SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
george_skinner85

Big Chill oven tripping AFCI breaker

George Skinner
2 years ago

We've been having problems with our Big Chill Retro 30" gas range. Every time I turn on the oven, the AFCI breaker trips and indicates an arc fault. The stovetop igniters still work, as does the broiler, convection fan, and oven light. Looking at discussions for Blue Star ranges, it sounds like this might be a problem with the hot surface igniter, the thermostat, or the gas valve. The range is about 3 years old. We'd also noticed that the oven was starting to get a little flaky - either taking forever to ignite, or failing to relight and letting temperature drop while it was in use. Has anybody encountered something similar with their Big Chill or Blue Star gas range?

Unfortunately, Big Chill and Blue Star service technicians are difficult to book where I live. I finally got hold of one company that does the service, but still waiting to have an appointment confirmed. As a fallback, I'm considering ordering parts and doing the work myself (not my first choice, but I've been doing research work on hydrogen fuel cells for 20 years, so I know a few things about combustible gas and electrical work.) I'd just rather not buy replacements for everything if a simple igniter replacement might do the trick,

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor