sunnier areas, and the native shrubby dogwoods, small native willows, and red maple/Acer rubrum, and there are already silver maples. Has anyone had experience with winterberry holly/Ilex verticillata in a similar setting? mine suckers well in NH. Is Madison too cold for Nyssa sylvatica/blackgum?

I welcome suggestions for me to research.

Thanks so much from this former and once again midwesterner.

Barb

Comments (24)