SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
npmom17

Built In Shelf Dilemma

npmom17
2 years ago

As part of our addition, we have a new space where our plan was to have a fireplace with TV above and built ins on either side. I’ve included a pic of the unfinished space below.

Given the pre-existing house structure, the built ins on the right side would have a max depth of about 6-7”, whereas on the left it is much deeper (approx 15”). So my question is- Will it look weird if the depth of the shelves on the right side are significantly more shallow? Or will placing objects on the shelves create somewhat of an optical illusion where it looks similar to those on the left?

As an alternative, my contractor and I discussed building out the left side to have the same shallow depth of the shelves so that it was consistent with the right, however the cabinet at the bottom could still be deep for storage, etc.

Obviously in an ideal world we would like to keep the left shelves deeper to maximize that space, but I am worried it will look strange if the two sides are not equal. Thoughts and suggestions please!

Comments (12)