SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrea_elhajj

At wit's end with unhappy Schefflera

Andy Jane
2 years ago

I purchased my first schefflera several months ago and still haven't hit my stride with its care. I'm hoping for some serious advice.
When I originally made the purchase, the plant was severely rootbound such that roots were all along the surface of the nursery pot and coming out of the drainage holes to strangle the circumference. The vegetation was also huge and overgrown. I did some research and was advised to prune a bit less than 1/3 of the rootball as well as some of the greenery. I couldn't find a pot big enough for the unpruned rootball, so this sounded like a good plan.
Ever since then, it is seemingly unhappy with my care. Every few days or so, the edges of a few leaves turn black and eventually completely become brown and fall off. Much of the new growth comes in with only three leaves and very much umbrella-like in their curvature. I initally suspected scale but think that it is simly barking on the stems (though i am not entirely sure). I never seem to know when it needs water despite trying to monitor it for signs of need in order to avoid overwatering.
It is currently situated to the side of a south facing sliding glass door such that it geta indirect bright light. I water until water flows out the bottom drainage hole about every othet week or 2 weeks (ie when the surface is dry).
What am I doing wrong here? Have I permanently ahocked the poor guy into a state of oblivion?

Comments (8)