SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Do you drink protein shakes or powder?

Oakley
2 years ago

I'm a baby boomer and I'm afraid my generation is buying up all the Boosts! And the price of protein drinks, oh my! Half the time they're sold out. I also just noticed different Boosts don't cost the same. Do you know how expensive that stuff is?

When DH started drinking Boost, and still does, I decided to try it because I've become lactose intolerant and Boost lets me have my chocolate milk, and a good dose of protein and vitamins because I don't eat very well. I do take vitamins, but I'm usually too tired to fix myself something to eat during the day.

Is there a powder or ready to drink..drink you drink, that's tasty and not so expensive? :)

We have powdered muscle milk but it's not the same as Boost.

Expensive habit.

Comments (43)

• Jilly
    2 years ago

It does get expensive. I have 1–2 Boosts a day, plus a smoothie with protein powder, banana, blueberries, yogurt, crushed multi-vitamin, spinach leaves, and almond milk. It’s so good … my DH experimented with various concoctions for me, this is my favorite.

I have to have these due to health issues and fighting malnourishment/getting underweight. Luckily, I love the vanilla Boost (I can’t have chocolate anymore). I drink it over ice.

This is the protein powder I use. I’ve tried various kinds and most taste awful to me. This one is a rare one I can tolerate and actually like:

We’ve tried various other options, but they’re all pricey. It does replace a lot of what I can’t have anymore, so I guess it balances out budget-wise for us.

• nutsaboutplants
    2 years ago

DH, DS and I all drink protein drinks regularly. DH and I are vegetraians and find these easier than constantly figuring out ways to get adequate protein from plant and diary sources. DS eats poultry, but also does power lifting. So he also needs to have additiinal protein.

I can’t stand Premier Protein (too sweet), but DH drinks only that. I prefer Fairlife, which is not too sweet and goes down better.

• Related Discussions

WANTED: What do you drink and not drink?

Q

Comments (77)
    It was fun reading all of this, especially since it goes back to '06. That first post of Lars with the cherry cream soda...yummmy. I only consume coffee if it's ice cream, Kahlua or some other dessert. I like tea, black, green, but not any spiced teas. Really dislike mint too. Mostly I drink flavored unsweetened seltzer, iced tea or lemonade. Occasionally I'll have a fruit soda, but I find them too sweet these days so I mix them with my seltzer. Alcohol? Not really. Don't like wine as a rule. I can deal with a little champagne or Asti. Will drink vodka, that Kahlua making it a Black Russian. Smiles. I can go several years or more without having any alcohol. Last year I turned my current [at the time] vodka into vanilla. This fall an old friend from high school came to visit and brought a bottle of vodka. I had 2 light Cape Cods and when he left I turned the Svedka into vanilla. LOL. In winter in the evening we either have hot tea or hot cocoa often. I do love hot chocolate made with cocoa or even a nice chocolate bar.
    ...See More

A nybody Drink Protein Drinks

Q

Comments (16)
    OOOh, I feel so bad for you. I'm on fluid restriction forever for kidney failure, allowed only 50 ounces of water a day, and that includes my coffe and drinks with meals,etc. It's hard, especially in the summer, when I love a big glass of lemonade or iced tea. But having to choke down unpalatable protein drinks seems inhuman! Dink, talk to a nutritionist. They usually have good advice. If (s)he says you gotta, you gotta!
    ...See More

How much water do you drink per day?

Q

Comments (26)
    Thanks to you rhizo, I have made a conscious effort to brink actual water!.I had my coffee as usual (decaf) but made sure to measure out 4 oz of water for my supplements. Coffee is considered half. So, that is one glass. The I had a cup of tea mid morning. With lunch I had a glass of water. I never do this! I'm going to do a half hour on my lifecycle, and will bring down a glass of water. From what my eye doctor has told me (I have dry eyes) you are suppose to drink the after gradually. It needs to have a chance to absorb, so downing it in a hurry really doesn't produce the desired effect. i still don't understand how people drink 8 glasses a day.
    ...See More

RECIPE: How do you get enough protein?

Q

Comments (9)
    A great way to "stretch" is to add textured vegetable protein to your diet. It's really cheap, and you re-constitute it, so you can soak it in stocks. Add it to ground meat or use it instead of meat. I'm vegetarian, and we re-constitute it in a mushroom broth with some Dr. Bronners thrown in. I mix it with spaghtetti sauce for pasta (gives nice texture), or macaroni and cheese...it pumps up the protien in these foods without adding too much of an odd texture like tofu is to some people or the beany taste from beans that some folks don't like. Lentils are another huge staple of our diet. There are tons of different kinds, and they have a very pleasant taste. Of all dry beans they are fastest to cook. My mom makes a great lentil salad with cooked brown lentils, diced celery, tomatoes, black olives and a bit of feta with a clear Italian or vinagrette dressing. You can throw them into a simple broth, with carrots, potatoes and celery and have a great soup.... Nancy mentioned B12 and nutritional yeast is a great source of B vitamins. If you like tofu, here's a cheesy tasting tofu recipe from The Grit, in Athens, GA. Using super firm tofu, (or press it with a book to squeeze some water out), cube it small and fry it in a non-stick skillet (don't use oil, this browns it better). Then turn off your heat. Sprinkle it with some soy sauce (about a teaspoon for a whole box of tofu ) and then throw the nutritional yeast right in on top of it - it will stick. We put this on salad as our "croutons" and it is YUM!!!! Also excellent on stir fried veggies over brown rice (the Grit calls this their "Golden Bowl". GGG
    ...See More
  • Oakley
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Jinx, I sure hope you can get back on track with your nutrition. The smoothie sounds delicious.

Nuts, I love Fairlife chocolate milk so I need to compare their protein shake to Boost as far as their milk and milk powder goes. I notice Fairlife is much cheaper.

I had to order Boost from Amazon because when I did a grocery order they were all sold out. People are catching on I think! I'm also addicted to Naked Juice, Mango. I do limit myself though but it's perfect for summer.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Do you have to worry about sugar content in these drinks? We gave them to my grandfather and my dad when they were older and not in good health. i used to buy chocolate caramel premier protein for soneone, not sure who ??!! None that i have tried taste good to me. i like the occasional smoothie, but don”t add protein. i get plenty of protein in my diet. @oakley with you being so tired, i would try the protein powder. Has your iron and thyroid been checked? @jinx so sorry you are having health issues. several years ago i went through a bout with GERD and even erosions and it was not fun ☹️

• Bunny
    2 years ago

I unintentionally dropped some weight during the pandemic and don't want to lose any more, so I've resorted to Boost and Ensure between meals. I don't like eating between meals, but I guess I don't have that choice anymore. I prefer Boost to Ensure, but I can get the chocolate down.

@Jilly, the mix you like...What does it use for sweetening? I cannot abide stevia.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Bunny, I just see sucralose listed.

I can only abide protein powders in smoothies, and I’m surprised I like this one. I usually don’t like sweets, but with the other ingredients it’s muted, I guess.

• Fori
    2 years ago

I just wanted to commend you for using "ready to drink..drink you drink" in a sentence.

• Lyban zone 4
    2 years ago

I use this one from Costco in Canada, i pay 40.00 unless i am lucky and get the sale price for 30.00. I mix a scoop with about 10 oz. of almond milk , add a banana to blender for my breakfast.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

I wish I could say I don't like sweets!!

@Bunny that is an accomplishment - losing weight during the pandemic. I do know we did alot more walking, outside activities, etc.

Someone on here mentioned a while back about IF (fasting) and I realized that's pretty much what I do as I have never like breakfast early. So I became more intentional about it and eat "brunch" around 11:00 ish and then dinner in the evening. So two meals a day and some days I will have a snack between the meals. Usually nuts or fruit or this summer I have had a cucumber for my snack. It has really helped with weight. If I could just not love sweets, butter and cheese so much!! I really have to fight those!

• bbstx
    2 years ago

This is the one that DD and DSIL drink. They are both serious cross-fitters (is that the correct term?). They get it from AMZ. The title is

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Micellar Casein Protein Powder, Slow Digesting, Helps Keep You Full, Overnight Muscle Recovery, Chocolate Supreme, 4 Pound

• LynnNM
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Every morning DH and I make breakfast smoothies for the 2 of us: 1 cup of bottled green juice, 1 cup mixed frozen berries (blueberries, raspberries and blackberries or strawberries), 1 cup of Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal, I banana, and 1 tablespoon of Moringa green powder. DH thinks this is a healthful smoothie. It’s very tasty, too!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    2 years ago

LOL Fori! I swear I couldn't come up with a better sentence.

Boost products There are different amounts of protein and carbs in each drink. Protein deficiency can cause tiredness and I know I've been lacking. The only confirmed deficiency I have is Vitamin D, which also causes fatigue.

I'm a chocolate milkaholic and I love chocolate Boost. It's perfect for those times I'm too tired from chores and stuff to fix something to eat.

I've lost ten pounds the past three months. I chalk it up to working in the garden and sweating all those pounds off. lol That's when a nice cold Boost comes in handy, or watermelon slices. :)

Lynn, the smoothie sounds delicious!

• roarah
    2 years ago

I prefer just three ingredients in anything I consume. I make my own smoothies with high protein plain greek yogurt, berries and if for the kiddo a tad of honey. Fake sweeteners are worse for gut health than real sugar and protein drinks like boost are full of either:(. all artificial sweeteners are linked to strokes my neurologist recently informed me of this. I use to drink diet coke by the gallons for years.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Well, when you can’t swallow much of anything, these drinks are literally a lifesaver. :)

ETA: Roarah, same here with Diet Coke! Haven’t had soda in months.

• roarah
    2 years ago

Yes my dad is waisting away and medically uses boost. however, many use things like boost thinking they are a healthy alternative to other options when they are no healthier than pop tarts or fortified sweet cereals or any soy or granola bar. medically advised they are very important but it erks me that soy protein bars, shakes and powders are sold to healthy people as healthy snacks when they are in actuality very processed unhealthy alternatives.

This is diabetic boost ingredient list. It is made by nestles and very processed.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

I so agree, Roarah. Many products that are de facto candy bars are sold as "health food."

I like smoothies with frozen kale or spinach, local greek yogurt, berries or mango, and a banana for sweetness.Yum

I sometimes use a protein powder recc to me by a nutritionist. Don't recall why, but the "isolate" part was important. It has no flavor.

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

We make our own smoothies and we use plain Cabot brand protein powder. We add a variety of ingredients including almond milk (unsweetened), collagen powder, flaxseed, frozen fruits, tsp of almond butter. spinach or kale, etc. DH also likes avocado in his, says it makes his smoothie creamier. I just don’t like avocado.

• artemis_ma
    2 years ago

I like smoothies, but no desire to drink or make protein shakes.

• jill302
    2 years ago

My mom’s physician recommended Boost when she was having a hard time eating much. I ordered it through Sam’s Club, they had the best pricing. Costco did not carry the Boost brand.

We use Optimum Gold Standard Whey Protein Powder. I teally like to add it to my smoothies. This powder was recommended by my friend’s son who did quite a bit of research on the subject. He is a certified physical trainer and is now in his doctoral program for bio-medical, cardio sub-specialty. Decided he was probably a good one to trust on this, although a nutritionist might even be a better source.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

@Sueb20 or anyone else - can you tell the collagen does anything? I went through a whole jar of it and really, I couldn't tell any differences. I can't believe I found someone else who doesn't like avocado!!!

I like smoothies well enough but I don't do protein. I don't do collagen anymore. It's frozen fruit, yogurt and sometimes something green. I eat a well balanced (mostly healthy) diet and do not feel the need for other additions. They are a good way to get my fruit in.

@roarah corn syrup??? Twenty grams of added sugar??? IN THE DIABETIC BOOST? That's crazy!

• PRO
    MDLN
    2 years ago

Oakley thanked MDLN
  • Oakley
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is Boost Glucose Control, not "Diabetic Boost." Am I reading the label wrong or does it say 4g of added sugars?

I think some of you are taking this way too far. Most who drink Boost or something similar, need it. Jinx needs it to survive, my DH needed it to survive, and if they have to drink a hundred a day, then so be it. Who is anyone to lecture?

Older people who can't chew well drink Boost. Should we take it away from them?

I drink it because I don't get enough protein, and I'm just too tired to make my own smoothie, then clean up my mess, especially coming in from outside.

DH's glucose never did get bad while drinking more than one Boost a day.

Eating carbohydrates with a protein or fat can keep your blood sugar steady. Which is why many drink Boost.

• Feathers11
    2 years ago

Deleting my comments. I didn't realize alternative perspectives weren't wanted--I apologize if I offended anyone.

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

Tina, I have no idea. DH buys it so I toss about 1/2 tsp in my smoothie when I think of it, not consistently enough to say if it makes a difference.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Thanks @Sueb20. Like I said, I went through one whole jar and didn't see any kind of changes (not sure what I would see LOL), so I didn't buy more.

• Lars
    2 years ago

I buy Pure Protein shakes, and I like them well enough. I prefer the chocolate an vanilla but occasionally buy banana and strawberry, but the strawberry tastes completely artificial, which puts me off. There are some other protein drinks sold at Bristol Farms that I like, but they are even more expensive than Pure Protein. One that I bought had a mocha or coffee flavor, and I don't drink coffee, but I liked it in a shake. However, it contained way too much caffeine. I only drink one cup of tea in the morning, and that is the extent of my normal daily caffeine.

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

I buy Vital Protein powdered protein and use it in shakes on occasion. I have backed off on additional protein because of a slight rise in creatinine, which can be due to too much protein. I have even added it to my coffee as it has no taste.

I don't care for the canned protein drinks at all. I make a shake with spinach, coconut water, pineapple, a cup of frozen berries, the Vital Protein powder, Flax Seed, a tbsp of local honey. If i have it I add kale, banana, or other fresh fruit.

• lyfia
    2 years ago

I use the same one as mtnredux_gw posted. It has no flavor at all. Have you considered making your own in the morning to have it available to drink later in the afternoon so hopefully you can do it when you have the most energy. I think others were just trying to be helpful as many of these processed ingredients are inflammatory and may cause you to be feeling fatigued too. I don't think anyone meant that those that need it shouldn't drink it, just trying to give alternatives that may also help improve feeling tired.

A note I do have to add fat to protein powder drinks as they can spike your bloodsugar just like drinking straight sugar. I'm type 1 diabetic and wear a continuous glucose monitor (Dexcom G6) and I try to avoid any spikes at all and the only way to avoid that with protein powder is to add a fair amount of fat. The Dexcom allows me to see what is going on real time. I'm guessing because it is so much easier for the body to absorb protein powder is why it spikes as I have tried many different ones and none have sugar as I don't eat anything that has sugar of any form added. I'm not using it now, but do during periods when I'm doing a lot of lifting when working out.

@roarah - thanks for that info on artificial sweeteners. I guess I need to quit my diet drinks - drinking days again. It was so hard to just drink only water (all I did for 3 years,. including sparkling flavored) before I fell off the wagon and started again. I don't like tea or coffee so there is no other options but water and flavored water. Right now I'm being evaluated for Sjogrens as well and always feel like I need something with a flavor more than you get from sparkling water to keep my mouth from going dry. Water just doesn't seem to work the same there.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

lyfia, I am loving drinking alkaline water. I use to force myself to drink water, now I enjoy it. It’s just so smooth. It’s all I drink besides smoothies.

One of my doctors is wanting me to get tested for Sjogren’s, too, but I’ve been putting it off (trying to deal with all the other things right now!). Wishing you the best.

• dedtired
    2 years ago

I personally have the world’s worst eating habits. I’ve never tried Boost or Ensure but my ancient mother glugs down two or three a day. She loves them. i am constantly worrying about her getting enough nutrition, but her hospice nurse said she’s fine if she’s drinking that much Ensure. In fact, she said one of her clients had to go off hospice after she gained eight pounds from drinking Ensure. My mom is on hospice due to her age.

You all have inspired me to make some healthy smoothies. I hate washing the blender. My meal prep revolves around quick and no mess.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

ded, we got a Magic Bullet and it’s so much easier than messing with blenders. It’s perfect for single servings.

• roarah
    2 years ago

I have (had) the sjogren antibody but am already on HCQ for APS. All my antibodies and ANA went negative after adding high fiber, meditation and exercise it is likely cooralation but I like to think it is better gut health ;).

I love a large splash of oj, a slash of cranberry and a splash of pinapple in my seltzer. I also drink alot of decaf ice coffee without sweetener and just a bit of cream.

Lyfia, I think since you have type 1 diabetes since artificial sweeteners are less likely to damage your health than sugars it is likely more beneficial than risky to keep enjoying them in your case. Just like boost is very important to many yet not great for others, diet sodas might be better for you than the altnernatives.

• localeater
    2 years ago

Lyfia, you might like spindrift. They have no added sugar or sweetners, just a touch of juice. They range in carbs/can depending on flavor. I love mango. That’s my afterwork ”cocktail”

I know you said you dont like ice tea, but do you like mint? Bigelow makes an herbal blend called mint medley, and i love it hot or cold, if cold I will add lemon or lime wedge, so refreshing. Of course i also will just have a handful of mint from the garden in my water at this time of year.

• cran
    2 years ago

We use Sun Warrior protien powder, vanilla and mix it with Greek yougrt and berries, its a pea protien and good for vegans. I’ve tried the chocolate and the ”flood gates ” were open and wanted more chocolate all day. now I just stick with vanilla. Roarah i too have sjogrens and am on HCQ and have been for years.

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

Spindrift is so good!

• lyfia
    2 years ago

@roarah - thank you for the suggestion, but unfortunately juice is just another word for sugar for me and would spike my blood sugar. There is just not a good easy way to match insulin reaction times to any sugars without a lot of planning ahead as in I'd have to take insulin and wait xx minutes to drink to avoid a spike and I rather avoid sugar than have to plan when to drink something. And to figure out the xx minutes takes several trials to get the timing right. Plus I like to minimize the amount of insulin I take as excess insulin leads to weight gain.

• lyfia
    2 years ago

@roarah oops I'm behind on the posts. I'm sorry you're dealing with Sjogren's too. Not sure I have it yet, but waiting on blood test results. My mouth feels like permanent cotton mouth and when I go for a run I will at times go completely dry and not be able produce any saliva. Thankfully at night I have to wear a mouth guard so that seems to help at least producing some saliva so not as bothered at night.

I'm a type 1 diabetic who through avoiding any sugars or foods that spike my blood sugar I maintain a 4.9 - 5.1 A1C which is in the middle of the normal non-diabetic range, so hence I'm not as worried about high sugar damage as most diabetics should be and do tend to focus on other things as being potential worries too. Unfortunately there isn't much data or studies on type 1's like me due to most not willing to do that, but I have to think that keeping my numbers in control like that puts me closer to the normal population as far as risks.

I may start a new post once I know more if I have Sjogren since there are several on here with experience in this area. Sorry Oakley for taking things off topic.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

@lyfia have you tried ICE water? No sugar, only water, flavoring and some vitamins and antioxidants. I love the pineapple coconut and the coconut lime. The peach is good too; there are several I like.

We don't drink soft drinks, don't even have them in the house. We drink decaf tea and I drink decaf coffee (the Mr. doesn't drink coffee) with cream only. I have been trying to increase my input of regular water. My mantra lately is STEPS, CARBS, WATER (more steps and water, less carbs). It's a daily battle!!

• jill302
    2 years ago

Lyfia, You are doing a wonderful job taking care of yourself. My daughter has Type 1 and has been working hard to get her a1c lower. Last month she reached the 5’s for the first time. Combining her continuous glucose meter with an Apple Watch has been a game changer for her.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Dedtired, what are you using to make smoothies? I find Magic Bullet pretty easy to clean.

• lyfia
    2 years ago

@Tina Marie - ICE does use artificial sweeteners though which was what roarah warned about. I do like them, but they are expensive. My favorite is the Lemonade.

@jill302 - good luck to your daughter - sounds like she is doing what she can to really improve her life. I do have the apple watch which makes it so much easier to keep an eye on things without having to pull out the phone, however I find that it lags sometimes. Since I eat foods that don't spike me I don't need to keep as close watch anymore as I rarely have lows or highs and just keep on trucking at a steady line in the mid eighties to mid nineties all day/night. There are the occasional hitches that comes with hormones, but my highs are 140 and my lows in the 60s so very easy to control with just a few skittles to raise it back to the 80s or a 0.7U bolus for me to lower it to the 80s again. I've been maintaining this now for almost 6 years. The game changer for me was bolusing for protein.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    2 years ago

I know this thread is not about smoothies but I am just throwing this out there.

I have a subscription to Revive Superfoods for their smoothies. They are a bit expensive but certainly less than any juice/smoothie bar. They are super convenient and a cinch to whip up. I use my Kitchen Aid to blend them. I am sure you could add protein powder to them. I use Trader Joe's coconut or almond milk but my DS just uses water in his.

My favorites are Pinalada, Liquid Gold, and Morning Mocha. DS likes Strawberry Zen and Pink Dragon. The first box is 20% off and they last in the freezer for months.

Revive Superfoods