SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eleanor_snickelfinger

Bona DriFast stain -looks like it expanded and is now quite plasticky

Dogs love sliding all over the floors but the stain kind of ate the wood grain overnight. What did I do wrong? I was quite judicious with how much I used. I had to stretch it.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    2 years ago

Did you wipe off the excess? Pictures?

• Eleanor Snickelfinger
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I thought I had wiped off excess -- I was very frugal. I'm going to call it a day and hire a responsible adult. I tried to hire a responsible adult to begin with but I only need 1 room redone right now, so most aren't interested even when I say I would happily discuss paying them more because it's only one room. A few wouldn't neven say what products they used. I had no idea hardwood floors had personalities, but it seems they do. LOVE LOVE LOVE your comments and tips.

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    2 years ago

Post a picture of the problem area for diagnosis.

Eleanor Snickelfinger thanked G & S Floor Service
  • Eleanor Snickelfinger
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Dogs loved it though. I'm re-doing with a hardened oil.

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    2 years ago

Did you remove all the old finish to bare wood? It does not look like it. Those shiny spots look like poly. That would explain why it looks plasticky. The stain is sitting on top and drying into a film.

Eleanor Snickelfinger thanked G & S Floor Service
  • Eleanor Snickelfinger
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh yes, I chemically stripped and then sanded.

• James
    2 years ago

please hire a professional

Eleanor Snickelfinger thanked James
  • Eleanor Snickelfinger
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Professional flooring person has confirmed. Please keep good thoughts coming!!! I can't believe my wood floor hell may be coming to an end. I promise I tried to get a professional to begin with. Fingers crossed. They are duraseal people. Classic grey on red oak. Anything else I should know folks?