SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mblalock

Living Room help

Mike Blalock
2 years ago

I don’t know what to do for this room. First thing you see when entering. I’m trying to decide what to do with fireplace. Husband loves the cabinets on both sides, me not so much. Willing to buy new furniture, but we love the swivel chair that we can face the table. Help Help?

Comments (26)

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

How do you currently use this space? How would you like to use the space?

• Related Discussions

Hallway/ Living Room Help!!!! Need help with color

Q

Comments (1)
    I like the roman chamomile with daisetta on the back wall.
    ...See More

Redesign small living room help needed

Q

Comments (12)
    I would get a light colored low key rug bigger than the one in the photo. Put the TV where the sofa is now, and the sofa opposite that with 2 end tables. A swivel chair for near the back wall, and maybe an accent guest chair on the side with the tv near the dining room. The arched entry to the dining room limits how "sleek and minimal'' you can be, but you certainly don't have to be old fashioned or cluttered. Everything sen below is from All Modern with other colors available
    ...See More

living room help

Q

Comments (11)
    Start by making the t v wall more important. Using the wall paint color, paint a wider (wider the better) console with it. Inspiration photo. Add some (real) greenery, put in a wicker plant stand to work with the accent color in the rug. Scout around for LED battery powered wall sconces in brushed brass. Move the rug and the sectional a bit more to the right so you have more of a path by the window to get in and out of the room. Good place for tripod floor lamp. You can make this off-side work if you center the new console on the wall, but install the t v more to the right of the wall so it aligns with the center of the sectional. This is where you hang the artwork. Like this: This is a gallery set of art prints that you can download for $10.00, from etsy, and frame yourself, I'd stick with gold/soft brass framing to compliment brass sconces. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1630091776/neutral-coastal-vintage-landscapes-and?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=gallery+wall+art+set&ref=sc_gallery-1-1&pro=1&dd=1&plkey=2d1e9a12e4474b9cdbe1e05cbf4b8d85437711b1%3A1630091776 As for the window, purchase a lined panel, thinking white with a blue trim. This example of the install will work well. Notice how the rod is hung higher and wider than the window. In your room, you would stack back the panel to the right of the window. Again etsy for the panel. Except you want a brushed brass rodl
    ...See More

Living room help needed!

Q

Comments (2)
    It looks like maybe you are not in the US? BM Edgecomb gray is a light warm gray that should look good with your tile and plays well with others if you have access to it.
    ...See More
  • Sammie J
    2 years ago

I agree with your husband - I like the bookcases! What to change without getting new furniture:

I would definitely get a different rug that incorporates the blueish and creamy colors in the room. Pull the swivel chair in towards the coffee table (much like the blue chair). Take away the armless entry chairs - if they are needed, push them against the wall rather than having them at an angle and add small bolster pillows so they don't resemble dining chairs so much. You could use an accent color - a rusty orange would look good with the blue. Use it in the artwork and add pillows that incorporate texture and color. Take all of the items off the china cabinet - use books behind the glass doors. Take everything off of the mantel and remove the mirror. Instead, lean artwork of varying heights across the entire length (including bookcases) and add coordinating items to pull it all together. Paint behind the openings in the bookshelf the color of the trim so that they disappear instead of stand out.

Mike Blalock thanked Sammie J
  • Mike Blalock
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We only use this room to sit and chat with guests. It’s full at Christmas!

• HU-776966322
    2 years ago

I love your suggestions! Thanks. I’m inspired to clean it out and begin again.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

I don't mind the cabinets flanking the fireplace, but I would paint the back of the openings to match the woodwork. Right now they look like unused receptacles for TV gear. If you don't remove them, then you need to get rid of one of the other cabinets (it would be the tall one for me.) I would replace the sofa, two chairs and coffee table.. The swivel chair could go to the master bedroom, and two matching swivels can replace it and the blue one. Start with a new rug that looks pretty with your wall colors. Then move on to a neutral 3 seat sofa and two chairs. A brass and glass coffee table would keep the room feeling airy; that one is clunky and masculine.

Mike Blalock thanked decoenthusiaste
  • happyleg
    2 years ago

No two tone walls. Accent wall at fp is ok. Do u like the color? Agree above.

• Sharon
    2 years ago

A new rug would help a lot. I would give the tall cabinet a new home and put a table between two matching chairs with a nice piece of art on the wall. Bring everything closer together so you’re not shouting at each other from across the room. Pare down your accessories and go with a few statement pieces. If you keep the bookcase, get rid of the initial and the stuff on top. Then some new throw pillows to tie everything together and you’re done.

Mike Blalock thanked Sharon
  • aniluap2
    2 years ago

I would move the sofa so it faces the fireplace and creates a sort of entry hall behind it. Maybe replace with a sectional and arrange your chairs so they face the sofa, to create a conversation pit. You may have to move it in a bit closer to the fireplace to create the walk space behind. Remove the China cabinet and lighten the accent color on the bottom paneling since it chops up the wall and is not repeated by any other accents in the room. If you are going to use the dark color on the wall it should be repeated in some accessories to tie it in or choose another color that matches with what you already have. I think the color may be a bit dark since you have chosen white wood furniture. Your furniture does not have much pattern so you could go with a more interesting rug, maybe a bit smaller than what you have, that has some pattern to it and coordinate the colors in the rug with matching throw pillows, vase etc. Finish off with some occasional tables in between the chairs so guests can rest drinks and be comfortable, rather than reaching for the coffee table.

Mike Blalock thanked aniluap2
  • Dennis Peterson
    2 years ago

I agree with many suggestions from earlier posts; new and brighter area rug and decorative pillows to unify color palate, eliminate tall china cupboard and replace it with the white entry console and lamps, turn present sofa to face fireplace and define the entry area, one or two ends tables each side of sofa depending on space, two swivel chairs flanking the fireplace, glass coffee table with maybe a free-form top, paint below the chair rail to match rest of wall but leave the fireplace wall as an accent but paint the back of the open cabinets white )presently, they are a distraction), add a long bench in the entry to replace the console (less bulky and very useful), maybe move the mirror and hang it over the new entry bench, arrange a vignette of artwork and other items on the long mantle and above the entire length of the mantle/shelf.

Mike Blalock thanked Dennis Peterson
  • katrina_ellen
    2 years ago

In the living room space I would paint the wall below the chair rail the same color as above. I don't think it does anything for the room.

Mike Blalock thanked katrina_ellen
  • Patrice Brimeyer
    2 years ago

I recent removed my chair rail. I think that would make your space look more current.
    Or at minimum paint lower portion, chair rail and top portion the same color.

Mike Blalock thanked Patrice Brimeyer
  • hannah_tedeschi
    2 years ago

Definitely get rid of the dining chairs flanking the chest in the enteyway. If you need a space to sit, I'd incorporate a bench/wall hook scenario there. I agree with getting rid of the china hutch with the B on it too! Replacing it with a piece of artwork, yes. Another couch facing the other one could work. If you love the chairs, I suggest sticking with 2 that match! Or better yet, just keeping 1 with a small table next to it. I agree with the new rug suggestions as well!

Mike Blalock thanked hannah_tedeschi
  • PRO
    Everything Home
    2 years ago

We might suggest getting two matching chairs instead of two different ones. We would also do artwork over the fireplace in place of the mirror, and remove the rug. It also looks like the two toned wall needs to be painted all one color in order to create a calmer and more put together space.

Chatham Model Home · More Info

This Is My Happy Place · More Info

Mike Blalock thanked Everything Home
  • PRO
    lisedv
    2 years ago

Here are some ideas... you can keep or replace the sofa (with a grey one) but I would replace the chairs for a pair of 2 identical ones instead of the tall cabinet against the wall. Also replace the coffee table and end tables. Keeping in mind you have some blue in the adjacent room, I suggested blue & white rug and decorative pillows.

• Beverly
    2 years ago

Blu walls are pretty. Need a new rug. Shelves by fireplace nice. I agree remove the China cabinet and place chairs there. Cabinet is very dated.

Mike Blalock thanked Beverly
  • Linda G
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Begin by deciding what you want to emphasize as your focal point. To me, the obvious one should be your fireplace so your sofa should face that. Once the sofa is relocated, I would place the dark blue chair on the right side of the room. The patterned chair I'll discuss later. I agree with others about disguising the cabinet openings by painting the back of the opening to match the trim.

Your sofa fabric texture appears nubby and the rug is also. For me, the "delicate" print on the black (?) and white chair next to the tall cabinet doesn't work. Either remove it or consider a slip cover in a solid that's dark grey (in the photo the center of your rug appears to be dark brownish-grey) or similar to your sofa. If you do choose a patterned fabric chair or chair cover, it needs to incorporate some of your "earthier" tones (if you plan to keep the rug and sofa) AND a healthy dose of the dark blue on your walls.

On the tall cabinet, I would lose the neutral wood tray holding the neutral color candle and find a piece that incorporates some of the stronger colors in the room. To me, the blue you've chosen for the lower portion of the walls is not spread around or incorporated throughout the room enough. Throw pillows that do the same thing are a must to get your sofa to be part of the total package. I've attached two quick finds on the internet (I don't care for the pattern of one of the pillows but the color composition was what I am trying to convey).

Mike Blalock thanked Linda G
  • PRO
    LiLu Interiors
    2 years ago

We think it might be best to paint all the walls the same color. It seems a bit distracting to have two walls like that. Here are some images of our designs. Please note the layouts in each image.

Art of Family · More Info

Fresh, Acquired, Worldly · More Info

Secret Garden · More Info

Mike Blalock thanked LiLu Interiors
  • mjlb
    2 years ago

I would just like to say that the OP's second photo, showing fireplace, gave me a little charge of 'happy'. I love the white pieces against the dark wall, and the blue birds on the coffee table. Also love the black and white stylized suzani upholstered chair.

Before replacing furniture, I'd try just repositioning -- the sofa facing the fireplace, with the two chairs flanking the fireplace (black and white upholstered on the right hand side. The coffee table rotated 90-degrees. Remove the tall china cabinet. Depending on room dimensions, the buffet maybe can stay where it is, or possibly move to where the tall cabinet is currently.

If this works, then move on to more details like side tables, lighting, decorative touches, and maybe a new area rug.

Mike Blalock thanked mjlb
  • taniajk
    2 years ago

Chairs do not appear to be at conversational distance from couch. I'd bring them in. Then the walkway through the room is behind those chairs. I'd put some slim piece of furniture along that wall where the china cabinet currently is. Or reorganize the furniture in some other way that facilitates conversation and interaction. Agree with other comments that the china cabinet looks dated. I would not remove the book cases flanking the fireplace - they fit nicely and removing would make that space look unanchored. If your house is old (1940s or earlier) i would not remove the chair rail. But a chair rail in a new house is sort of artificial (v. original and vintage). Chairs don't make sense next to the buffet - just remove them. I'd replace both rugs with an kilim or knotted beautifully patterened rug. This is a matter of test of course, but i just don't like the beige. Blue is a nice color but overall the space is just too plain. Add pattern! Add texture! that's my 2 cents anyhow.

• mjlb
    2 years ago

Sort of like this rug with the room.

Mike Blalock thanked mjlb
  • Sharon
    2 years ago

That rug for the win!

Mike Blalock thanked Sharon
  • Dennis Peterson
    2 years ago

Yes, nice rug!

Mike Blalock thanked Dennis Peterson
  • PRO
    Pauline Licavoli
    2 years ago

I would remove the sofa and table and add a sectional maybe brown leather. Face toward the fireplace as your focal point. Remove the extra sink fe chairs. Add some mid-tall green plants like palm trees. Add some leather vintage books. Add some scented candles. Add a ottoman with storage for the sectional with a large tray. Remove anything else that doesn’t go well with the room. Add some comfy pillows and a soft throw

• PRO
    Pauline Licavoli
    2 years ago

Add turquoise, blue (marine/water colors) look best with brown

• PRO
    Pauline Licavoli
    2 years ago

I can’t edit on here sorry. I wanted to add maybe turn the cabinet into a bar since you entertain in this room. Add a couple of end tables non matching but look close alike for drinks. Be sure to add coasters for the glasses.