SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_893533393

Best method to install hardwood bridging over a small slab of concrete

HU-893533393
2 years ago

I'm in the process of installing 3/4" hardwood flooring (4" hickory planks) on my 3/4" plywood subfloor. To the side of my fireplace is a 6' x 3.5' concrete slab that I will need to span the long way and I'm not sure what the best method to do this would be. I am nailing in all of the other planks and this area will be surrounded on 3 sides by nailed planks and tile on the 4th side. This will be a high-traffic area so the solution needs to hold up.

My initial thought was to just glue the planks going across the concrete, but I wasn't sure that would be the best method after reading some articles online - granted, they were all referring to flooring glued to all-concrete subfloors.

1. Is gluing the best method? Or is there a recommended alternative?
  2. Because the area is so small, would I need to use flexible flooring adhesive or would something like PL max suffice?
  3. Again, due to the small area, would it be advisable to trowel on the glue or would a few beads per plank and/or gluing the tongue & groove together do the trick?
  4. Finally, would it be better to use 5'-7' planks to span the length - nailing on one end and gluing the rest? Or to use smaller pieces that are fully glued and meet up with nailed planks to avoid any bowing?

Thanks for any advice!

Comment (1)