SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
llewellynn

Uh oh...chemical burn or disease on fiddle leaf fig?

Llewellyn
2 years ago

Woke up today to lots of alarming reddish brown spots on the underside of my fiddle leaf fig leaves! Have been dealing with a nasty fungal infection in several other houseplants as well as rust on my outdoor plants :( so I first assumed that one of those diseases had spread to my fiddle leaf and in a panic removed all the afflicted leaves. The stems and sap where I cut (with a sterile blade, don't worry) were a gross reddish brown instead of their usual milky white, which alarmed me even more!!! However...5 minutes later I remembered that I had sprayed all of my houseplants the day before with a hydrogen peroxide spray (diluted 1 to 4 with water) after hearing that it can help treat and prevent the spread of fungal infections. (I know, I know, I should have test sprayed a small area first but it's been a rough couple months and I'm in a try anything phase right now.) The spots do kind of look like a spray pattern, and they did seem to develop overnight...but I know some plant diseases can develop rapidly as well.

So, which one is this and what can I do now to nurse my fiddle leaf back to health? It has been very stable for a couple years, and was doing especially well this summer, putting out tons of big new leaves. I would be so grateful for any help or advice!

Comments (4)