FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
oursteelers

Palatine rose list

oursteelers 8B PNW
8 months ago

It looks like their list has changed. Does that mean this is their new selection? Dang it!!!! I finally decide to be adventurous and get Ascot and they no longer have it????

Comments (166)

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    7 months ago

Wish some Brad Jalbert roses would be added - he has some really pretty ones. Would like to see more apricot/peach roses too. [David Austin Roses, are you listening?]

• rosecanadian
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

I'm getting these Jalbert roses from Phoenix Perennial Roses...really expensive...but...

- Anne Marie

- Mary Lou Whitney

- Beverly Anne Clay

This is a Canadian order business only...but if you look at the Jalbert selections, it'll tell you a lot about them.

https://www.phoenixperennials.com/select-roses-rose-pre-order/

• Related Discussions

Hey you guys!! Palatine's new list is up!

Q

Comments (10)
    Austins are absolutely stunning in a climate that suits them. Some do well here, not all, but in climates that suit them nothing is more beautiful! I've seen them with my own eyes and couldn't believe the difference in how they grow here versus milder climates without heavy blackspot pressure! That Kleopatra is a looker! Sebastian Kniep is lovely, I'm not familiar with it. Wonder if the thrips would love it? :-) The bareroots I've gotten from Palatine were the biggest and healthiest I have ever received from anyone. Carol
    ...See More

tell me about Palatine's Sweet Victoria rose

Q

Comments (13)
    Diane-Strawberry Sundae is white, pale green and pale pink darkening as she ages to a deep rusty pink in the fall. Right now she is almost all white with just a touch of blush on some of the petals. I have a Julia that is starting to put out some nice growth after a slow start. I love everything about her I love your color combo. Julia just might be the one. And I'll get a lovely scented rose since Ascot has none. Sharon
    ...See More

Palatine Roses bare root mail order for fall 2019 and spring 2020

Q

Comments (99)
    SOLD OUT roses (3pm PDT 9/13/2019): Augusta Louise, Barock, Baronne Prévost, Belle Sans Flatterie, Biedermeier Garden, Black Caviar, Bullata, Butterfly, Chartreuse de Parme, Chloris, Cornelia, Dainty Bess, Double Delight, Duchesse de Montebello, Edgar Degas,Elfi von Dassanowsky, Emma Haftl, Great Maidens Blush, Grimm Brother Fairy Tale, Gros Choux d'Hollande, Kazanlik, Larissa, Mme Pierre Oger, Moonstone, Mothersday, Our Anniversary, Queen of Denmark, Reine de Violettes, Rosa gallica 'Officinalis, Rosa Mundi, Rosanna, Rose du Maître d'École, Sidonie, Skyrocket, Sunbeam Veranda, Westerland, and Yolande d'Aragon. Helen
    ...See More

Palatine 20-21 Rose Catalogue

Q

Comments (27)
    rosecanadian there is an old thread here on houzz that discusses it, but i had also been asking around and learned from Palestine directly. here are the old threads if you are interested. you can scroll through as see some of what was offered last year. not everything on the list was available, but several were. i also was able to order st cecilia from k&m roses, just as an fyi. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5473924/a-new-source-of-vintage-david-austin-roses#n=63 https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5832396/david-austin-roses-at-palatine
    ...See More
  • Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    7 months ago

@rosecanadian Same. I have a sensitive nose and I am always looking for plants that smell good to me. I have a LOT of "scent" memories and whenever something triggers one it tugs at my heart in a way that none of my other senses can do for me. It's also the only sense that my brain seems to actively only register clear memories of scents that I think of fondly. Sounds and touch make me cringe a lot of the time and can be overwhelming for me, and trigger a lot of bad memories for me, but while I can recognize a bad smell that I've smelled before, it doesn't ever turn into anything more that "oh, yuck" for me. So it's like, a safe and pleasant sense for me if that makes any sense. Anyways, loooong way of saying that I don't care for roses with no fragrance 😂 they just don't take me anywhere.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    7 months ago

I looked at Phoenix Perennials website last nite - sure wish I could obtain some. My Navy son lives in Washington......but getting across the border isnt that easy. And if I went to see him, how would I drag them home on the plane? Guess could send them.......It seems that this year, there are not alot of new roses from any of the rose vendors. Forever Amber is one I want, but thats about the only one I am interested in. Am afraid David Austin is going to only have that Nye Bevan - an insipid white/yellow that I dont want.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Magpie…”they just don’t take me anywhere” what a perfect way to put it😍

alameda, I would have been open to trying Nye if there was a good fragrance. i dont mind the pale yellow in my white garden,

it can kinda look like sunlight but it must be a cool yellow, not warm and it must be fragrant. I still want DA to put out an outstanding true white with no blush or cream tones with an off the chart fragrance

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    7 months ago

Am I missing the new additions ? Has Palatine already listed the new Tantaus ?

• rosecanadian
    7 months ago

Magpie - how wonderful that you can feel safe with "smelling memories" when you can't feel safe with your other senses. For you, fragrances are extra extra important!!

Alameda - yeah, that's a bit tricky. Plus you may have to get a phyto certificate. According to Jalbert this is a really hard time for us to get roses:

Rose shortage! In my 30 plus years in the business I have never seen such a shortage of roses as we will have across North America in 2022. All the growers are experiencing a huge surge in demand and product is more limited than ever.

He reallly likes his rose Angels Delight. I wish I could show the picture of Angels Delight...beautiful.

Hybridized by Brad Jalbert, 2022 Introduction - Angels Delight

One of our most fragrant exciting introductions to date! This very English looking rose is packed with over 100 petals. Angels Delight is a strong growing healthy floribunda to about 4 feet tall by 3 wide. The blooms are a romantic old rose form in shades of cream with tinges of very soft pink and apricot. Fragrance is anise with lemon, strong and alluring. This beauty of ours is very popular in Australia and the Uk . We have our first “10” plants available here in North America! If you want one I suggest ordering soon as you read this as we have only 10 plants coming from the first crop. Hardy, Healthy easy care and beautiful just the way we love to breed them.

Kristine - yes, the new roses are in the mix with the other ones. :)

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Carol, Angel’s Delight sounds like my kinda rose. Really looking forward to seeing yours!

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1,029 feet
    7 months ago

Mischievous, yes, RdV IS a HP. I was just saying it offers gallica-like colours on a less eager plant. I apologize if it came across as though RdV were a gallica. Definitely not! ὠ5

Steven

• fig_insanity Z7a E TN
    7 months ago

@oursteelers 8B PNW Since you already have Galloping Charlie in a pot, I thought I should warn you...do NOT set the pot directly on soil. Keep it elevated on pot feet or on a non-permeable surface like concrete or asphalt...an elevated deck is even better, lol. Charlie WILL root through the bottom of the pot and escape, if he's own-root. He's an escape artiste par excellence. As an aside, the same thing can happen with most any rose grafted on Dr. Huey. I had two pots of grafted Comte de Chambord/Mme Boll on either side of my front entrance...near the edge of the side walk. Even though the drainage holes were at least 8" from the soil of the foundation planting, Dr. Huey snaked his way out the hole, crawled under the pot, rooted in the soil, and it took me two years to get rid of the last bits. And Charlie is MUCH more aggressive.

John

EDIT: I don't mean to discourage you from growing Charles de Mills. The blooms and healthy plant are worth the effort to keep him contained. Just DO keep him contained. Grafted (on multiflora!) is best in his case, lol.

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention, if anyone is looking for truly heavenly scent, Comte de Chambord/Madame Boll has a very strong old rose/damask scent, as well as pine scented glands on the buds. The scent is why I had them on either side of my entrance, besides the pure baby-ribbon pink, confectionery blooms.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I have Galloping Charlie on one of those 16x16 cement squares….but I have Comte de Chambord in the ground. It’s not the greatest soil, full of japanese maple roots but do you think I should dig it up?

• fig_insanity Z7a E TN
    7 months ago

@oursteelers 8B PNW Your CdC is fine. There's nothing inherent to that variety that would be a problem. It was just that when grafted on Dr. H and planted in a pot, the good (hah!) Doctor wanted to root on his own and took the opportunity....his tap root simply followed the nutrient/moisture trail leaking from the drainage hole in the pot. He has that proclivity regardless of what rose is budded on him. But if your CdC is grafted on Dr H and planted in the ground, the likelihood of his taking over is no more or no less than it is for any grafted rose. It's possible he'll send up suckers, but that's a possibility with any rose on Huey. If CdC happens to die, that is when you'd face having to remove remnants of Dr H. In the mean time, just watch for and remove suckers, just like you'd do for any other grafted rose.

John

P.S....sorry for hijacking the thread!

• rosecanadian
    7 months ago

Oursteelers - yes, Angel's Delight does look/sound wonderful...unfortunately Brad is only offering those in Canada (so far) at his greenhouse...he doesn't ship. Phoenix Perennials doesn't offer that rose of his. Drat.

John - what do you think of the bloom amount on Comte de Chambord. I think Straw said that it doesn't bloom all that much...but she really agrees with you about the beauty and fragrance of this rose!! :) :)

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1,029 feet
    7 months ago

Psst.
    Mischievous... Check out RdV.
    *Giggle*
    Henri Fouquier. I've definitely heard of him... wow! What lovely and full blooms

Steven

7 months ago

Wow Steven, that is a really cool rose

That color is amazing!!

I dont know why on my Palatine site I don't see any of the new roses. I looked for Piano and didnt see it.

Maybe God said that I have enough roses and dont be a glutton.

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    7 months ago

@MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1,029 feet Honestly your photo of RdV looks a lot better than some others I've seen on HMF. Tell me a bit about how the rose behaves for you if you please?

• rosecanadian
    7 months ago

Kristine - actually I don't see Piano either.

• Diane Brakefield
    7 months ago

Steven, I love your photo--so that's your RdV? It must be slightly related to my Clown Prince, and I love those variations. Diane

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    7 months ago

Kristine and Carol, Palatine said they will add 9 more roses to the website. The keyword is "WILL" and that is why you don't see them yet :) Helen

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    7 months ago

Is anyone else having trouble logging on to Palatine today? I've tried every way I can think of, but get a message that it isn't a secure site and won't let me go any further. Anyone else?

• Diane Brakefield
    7 months ago

Flowers, I logged on to Palatine night before last and had no trouble, but a while back, Hortico couldn't be logged on without that message. They seemed have cleared it up. I'll check Palatine right now. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    7 months ago

I had no problem logging on. I've got top security protection, so I don't worry much. Anyway, give it another try. Diane

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I just checked and could log in, just an fyi

7 months ago

Thanks Diane and Tina for trying Palatine. Still locked out here. I'm not worried about any personal info on that site because I order online, but pay by phone. It'll probably be cleared up in a day or so.

• Diane Brakefield
    7 months ago

You can't go on in spite of the canned warning? I did with Hortico. Son in law it was fine as long as I didn't charge anything. I just wanted to look around. Diane

• Christian
    7 months ago

I know its a long shot but I really hope Tropicana (Tantau 2018 release) happens to be one of the nine new ones Palatine has brought in. Tantau describes it as smelling like passion fruit, which is my favorite tropical fruit.

https://www.rosen-tantau.com/en/buy-online/hybrid-tea-roses/fragrant-hybrid-tea-roses/tropicana/

• Christian
    7 months ago

I also want Eisvogel. What a interesting color and flower form.

https://www.rosen-tantau.com/en/rose-eisvogel/

• bellarosa
    7 months ago

Christian, that's beautiful!

• Diane Brakefield
    7 months ago

I've liked that one (Eisvogel) since it first appeared in Tantau's catalog, but it looks somewhat different on HMF than in the catalog. Sellers' catalogs often show such tarted up photos, but some are pretty honest, I've found after lots of comparisons between photos in catalogs and what is photographed in people's gardens. Lavender Ice, a favorite of mine, looks as good on HMF as in the catalog, and Augusta Luise looks better in my garden than the catalog's blah photo. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    7 months ago

Here's what the catalog says about Tropicana's scent: its scent of "maracuya fruits...let us dream of heavenly gardens of Brazil....The flowers of this rose are perfect for creating rose jellies and rose desserts." Hmm. That sounds interesting. Diane

• rosecanadian
    7 months ago

I hate when they reuse a name. Tropicana (old) then Tropicana (new). BUT...it does seem like a fabulous rose!!

7 months ago

I'm with you, Carol! Bolero is the most over used name I've seen so far. Took me forever to figure out which one everyone was talking about.

Diane, tapping 'reload' does nothing when trying to get on the Palatine site. I don't know how to over ride it. I'm giving up tonight, will tackle it again tomorrow and maybe call them to see if it's on their end or my computer.

• rosecanadian
    7 months ago

Flowers - I didn't realize there was an older Bolero. I think it would be fairly easy to think up a new name. LOL

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    7 months ago

@flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA maybe you already tried this (and I apologize if this is a repeat) but did you try 1.closing/shutting off your browser and opening it anew or 2.clearing your cookies?

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    7 months ago

Can I ask how you log in to Palatine? Are you just going to the website or logging in? I know I had to create an account last year for the expired DAs and missed out on most of them :(

• bellarosa
    7 months ago

I just go straight into the website and order from there.

7 months ago

It's my computer. I'm getting the same message on the Austin site, the Rosarium site and others I've ordered from. Strange it's only rose related. Wonder if my husband could have anything to do with this.

My computer just loaded more comments - sorry, I wasn't ignoring you.

Librarian, I have done your first suggestion, and when I cleared my cookies, I had to create new passwords for several sites, but I have been on Palatine lots of times since then.

Aaron, I have accounts, but I think I'm just going to the main websites. I don't know how to log on with my account. My grandson will be here in 3 weeks and can fix this, but THREE WEEKS! However, I'm willing to wait 3 months to not have to spend a day on the phone with Comcast.

Oursteelers, forgive me for taking over this thread with techy stuff.

• Diane Brakefield
    7 months ago

Just go to their website, and don't log on. I used the wrong term--forgot I didn't log on either I just went to the site. If you want to buy anything, do it as a guest (if you can) without creating a new account and password. I do that all the time to minimize accounts all over the place. Diane

6 months ago

Even more roses added since I last looked

I am now getting pretty tempted by some of the new additions.

• kathyc_z10
    6 months ago

They have some very interesting ones. I feel like I need more info on Cool Cats though. I'm very intrigued by the color and frequency of bloom but not 100% sure what it means when it says "flat" bloom form.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    6 months ago

kathy, do you have Savannah? For me she is very flat in bloom (the bloom is maybe an inch tall when fully opened) so I would think they are similar.

They have a ton of interesting just didn’t add many bery fragrant ones so I think I will be able to keep my list reasonable. Which is good cause last year I went a bit over the top with the old Austins

• kathyc_z10
    6 months ago

oursteelers, thanks, I see what you mean, I don't have Savannah but after looking at pics, I see it is similar to how Beverly opens as well.

I need to narrow my list down since I already have 25 in pots! Still working on my soil...

• Michael 9a NorCal
    6 months ago

Below is the most recent update from Palatine Facebook page, looks like they might have some Austins roses as well:

"For you rose enthusiast you can also know that our website is up to date. All the roses that are available are now listed.

We did not produce any Austin roses.

However!

We are considering adding the following:

Boscobel

Crown Princess Margareta

James Galway

Lichfield Angel

Munstead Wood

These roses are produced by J.C. Bakker & Sons in St. Catharines, ON. They produce their roses on multiflora and are strictly a wholesaler.

Once we have received their Austin plants and graded them we will add them to our regular website.

We anticipate that they will be added in the new year."

6 months ago

Well adding some Austins should up the intetest level.

• judijunebug
    6 months ago

I had my mind set on Ascot as well, and was disappointed not to see it on Palatine's list. So I contacted Pam at Angel Gardens about Ascot. She told me she's currently rooting several for others who asked and she said she can root another one for me. Maybe Palatine will carry it yet, maybe not.

• Diane Brakefield
    6 months ago

I checked HMF and the European patent for Ascot was granted in 2010, so it hasn't expired. I'm sure the US has reciprocal agreements when it comes to patents. So my question is has Pam been granted rights to reproduce Ascot and sell it. I'm sure Palatine would be interested in knowing. Also, the size estimates on HMF are cuckoo for Ascot, and they say it would be suitable for containers. Haha. Diane

• judijunebug
    6 months ago

Well, I didn't know anything about that, Diane. When I saw that Palatine doesn't have it listed, I went to HMF to see if I could find any other nursery that carried it. It mentioned Angel Gardens, but when I went on their website, it wasn't there. So I emailed her and that was what she replied to me. I have no clue about the patent date. If I remember correctly, there are several roses named Ascot that are mentioned on HMF, so I made sure to ask Pam about the Tantau Ascot.

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    5 months ago

Linda at LongAgoRoses carries Ascot also.

• judijunebug
    5 months ago

I would suppose then that Pam and Linda both have propagation rights for Ascot? I never really worried about that issue when ordering. I just figure that part is up to them. My "job" is to buy them and grow them as beautifully as I can. : )

• Diane Brakefield
    5 months ago

Our job is to keep sellers like Palatine in business, sellers that pay for the right to propagate and sell roses still under patent. We do this by buying their roses. Diane

Sponsored
Best Homes
Average rating: 4 out of 5 stars1 Review
One stop for all your home remodeling needs!!