SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_170614194

Mini Split Outdoor Unit Between Buildings

HU-170614194
2 years ago

I would like to install a mini-split in our house, but the only location available for the outside condenser unit is the area between our house and garage. All of the other walls on our house would be too close to a window and/or too far from the indoor unit (again, only one possible location indoors).

Our garage and house are eight feet apart with a concrete patio between them. There is no roof overhead, and nothing blocking airflow on the sides. Most location guidelines I see recommend 12" clearance on the left, 12" behind, 24" on the right, and about 80" in front. Unfortunately, if I factor in the depth of the outdoor unit, I would only have about 67" or so in front of the unit (96" - 17" depth - 12" rear clearance) .

One oddity is that manufacturers seem to recommend 12" behind the unit when mounting on the ground, or 6" when mounting on a wall bracket. Why the difference? Wouldn't 6" work for a ground mounted unit too?

I thought about turning the outside unit perpendicular to the house, but then it would stick out in the walkway area between the buildings.

Would I be Okay with the 67" distance between the condenser and the facing garage wall, or is a mini-split just not going to work in my situation?

Comments (3)