SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debra_evalds

Durable Siding/Cladding Advice for Mid-Atlantic Coastal Home on Budget

Debra Evalds
2 years ago

We bought a 1200 sg ft jewel box of a fixer on the edge of the marsh across from the inlet to the Atlantic Ocean in VA. Hence, the wind is steady, the sun is harsh, and storms will bring high winds and sideways rain. Home is on secure pilings, but I want to protect her from storms with the right siding/cladding. She has amazing views and I have a great vision for interior, which is going from an eighties contemporary with lots of light and high ceilings to a wood, charcoal/black, white, with color pops and a modern boho vibe.

Present cladding is T 1-11, and we plan to repair damaged areas and install new siding over. There are no termites.

My contractor likes CertainTeed vinyl siding because it doesn't need to be painted, or repainted, and it is low maintenance. The wind ratings are great on some of their products and some are insulated. I am looking at the woodgrain clapboard products with board and batten on front. I like the cost! My main concern is that it will fade and crack. I feel like I will have to choose a light color for fading, but I prefer darker tones. Vinyl Siding | Shop Styles, Types & Colors | CertainTeed

Contractor doesn't like Hardie due to painting. I don't like cost. It is a rustic seaside setting, so no need to keep up with the Hardie homes in the neighborhood! I am looking at Nichiha, but is seems to have same maintenance needs, but with lower cost?

I am exploring engineered wood, such as LP Smartside and would like more ideas. Explore our Engineered Wood Siding & Trim | LP Building Solutions (lpcorp.com)

I LOVE this Woodtone Rustic Lap product, which is a factoy finish applied on Allura, Hardie, or Smartside. Do other companie do this, esp on East Coast? Wood Look Siding, Shakes and Panels | RusticSeries™ | Woodtone

My Wish List....

No painting! Low maintenance! Durable to wind, sun, and won't fade badly. Modern vibe and prefer natural tones, charcoal, or barn red.

Pics are from listing and stirs will be the first to go. Deck shows the views, marsh, and sky, but also needs work. Putting video link in comments, if able.

Sorry so long and truly appreciate any advice or ideas!

Comments (23)