SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pgschlegel

Anyone with cork flooring in your kitchen? Comments

Lois Webster
2 years ago

Doing a complete kitchen overhaul and am seriously considering installing glued down cork flooring. Want to hear from anyone living with a cork floor in their kitchen. Thank you very much in advance.

Comments (14)

• SJ McCarthy
    2 years ago

Oh good! A cork flooring question. I'm a cork flooring expert (no longer affiliated with a company/retailer). I've helped hundreds of people put in cork floors in bathrooms, trailers (yep...the one's you pull with your car), kitchens, counter tops (regular home AND $500K RV), walls, ceilings...you name it and I've probably helped get cork to sit, stick or float on it (yes...even yachts).

So...glue down cork tiles are AS EXPENSIVE, at the end of the day, to install as high-end porcelain tile. In my neck of the woods, that works out to be (roughly) $18/sf. Easy. Don't freak out. That is the TOTAL cost of the job. That includes the cork, the adhesive, the polyurethane coating you apply AFTERWARDS and the labour to install.

It does NOT include subfloor prep. I always itemize 'preparation costs' as a separate line-item. Because it is. Of course all subfloors need SOME SORT of work. That's a given. The prep costs for a glue-down-cork floor = IDENTICAL to a HIGH END porcelain tile floor. Perfect. You are still in the 'normal' ball park for your project. I would add another $4/sf onto the price of the flooring install. That should get you in the right ball park...just behind home plate (sigh...I have GOT to stop watching baseball!).

Now...what is it SPECIFICALLY that you want to know about cork?

Is it great on your joints? Yes. It is the perfect 'age in place' floor.

Is it water proof? Yep. So long as it is sealed AFTER the install, you bet. It is as good as sheet vinyl.

How long does it last? It *can live 150 years. How do I know that? Because the US Library of Congress received it's cork floor (glue down) in the 1890's...and it's STILL THERE. And cathedrals in Europe have their cork floors since the 1850's. You get the idea.

Does it dent? Yes..and no. Cork DIMPLES...which is to say the dent is not permanent. You can 'iron' out the dent using a hot wet clothe set over top the dimple (it takes a snick more than that...but you get the idea).

Does it gouge? Sure...but so to does hardwood and carpet. The COOL thing about gouges in cork = you can DIY the repair. Not kidding. I've done it dozens of times with some extra cork (you will keep 5% waste), Elmer's wood glue, and a shoe (no...not kidding...I use a shoe). In 24 hours you have a PERMENANT fix. Cool right? Try that with European Oak!

Does it fade? Yep. Sure does.

How much? Wow...how much time do you have? The amount the cork FLOOR fades is HIGHLY dependent on EVERYTHING ELSE in the home...that It is nearly impossible for me to explain. But it comes down to AMOUNT of DIRECT SUNLIGHT on the cork. And then add to it the STAIN used on the cork (if you purchase a stained/coloured cork) and then add to that the UV RATING of your windows and then add to that YOUR LIGHTING...and area rugs...and shadowed areas due to awnings, etc.

Suffice it to say, cork floors fade like most wood floors. It just does it a little faster (6-12 months instead of 12-24 months).

Tell me a little bit more about what you are using, who you are using, the colour you want and some photos of the space and I'll see what I can help with. Please ask any question you have. There are NO dumb questions about cork. Remember: if YOU'VE thought about it, someone else has to. Any question you ask me (and I answer) will help SOMEONE ELSE down the road.

TTFN Stephanie

• daisychain Zn3b
    2 years ago

I love stephanie's enthusiasm for cork. I am also a fan, but I don't have nearly her expertise. We have had cork in our kitchen for almost 20 years now. We have a couple of coats of white stain on ours. It does look stained rather than a solid coat of white and I really like the look, I love how soft it is and I love how it goes with the hardwood floors in our 110 year old home. I especially love how our kids heads used to bounce off of it when they were learning to walk and fell constantly.

Ours is glue down. We originally had it installed about 2001. Seven years ago, we had a house fire and the pipes above the kitchen broke. Water rained down on the floor for hours. Once things dried out it looked fine and we considered keeping it, however, the insurance co. decided the subfloor was probably compromised even if the cork seemed okay. We went with glue down cork again.

When the original cork was maybe 8 years old, I sanded it lightly and revarnished it myself. It was very easy. I should do it again, but it still looks fine so I put it off.

• Related Discussions

Anyone with Natural Cork floors?

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi, Thanks for your response. My cork floor was installed in the kitchen at the end of April and I moved in May 1st. I'm single, don't wear high heels and am very careful to wipe up any water spilled on the cork immediately. About 2 weeks ago, I used the recommended cleaner and polish. The finish on the cork seems to be worse since then (cracking and ripping). When I called the Natural Cork technical Assistance, they told me to go thru the dealer where I bought the cork and file a claim. When the cork was installed, I debated whether to add a coat of water based polyurethane. But no where in the installation or maintenance directions did Natural Cork recommend doing that. As I was afraid I'd void the warranty if I did add the polyurethane, I didn't put a coat or 2 on. Now, I regret that I didn't put the polyurethane as the cork doesn't seem to be wearing well. I love the feel of cork and love the way it looks in my kitchen. I'm just disappointed the floor doesn't seem like it will last. Any suggestions? twobengalsandme, I have a mat down in front of the sink and dishwasher. It is a microfiber rug with a light rubber backing that I got at BB&B. Why is this light rubber backing bad for my cork floor? It's not a sticky type of adhesion. Is it still bad? Thanks for your comments and help! Karen
    ...See More

Show me your cork or other kitchen flooring with busy granite

Q

Comments (5)
    I don't have photos, but we will have natural cherry shaker cabinets, and golden crystal granite, which I consider busy. We wanted cork flooring as well. I was also concerned with it being too busy, but when we took samples in to the granite yard to hold next to our slab, we ended up choosing wicanders originals, symphony color. Remember the granite will be horizontal, and not right up against the floor. Even if we would have gone with natural wood floors, there would still be some natural variation. I would also check out marmoleum as an option. Not sure if it comes in planks, but its also easy on legs and backs, and comes in tons of color options.
    ...See More

do your cork floors dent?

Q

Comments (34)
    @Glenm, and @Olivertwistkitchen , thanks for sharing your experience here. Though this post is old, I came across it as we're considering redoing the floors in our new construction home on the upper level where the bedrooms are by switching out the builder-provided carpet to cork - for its soft foot feel, relative moisture resistance, and sound insulation. I wonder if you all ever got to the bottom of the denting issue with iCork products? Did the manufacturer help? We are seriously considering iCork but due to the lack of commentary on cork in general online, finding it difficult to decide. thanks in advance!
    ...See More

white stained cork flooring anyone?

Q

Comments (1)
    Bump.
    ...See More
  • chispa
    2 years ago

If you can dig up posts from roughly 18 years ago you will find lots of information on cork! It was the "darling" of that era and everyone was putting them in. The current "darling" of the flooring world is now LVP.

Myself, I prefer to use hardwood (site finished first choice and engineered second) and tile.

• cheri127
    2 years ago

@SJ McCarthy I would love to put white glue down cork tiles in my new kitchen but the process looks like it involves an experienced, skilled installer. Do you know of any in the Philadelphia area? (sorry for the hijack.)

• SJ McCarthy
    2 years ago

@cheri127 White cork is a beautiful product. Just remember the colour is only skin deep. Like paint on black velvet. This is a negative for some...but a boon for others.

Remember: white floors (of ANY description) show dirt, spaghetti sauce, coffee spills, red wine, etc very very well. I don't care if it is perfect porcelain or creamed cork, both show off DARK stuff very very well.

That's the ONE thing you need to know about white floors. Now a cork glue down tile is a specialty item...but anyone competent with CONTACT CEMENT adhesive can put down cork. I've walked 80+ year old grandmas through the process (sure, they've lived off the grid for 30 years so they have some sense of 'get 'er done' attitude/aptitude).

So long as you have SOMEONE who can READ instructions and who can PREPARE a subfloor (properly!!!!!!!) you can find someone who can install cork. Again, be prepared to have them work on the floor for 3 days...kinda like tile but not quite. More like marble.

Do you have a link to your favourite 'white' cork? I'll have a look and tell you the process.

• Michelle King Lindsey
    2 years ago

Is white cork a bad idea longterm? Does the color peel off, like paint?

• SJ McCarthy
    2 years ago

@Michelle King Lindsey A white floor is something you must be able to live with. As I pointed out in my post above yours, white is picky. It is picky...tricky...and finicky. So long as YOU the homeowner can HANDLE white, you are welcome to work with white anything.

White cork is a white floor with a softer surface underneath. The cork (show me the product you are looking at and I will investigate it for you) QUALITY will tell you if it 'peels'. Traditionally cork finishes do NOT peel...although some VERY TALENTED homeowners (sigh...tongue FIRMLY in cheek!) have managed to do it. Don't ask. It's VERY traumatic for me.

To be clear, I'm a cork flooring expert who has moved on to other things. I have NO affiliation with anyone. But I do have an affiliation with cork. I LOVE cork. Love it! I like natural cork because I LOVE how it lightens and brightens in sunlight/UV lighting. Love it.

I also like Scandinavian Modern = light oak floors, white walls, glass, chrome and LOTS of colourful art/furniture. That's me. A white floor does not come into play in my personal tastes...but for many people they REALLY want white. And they PAY for white every time something hits the floor.

Question to ask yourself BEFORE you do a white floor: Are you ready, willing and HAPPY to be a slave to your floors? If so...go ahead and purchase whatever version of white you want....cork or otherwise.

Go ahead and list the link to the brand you are hoping to work with. I'll check it out and see if it has any concerns with the finish.

• Michelle King Lindsey
    2 years ago

I would so appappreciate any help choosing a good brand of cork flooring! I would love to have grey or black and white diamond up against my 100 year old floor in the livingroom. So it would maybe complement but not match. It seems Globus in Alabaster and cement grey? Are they the only company with colored tiles?

• SJ McCarthy
    2 years ago

@Michelle King Lindsey You will need a glue down cork tile to get the checker/diamond pattern. That is a SERIOUS investment. I always estimate a glue down cork (especially in a pattern) is going to cost the same as a HIGH END PORCELAIN tile...once all the bills are paid. At the end of the project, with demolition & subfloor prep & tiles & finish & labour, I would expect to see a final bill of $12/sf (very low cost of living in the USA = 10 miles from the Mexican border) to $18/sf (regular Canadian City) or even $25/sf (Manhattan or Toronto high-rise).

Globus is an outstanding company. The other company I like for this specialty stuff = DuroDesign cork. They are in Laval Quebec (Canada). I've worked with them on a joint project. They are super knowledgeable and SUPER helpful. I'm guessing Globus will also be as enthusiastic as DuroDesign. When you are 'into cork' you are INTO cork! It's a disease...sigh.

Cork Flooring | DuroDesign (duro-design.com)

Go ahead and follow the link. The process for Duro Design is the same as with Globus. You pick your tile size and your colours. You then put into touch with someone local who can/will install the product for you. They do all the work for Globus/DuroDesign. If there is no one local, Globus/Durodesign will send a team (all part and parcel of that HEALTHY purchase price) to install the floor and to apply 1-3 coats of finish over it.

It takes an absolute IDIOT to 'kill' a Globus or Durodesign floor. I've seen it. It isn't pretty. The care/maintenance instructions on the website were too much for them to read. So they killed a $25,000 cork floor in 7 years. I'm still in therapy.

Let's just say the DAILY STEAM CLEANING is NOT good for cork...or wood...or stone...or laminate or vinyl or drywall or concrete...even porcelain has issues with it after 7 years. Grout HATES the over-use of steam. In other words OVER CLEANING is WORSE than not cleaning.

Homeowner: Know Thyself.

• Michelle King Lindsey
    2 years ago

Thanks! I have never removated anything! Ha! I will go check it out. maybe the floating planks are better-

• SJ McCarthy
    2 years ago

IF you want one colour, you can go with floating flooring. If you want the checker board, then go glue down. A floating floor in a kitchen needs the seams 'sealed' some how. There are seam sealers out there for laminate floors. I prefer a cork floor that can have MORE of the finish added to it at the time of the installation.

Cork floors can and will require some maintenance. The first 5-7 years will require additional finish (for those floors that have the APPROPRIATE finish on them). Once you've added 2 coats (first application) and then a third coat (5-7 years down the line) you should have a kitchen cork floor that gives you 30+ years.

If you want a cork floor that offers 100+ years, go with glue down. The Library of Congress received their cork floors in the 1890's...and they are still there!

• Lora P
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

SJ McCarthy - I need cork installation advice on a new build! We were super excited to get a quote we could afford for Duro Designs glue down tiles finished in place with one of their recommended US installers. However, when it came down to scheduling, our general contractor became uncomfortable with the guy Duro recommended - he said he didn't get his license information for our state and he seemed unprofessional in general - e.g., installation price was transmitted via a picture of a handwritten receipt and there is no company listed, just the guy's name. So, now we have the cork tiles sitting in our house waiting to be installed (we aren't quite ready). BUT, now that the general contractor is uncomfortable with the national guy Duro recommended, he found another local installer. This guy at first said since it's a new subfloor (OSB), he could just sand the seams and glue the cork to that. We read the installation instructions and this made us uncomfortable for two reasons 1) Is it flat enough - OSB has little pieces and they used nails, though they are below the level of the OSB? and 2) there would be a 1/2" transition almost to our tile bathrooms. So, he went back to his floor guy and now our installation cost with underlayment went up $12,000 from the guy Duro recommended that included underlayment (I never had a price before we insisted on underlayment from the new installer, but I think it was still $6,000 more than our original quote from the national guy). I feel like we are getting someone who is less familiar with the floor for more money, but the GC says he is uncomfortable with the national guy as there's no recourse if something goes wrong. I do not know what to do and am looking for thoughts of anyone familiar with glue-down cork flooring. Thanks!

• Grace Mai
    2 years ago

I had cork floors throughout my whole house and loved it! It was soft and also slightly sound dampening. My dishes hardly ever broke when dropped. We had both a dog and a cat and the floors were fine. In fact, I am looking to use it again on my new house. We had it everywhere but the mud room and the bathrooms. 6 years of wear and tear and it looked brand new. It did fade in the sun, but I didn't mind it.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3614-27th-St-N-Arlington-VA-22207/12061858_zpid/? 

• PRO
    User
    last year

Grace, that looks so nice. Curious what type of cork did you put in the new home?!