FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
essie21000

Cabinet Export Dilema

essie21000
last year

I need to remodel a kitchen in Los Cabos Mexico. I got two quotes to do custom cabinets with a local carpenter. One, I really didn't like the quality. The second, has the quality, but I haven't been able to get a final estimate. I am wondering if it will be a good idea to buy America Woodmark Pro (no warranty) and export to Mexico. I know the quality, and I will do Duraform door in white. Lead time is 3-4 weeks to the delivery agent. I am concern the cabinets may be delivered to the agent damage or damage during the transportation. Any advive I will really apprecite it.

Comments (13)

• strategery
    last year

Local is better for service if you have somebody reliable managing the project.

It's the same when building in Canada and getting key components from the US. Love the selection and quality... when it works out. :-(

• essie21000
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I am in the US. The carpenter wants me to select the color here, and send him the color name. The cabinets will be in solid Alder slab door.  Any info in what color I should look in SW (No pink no yellow, or beige, but light). I am not replacing the tile which is 12x12 pink.  Thank you so much!

• theotherjaye
    8 months ago

We used to live in La Paz.. Everyone there used local cabinet makers, many of whom were amazing.

• Aglitter
    8 months ago

A kitchen renovation very often includes new flooring, particularly if it is a material that should run underneath cabinetry like tile and hardwood. If there is any chance you won't like the pink tile in the future, you will thank yourself a million times over that you replaced it before putting down new cabinetry and countertops. You said you don't want pink on your cabinetry, so is pink flooring all right with you?

• essie21000
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I would change the floor, but the house is rented and the tenant doesn't want. I am okay with it.

• essie21000
    Original Author
    8 months ago

There is a lot of construcion in Los Cabos. All the carpenters referred by people I know were busy. Also a friend architect, who did the roof tile three years ago couldn't help me this time.

• Aglitter
    8 months ago

If it is a rental and you are allowing a current tenant to make major decisions that will affect the longevity of the remodel such as whether aging floor material will be replaced or not, ship IKEA cabinetry down there and do the cheapest countertop you can get away with would be my advice.

• essie21000
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Silverlined,  the tenant is the tenant that everybody wants, not demanding and easygoing. He even pays for minor repairs. How lucky I am! 
    I have been making all the decisions during my trips is April and June.  Hopefully, I will travel there next year. Thank you for your concern. The floor for the house will be done in the next remodel.

• essie21000
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Silverlined, not a good idea to do IKEA cabinet as the house is not in the US. The white cabinets you saw in the picture are RTA Mills Pride from Home Depot. They only lasted 15 years due to hurricane Lidia.

• Aglitter
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

When is your next remodel? Demolishing existing tile is going to be hard with retaining the cabinetry and counters you are about to put in unless your next remodel is another 15 years out and you will redo everything. There is a trend in some places to use freestanding kitchen cabinetry that can be moved easily as needed. You might think about that if the flooring will be redone in the next 10 years. Putting new flooring over tile is generally not recommended. Stainless steel and foam core cabinetry is also available that would more likely withstand hurricane damage if that is an ongoing concern. Porcelanosa has a sale on tile right now by the way, amazing quality at really good prices if you catch the sale.

• essie21000
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Silverlined. I am an architect in Mexico, so I totally understand your point of view. The cabinets are going to sit in a concrete base, so it can be saved if I want to. The question that I had was about the color of the cabinets. I am going to BM to find out what they have. Thanks anyway!

• Aglitter
    8 months ago

If flooding is a concern, a cabinetry installation method such as EZ-Level that raises cabinets a minimum of 1/8" above surrounding flooring could save a future hurricane-based remodel again. Putting cabinets below floor level affects toe kick and finished countertop heights which are important considerations for many consumers.

On color undertones, I know that some of the Benjamon Moore whites tend toward a green base. Some of the Sherwin Williams whites can look muddy, specifically Snowbound, which I recommend avoiding. White Dove is the color from Benjamin Moore that is mentioned most frequently here at Houzz as a favorite for white cabinetry, and some say it is Benjamin Moore's best neutral white. If your builder is using SW colors, however, it is much better to choose from SW than to ask for a match from another brand. You can do an internet search for undertones of any color in which you are interested and find out which way it leans. A pure white with no undertones will look gray in low light, so picking some undertone or another is actually better than a stark, pure white.