SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_678848627

5 ton compressor and air handler for two floors - design and cost?

Shadow's Owner
2 years ago

Hi All - thanks for the incredible information shared on this forum. We are doing extensive renovations on the 2nd and 3rd floor of our house and putting in new air conditioning. Ther HVAC contractor has recommended putting in a 5 ton compressor and air handler (both Rheem) which will be zoned to serve each floor. There is an old non-functional unit in the attic which will be removed and because all the walls and ceilings will be taken down and moved all new duct work will be run. So the installation of the new AC will be in totally open wall spaces as if it is new being built construction.

The quote for the above work, all in is 24K which seems high. (We are just outside of Philadelphia). I know from reading the forums that it's important to get multiple quotes but we are very happy with the General Contractor who is handling the overall project and this is the HVAC person that they use for their work. I also realize that quality work - especially these days - doesn't come cheap but also realize from reading these forums that high $$$ cost doesn't necessarily equate to quality work either.

In terms of the system design i'm also wondering if it makes more sense to have two units with each floor having their own dedicated one though I know there are pluses and minuses to both approaches. I know from reading these forums that if we do go w/ a single unit that is zoned the compressor and air handler should both be two-stage or variable units and that a bypass duct system shouldn't be used. Is there anything else I should be asking or looking out for?

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and time.

Comments (16)