SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
techgirlny

Kitchenaid gas oven, convection roast doesn't seem to work right.

techgirlny
2 years ago

I bought a Kitchenaid 36 inch 6 burner gas range (KFGC506JBK). in July. It has these oven settings: Bake, Convect Bake, Convect Roast, and Broil. The manual says the difference between Convect Bake and Convect Roast is that in Convect Roast, the broiler cycles on and off so that the food browns. I noticed that when I tried to roast a chicken using this setting, the skin never browned at ll and it took far longer to cook the dang bird than it should have. So I ran some tests – yes, it was coming to temperature, yes the convection fan was coming on and off. But I could see no evidence of the broiler doing anything. So I put in a service call to Kitchenaid since it is under warranty.

Service guy comes today. He was so clueless he couldn’t even tell if I had a gas or electric oven!!! He kept insisting it was electric until I got him to open the oven and then showed him the manual which says “gas range”. He then called a supervisor who said that the broiler can never turn on in a gas oven in this cycle and that there is no difference between Convect Bake and Convect Roast in a gas oven. After some discussion, it got escalated to someone else, who said there is another broil element in the oven. I asked the serviceperson if he would please verify that this secondary broil element is turning on, and he said he couldn’t do that. He left with the issue unresolved. I am left with an expensive oven that cannot roast a chicken properly.

The other odd thing is that on this setting, the oven indicates it has preheated when clearly it has not preheated (I have a freestanding oven thermometer inside the oven and could see it was indicating preheated when the oven thermometer said 150, and I had set the temp to 450). The serviceperson had no explanation for this.

Do any of you have a gas oven with a convection roast setting? What is the expected behavior? How can I figure out if broiling is happening?

Comments (4)