SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rculby

seeking moral support: I chose the wrong exterior paint color...

rculby
2 years ago

To all the design veterans young and old, tell me how you've coped with large-scale design blunders! I really determined not to make a rookie mistake on this, and yet here I am. I agonized over choosing the perfect off-white shade to paint our 90s transitional. Weeks of research, paint swatches, samples, trying to talk to staff at Sherwin Williams, more samples, input from friends and neighbors, led me to SW Creamy 7012. I wanted a soft white that wasn't too bright. I was going for warm and but not too griege. Alabaster was my other choice but I was worried it would be too bright and read more grey than warm (It did in the samples on my house, at least). SW White Duck and Natural Choice were too dark and were leaning pink in my lighting, Ballet White was also too beige. I knew I might run the risk of Creamy leaning yellowish, but based on my samples outside it never did (I painted 2x2' swatches on the west, south, and East facing sides- now I know I should have painted even bigger swatches?). Now that it's up on my entire house, I'm afraid it does look QUITE yellow. Frankly I've been feeling sick about it, because it is so permanent and I tried so hard to get this right. :'(

Not sure the picture does it justice since it doesn't read the true color, but is there any way it can be salvaged or minimized? Do I change the trim color or window casings? Do I just sneak out when nobody's looking and repaint the entire thing Alabaster one panel at a time? Will I just get used to it?

Comments (18)