SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aka_catherinet

Neurotic fears about freezer breakdown?

catherinet (5IN)
2 years ago

Yeah, I tend to be neurotic about some things. I have a large upright non-auto defrosting Wood freezer. I guess the Wood company went out of business in 2009. I underestimated how long I've had this one and found my sales slip for it. Realized it was 21 years old. Every Spring, I defrost it. Now I'm noticing that it is making more intermittent sounds, which sound like expansion/contraction sounds. Hopefully, that's all it is. BUT.....it makes me crazy to think that it might die in the middle of winter, when it is stocked full of garden stuff.

I live out in the country, and if it were to die, it would take more than a couple days to get a new one brought out here. I guess there's no way of knowing when these things will die. What would you do in this situation? Yes, I could just buy a new one now, but other than it making these popping sounds more frequently, it's doing great.

And I'm a person to use something as long as I can. My last car was 15 years old when I traded it in, and our refrigerator is 31 years old and my washer and dryer are 42 years old!! I guess when you get as old as I am, you just try to be the one to go before your "stuff" does. haha

Just curious how you all would handle this problem........of not knowing the future of your freezer, with all your hard work inside it. Thanks!

Comments (4)