SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daninthedirt

mulch the vines!

daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

So down here I learn new things about fighting the heat every year. As we’ve gone through 100+F days earlier this summer, my butternuts were very happy. But now that the vines are long - 6 feet or more - those long vines get “the wilts” just a day or so after watering when the heat is on. Of course, we always pile on the mulch. I do that a couple of feet around where the stems enter the soil because, duh, that’s where the roots are! But what I’ve learned is that if you pile the mulch (I use leaf compost, which I have many yards of) ON TOP OF THE LONG VINES but under the leaves, the plants are much happier in the intense heat.

Not sure if the vines are actually sucking water out of the compost/mulch, or if that compost/mulch is just cutting down on evaporation from the vines. But it works. Now, in principle, secondary root development at the root nodes can be encouraged by burying vines, but it works the next day! Long before secondary roots have had a chance to develop. Somewhat strangely, my vining squash is more sensitive to the heat than my melons and cucurbits.

Comments (3)