SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_854873845

Few questions relating to lava rocks

Sure, Not
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi, I recently bought red and gray lava rocks (as well as pumice) for my cacti soil mix...

I have few questions:

1. Size

What is optimal particle size of lava rock for a small coffe mug sized plants

I actually sifted my red lava rock by few sizes because I could not find any smaller than 1-5mm grade:

below 4,5mm (arround 1/6 inch)

between 4,5 to 7mm (slighly less than 2/7 inch)

and above 7mm (which im sure is too big, it really looks like that big chunky dog food some people have for their pets)

Should I use the smallest one or can I combine it with the medium one, since there is very little of those finer particles and I really dont feel like crushing that lava

2. Washing

I've heard it contains a lot of usefull minerals for plants, but at the same time if I wash all this dust it is kinda like washing all those minerals away, is that dust really that bad for drainage and if anything blocking those holes in lava rocks that it needs to be washed? Rocks are not candy and minerals already have really hard time disolving from them, that dust would be literally the only source of those minerals if any.

Also I assume the dust, especially the finest one might increase CEC (cation exchange capacity) since it is like clay and clay has high CEC, I plan to combine it with coco coir, which has good CEC but not the greatest tho and since I'm watering with hydroponic nutriens, I want to avoid fertiliser burn, which high CEC helps avoid

Also the dust kinda stops those sharp edges from being sharp

3. Porosity

While the red lava rock has a lot of nice holes, the grey one literally has almost none, I was kinda disappointed when I opened the bag, because it really looks like any random gravel from an unpaved side of a road, also after washing small amount to see how it looks like, unlike red lava rock and pumice it looked like the water stayed on its surface... Did I just buy a bag of kinda expensive grit or there is more to it?

4. Desinfection

Can I bake my lava rock in the oven, and if so on what temperature... I'm quite sure its ok but it will never hurt to ask...

Comments (5)