SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stupidlazydog

Show me your late summer flowers :-)

Echinopsis 'Antimatter'

Hildewintera hybrid

Matucana madisoniorum

Comments (101)

• SoCal Stewart (San Diego, Ca Zone 10A/10B)
    2 years ago

Tiffany, I just did! CINNAMON! I hadn’t smelled it before and never would’ve thought such a small flower could be so fragrant let alone smell like cinnamon. What a pleasant surprise.

• Related Discussions

Late Summer Echinopsis Flowers

Q

Comments (7)
    Re: the question about the Schick Hybrids in picture 629, I believe the varieties are (1) Anastasia (the white/pink), (2) Sasquatch (the orange), and (3) Edwardian Lady (the yellow/white/pink. All can be purchased from the Huntington, they have a great online catalog with pictures at www.huntington.org/BotanicalDiv/Schick/catalogintro.html, and if you're within driving distance during the week, their Curator of Desert Collections, John Trager, might be nice enough to let you pick them up in person (which got me a free entrance into the gardens there, absolutely beautiful). As to the dragon fruit cutting, I picked it up at a flower and garden show in April 2008. And yes, they grow very fast, especially when planted in ground. I'll see if I can find a picture of it earlier and post it.
    ...See More

Flowers bloom in late summer

Q

Comments (0)
    Flowers that bloom in late summer, as well as a few shrubs and trees that provide great autumn color can also add beauty to your garden through out the year if year round enjoyment is desired. Light-colored flowers, evening-scented plants, as well as garden lighting, can make your flower garden into a pleasant evening retreat after a long day at work.
    ...See More

Late Summer Flowers

Q

Comments (8)
    Thank you Greg, it looks great in your garden! I planted a Little Lamb this year, it has been blooming for months now. I like your cedars as well.
    ...See More

Show us a picture or two from your summer garden of 2017

Q

Comments (56)
    Roxana, yes I was...95% I’d say. It still pops up but much more manageable. I go around every couple of months in spring and summer to catch stragglers but it’s almost entirely gone from lawn and easy to pull if it pops up in the bed. it was creeping up from an adjoining ditch and I battled it unsuccessfully for 10 years! Oddly, it seems to only expand in one direction. So now I’ve cut it off from my yard the ditch is even doing better. It seems not to be able to expand backwards where it has already grown and maybe depleted soil. Just my unscientific observation. Lol It also doesn’t like lime so be diligent about liming your lawn as you try to get rid of it. Aerating the lawn annually also helps improve drainage. good luck!
    ...See More
  • stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
    Original Author
    2 years ago

A few more...

• Bill M.
    2 years ago

Wendy, they look great. It must be magical walking around in your gh at this time of year. I love seeing all the pictures.

stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a thanked Bill M.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, Bill :-)

Original Author
    2 years ago

And here's one for the last day of summer...

Flowering for your olfactory enjoyment,

Dead Mouse Plant (aka Pseudolithos cubiformis x ?)

• Bill M.
    2 years ago

I like the looks of that guy! Is he really stinky?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    2 years ago

I am not sure I can find any love for that plant. Trying...

stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a thanked Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Bill, he's not terribly stinky. If you're standing next to him, you'll get a very faint whiff. Just enough for you to wonder if there's a dead mouse somewhere kind of far away. Of course, I haven't stuck my nose right in the flowers.

Tiffany, I think Pseudolithos are an acquired taste, lol! I do tend to like weird looking plants.

2 years ago

I do too but that one makes me feel like my plants are less weird. :) The nickname isn't helping.

• Bill M.
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Wendy, I definately have to get one of them! I have the perfect place for Mr. Stinky.

(is he in the euphorbia family? He looks it)

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Wendy!! I forgot you had so many unusual cacti and succulents. In fact. I forgot it was there I met you lol We have been hanging out at Hoya more than here. Just outstanding my friend. You seem to be successful growing anything that is hard to find or just different. I’ve smelt a dead mouse. Not sure if I’d like that although the plant is very nice looking. Ha

stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a thanked Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Bill, I think it's in Asclepiadaceae, just like Hoya.

Mike, the smell on this one is very faint, otherwise I don't think I'd want it in the house, lol! I do have some seedlings of both P. cubiformis and P. migiurtinus... looking forward to seeing how they smell when they get big enough to flower, :-)

• Bill M.
    2 years ago

I have to scour nurseries now for stinky plants! Mike has me buying pleasant smelling fragrant plants, and now you Wendy have me buying stinky plants. If they all bloom at the same time, do they cancel each other out and I smell nothing? 😂🤣🤔

2 years ago

LOL!! Bill, look for a Bradford pear tree, some privet, Narcissus, purple velvet (Gynura), and Stapelia grandiflora. Oh, and whichever Wisteria it is that smells like cat pee.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Bill, good question..lol

2 years ago

Stapelia bloom keeps growing, and growing, and growing...

Sedum 'Ayers Rock'

Watch-chain Crassula

Original Author
    2 years ago

Love that Stapelia photo.... the flower bud looks like a balloon :-)

• Bill M.
    2 years ago

Wendy - wait till it opens! I've had stapelias, there are no bees in their part of the world so they've evolved to attract flys. How to they attract flys you ask? Allow me to tell you. 😉 They stink! Yep, they stink. They smell like dead carrion, which attracts flys. They're a great plant, but they do stink! 🤣 Put it outside when it blooms and it'll be covered in flys in no time, and you'll get a seed pod too.

Enjoy....

2 years ago

Agree, they do smell terrible!

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

They do..Yuk

Tiffany, you ALWAYS have the nicest growing plants. I swear you own more than a greenhouse has to offer. Always nice looking plants too. I need to come to your place for a few cuttings. ha

Do you grow orchids? You must. Camellia? Fragrant?

I forgot.

That 'watchchain' has a very unique fragrance from barely noticeable flowers for sure. I love that plant although boring it can be

Mike

2 years ago

Thank you, Mike! I don't think I can get my nose close enough to that watchchain to sniff it. I will try though!

I do have some extra plants available for postage:

https://garden.org/lists/view/purpleinopp/?catid=6636

2 years ago

Lantana

Brugmansia suaveolens

Callisia cordifolia

2 years ago

Pilea libanensis

Euphorbia 'Diamond Frost' has never stopped since I got this newest one in April or May.

Zinnias

2 years ago

Dracaena 'Riki' is preparing an inflorescence

Aloe bellatula

Plectranthus forsteri

Torenia

Evolvulus (blue daze) and spiderwort

2 years ago

A bloom-y spot.

TRopical milkweed, Pentas, Buddleia

MARIGOLDS

2 years ago

blue curls

Hoya bilobata

Tradescantia sillamontana

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Tiffany , unbelievable. I’ve been trying to get a Dracaena to flower for me forever. Is that grown outside all year ? How old is it ? How big?
    Just awesome in everything as always ))

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Tiffany. I forget to tell you that some how I think you have more plants combined than my local huge Greenhouse. Crazy.

• Bill M.
    2 years ago

Mike, I have a few dracaena fragrans which flower reliable every winter. The fragrance in the evening is overwhelming and fills the entire house. It's a very pleasant smell and I love it.

The plants spend the summer outside in dappled shade and grow profusely. I've cut them multiple times and restarted the shoots, which is how I ended up with so many!

They are left alone outside and watered by the rain. I put a slow release fertilizer in the pot, which suffices for the entire season. During a prolonged drought, I will water them with collected rain water. What happens is the roots usually root directly into the ground. When they are brought inside, which I did last week, I have to pull and cut the roots exiting the pot. They don't seem to mind.

Once you smell one of these blooming you'll want 100s more. The flowers last over a week, but they are heavy dippers, similar to my snake plants, which are blooming now.

Here's one just beginning to send up shoots. This is last year's picture. The flower stalks will get very long and fill with 100s of small flowers. It was taken in November last year so they should begin starting to set buds soon. Good luck with yours.

2 years ago

Mike, thank you very much! According to my plant list, I'll be attempting to bring a little over 200 different kinds of plants inside to escape winter. It would be impossible to count individuals, with some pots housing a dozen or more plants. Wish me luck! That's a new personal record.

That Dracaena is in a pot, outside for summer, inside for winter. Like Bill said, 'tis the season for the blooms to form. I've seen some people say they don't like the scent but I do. It's similar to Brugmansia to my nose, an unusual fragrance.

From what I've seen, Dracs need some direct sun to bloom, plenty of water, and a little fertilizer doesn't hurt. I think the last time I saw a Drac of mine bloom was when I last used fertilizer in 2017 or 2018. I got some this year and it really does make a difference. I've been giving some to all of the plants since it had been a few yrs since any of them had any.

What kind do you have that you hope will bloom? How long have you had it?

Beautiful, Bill!

Original Author
    2 years ago

Well, now you guys have got me wanting a Dracaena. I used to have a Brugmansia that would fill the house with fragrance every evening. it could be a bit overwhelming, but I liked it. It pretty quickly got too big, though. I got it from Logee's, and it went from about 6"-8" tall to 5'-6' tall and covered with flowers within a year. It was an amazingly fast grower. This was about 35-40 years ago, man time flies!

• Bill M.
    2 years ago

Wendy - I'd love to try a brugmansia indoors. I've grown them outdoors, and tried to over winter them outside, but had no luck. I don't have one now but maybe this spring there may be another in my future! I also want to add a plumera to my collection too. Talk about fragrant! Wow, beside the beautiful fragrance, every time I walk by one I hear Hawaiian music playing! It must be the Menehune's frolicking in the smell.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Bill, Ha! I do very well with Brugmansia, in fact I have one and it's growing like a weed. All you have to do is treat them once a month for pests unseen as we do all of our plants, and keep them in a warm sunny area. I love mine! In fact, that is exactly what a Dracanea smells like come to think of it since I once bought one in bloom only 2 feet high. It was grafted and in full bloom. I almost killed it when it sat in water for over a month. It's finally coming back in full force and I wish it would flower like it did when I bought it.

How long have you had yours? I use to have one for 15 years and threw it out because it never flowered. Now I think if I had stuck it outside and fertilized it, it would of done something for me.

Is yours one that you pick up at Home Depot? The Nursery? Just those common ones you see on a trunk? I am wondering about getting another now?

Tiffany, I think it's a Riki? If I took a pic, do you think you might know? It was small when I got it and loaded in blooms. Unusual. I killed the main trunk they were grafted on to but saved the grafts now growing very nice. Let ken know if I post it, please. The leaves sort of look like yours. The fragrance was the nicest thing any of my plants ever smelled. I love it. Have not found any like this one since and even the greenhouse I got it from has no idea of what I am talking about.

I wonder if it has to be grafted to bloom, or if I could buy one that is not on a stalk? The ones not on a stalk, do you think they would bloom?

Wendy, you and I have so many plants in common, it's crazy. I love the Brugmansia too. One of my favorites.

PS. If none of you have ever grown a Brunfelsia, you should. One of the most fragrant plants I have and oh so easy to grow.

https://www.logees.com/jamaican-lady-of-the-night-brunfelsia-jamaicensis.html

• Bill M.
    2 years ago

Mike, the drac has to be 30+years old. It started out as leaves on a trunk from home depot. It's been cut more times than I can count. I place the cuttings in water, they root easily, then they're popped into soil, fertilized and put outside during the summer. These things just want to grow.

• Bill M.
    2 years ago

Mike - you gotta just stop suggesting! Every time I think I have enough you come up with yet another fragrant plant and I'm thinking - hmmm? maybe just one more! Come on - ya gotts give us a break! ;-)

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Bill. lol. I swear, it's the last time. But you really are missing out if you have never owned a Brunfelsia.. One of the most fragrant indoor houseplant I have ever own. If you think you t\like Hoya, this beats them all. Ha

I can't believe it 30 years old! My God. I will be dead before I ever have one that long. I almost bought one at Lowe's , none there, at Home Depot, none there. When I don't want one they are all over at a dime a dozen.lol

2 years ago

Tiffany, I think it's a Riki? Yes, my bud pic is Riki.

If I took a pic, do you think you might know? IDK until I see the pic. Riki tends to produce spiral leaves that are about 1/3-1/2 as wide as regular D. fragrans. And Riki leaves are ribbed, not smooth and flat.

It was small when I got it and loaded in blooms. Unusual. I killed the main trunk they were grafted on to but saved the grafts now growing very nice. I'm sure it's possible to graft Dracaena, but I've never tried or seen anyone sharing pics of one. Mine was pretty small too when I got it, 9-10 yrs ago. It is now several after being beheaded a few times when one gets too tall to get enough light while inside for winter.

I wonder if it has to be grafted to bloom, or if I could buy one that is not on a stalk? The ones not on a stalk, do you think they would bloom? I don't understand these questions. Maybe ask a different way?

2 years ago

A bud update.

This is kind of a cheat since I just bought it, Ixora.

Also just bought this Nemesia & put it on a wick.

Wax Begonias blooming, they never stop.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Tiffany, thank you!! I am off to get one.lol

Beautiful as always. You never disappoint!!

2 years ago

Thank you but it's not me, it's the plants! ;)

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Tiffany, can you take a whole pic of that Riki? I want to see how tall it is. Thank you))

And is it grafted on to a stalk or growing from the soil level?

2 years ago

Here is a pic from 10/6. It's in a 5-gallon bucket with 'Massangeana" and Kalanchoe blossfeldiana. The bud is just below chin level (for me, I'm not very tall.) I started with a little guy about a foot tall about 7-8 yrs ago and now I have 2, from cutting the original one a few yrs ago & propagating the top. I'd have to look at the soil level to see if this one was the cutting or if one in another pot was the cutting. The other one bloomed last year.

Sorry about the bag of leaves. I "stole" them from a guy cleaning up the parking lot @ a bank and need to wait until planting beds are mostly empty for winter to "mulch" those areas with these leaves.

The one in the other pot was declared too tall a couple months ago & beheaded. By now, the stump is regrowing and the top seems to be doing well, to the right. This pic shows well how the leaves grow in a spiral.

I don't think I've seen any grafted Dracs, that would be interesting. But I have braided a few D. marginata, and "lucky bamboo" (D. braunii / sanderiana).

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    2 years ago

Huh,I thought I posted this yesterday..Pachypodium still in bloom in November..very late summer.

stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a thanked stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    2 years ago

Begonias are still blooming like crazy.

2 years ago

Dracaena 'Riki' bud update

2 years ago

Tradescantia sillamontana

2 years ago

creeping Charlie / Swedish ivy (Plectranthus verticillatus) put in drain holes a few yrs ago. It is constricted and shrunken, but always blooms well anyway.

2 years ago

Ti plant (Cordyline fruticosa) is forming an inflorescence.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    2 years ago

SLD, some assistance please.

I’ve had this Psuedolithos since May and have watered 2.5x’s. Repotted about two months ago. He’s looking pretty thirsty, def not as plump as he was. But I’ve been so gun shy to water.

He’s blooming right now and has another set of buds. This guy feels well anchored so I think it’s safe to say he’s grown new roots since the repot🙂.

It sits in a warm window that faces south.

I’m curious how/when you water yours?

I‘m thinking now would be an ok time to water because of the flowers, but people always talk about Pseudolithos rotting, but as you can see he looks super thirsty.

When do you notice your guy actively growing?

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County