SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beeg1230

Granite supported by left-over cabinet wood pieces

Beeg R
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have a 24" granite that extends off a 30" cabinet that is currently supported by 2 wood pieces left over from cabinet installation. These wood pieces are made of hard wood, 3/4" thick x 1.5" wide.

(Granite isn't my expertise, so I am not sure if the contractor has done this correctly or not.)

We spec'd out a space for a beverage fridge. The space is 24" w x 34" h. Recently, we went out to get the fridge, and we realized one of these wood support pieces would interfere with fridge since it hangs down by 1.5", and these beverage fridge are about 33" h.

I thought perhaps I could trim off 0.5" off the wood piece. As I was doing so, I stopped and decided to research a better way to support the granite. As I was doing more research, I realized that these 2 pieces of wood may not be enough to support the granite to begin with.

Can someone help me find better support for this overhang? The granite extends off a 30" cabinet. The other side is a pantry. Is there any steel overhang or L brackets that can be used on existing installations? I don't want to mess with removing the granite now. Thanks!

Comments (4)