SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nick_roberts44

New Laminate Flooring making a crackling sound throughout

Nick Roberts
2 years ago

I had a hardwood floor removed due to damage and decided to go with a laminate floor replacement. I hired a contractor to remove the floor and replace with the laminate. The base is concrete. The contractor removed the flooring, but did not remove the adhesive that was still on the concrete, which was substantial. A 6 mil plastic sheet was installed as a moisture barrier over the adhesive laden concrete. I am now getting a crackling sound from the plastic underlayment throughout the installed area. The contractor did come back and try to flatten (patch with concrete) a small area in my foyer that was the noisiest. It did not work. There were no initial concerns with the cement flatness by the contractor.

We are now in a dispute, as the contractor says that they installed the laminate floor in accordance with NWFA guidelines and that there are no noise guidelines from NWFA. I had voiced concern over the remaining adhesive by initially questioning the compatibility with the underlayment. As a start of a "mediation" process, the contractor has requested that I get a certified industry inspector to come and assess the flooring. What are the industry guidelines for installation? I'm questioning if this is a reasonable process to get to fixing the problem.

Comments (4)