SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheer_tobias

Porch skirting / stairs skirting HELP!

Sheer Tobias
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

So I've finally completed the interior of the home and now have the challenge of updating the exterior with a limited budget. I know it's a big job but for now I'd like to focus on the porch, porch overhang, and definitely the skirting.

The porch has been unprofessionally put together about 5 yrs ago (by a relative), but is very solid. It's built on top of concrete steps. As you can see the skirting around the porch, and stairs, are just pieces of plywood slapped on. I've been thinking about what to do here and simply cannot figure out how to properly fix this, as the deck and stairs posts are "outside" of the structure (hopefully the picture will better explain). The stairs balusters have therefore also been placed on the "outside" of the stairs, and go all the way to the floor. I believe the deck and stairs were put together as an overthought as the large overhang and posts were put together first... the stairs and deck were put together after the fact, so it wasn't thought out holistically.

Should I completely demolish and rebuild the porch + overhang, or, repair just the front lower areas (replace plywood with cedar panels for example), and paint? Another option is the rip out the old deck and rebuild a new one completely (=$$). I'd really like to save this one if I can, however, am and on a budget. May also be selling in a couple years.

Any ideas on how to tackle the plywood pieces, and balusters?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (16)